Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Stress induced waves

[Mo...]

Hi, I had a major stressor on aug 25th. 

im in one of the worst waves I’ve ever had starting September 13th. Would it take that long for a stress induced wave to appear or could this be something else? 

I think it can yes I don’t know how it’s so strange, I had a awful bout of flu last Xmas I was bed bound for two weeks and had increased symptoms then 4/5 weeks later I went back into acute wave , I won’t go into details as don’t want to trigger but I’m sure it had something to do with it 

It’s difficult to give you an answer with such limited information @[Mo...], but, I will say that if you experience a major stressor and fail to step back to allow your nervous system to calm, any following accumulation of minor stress/stressors that you may or may not even be aware of (overexerting yourself mentally, emotionally or physically), could absolutely trigger what may seem like a delayed onset of a major wave.

We often fall into the trap of trying to live our lives at the pace we did before the benzo damage, completely unaware of how we continually push ourselves closer to that edge…  then, all of a sudden - “the straw breaks the camels back.” 

Think of it like this… 

The major stressful event pushes you 90 - 95% toward the onset of a major wave, after which, those everyday things (thoughts, emotions, activities) which from a 0% baseline would normally have minimal impact on your nervous system, now, cause a major tremor in your system. Although you weren’t actually pushed directly into a wave by the major stressor, you may still have been pushed 90 - 95% toward your total threshold, after which, the body then experiences any ‘minor’ stressors as though they were ‘major’ stressors, and we then run a risk of pushing our nervous systems the remaining 5 - 10%, and over the edge we go…

16 hours ago, [[T...] said:

It’s difficult to give you an answer with such limited information @[Mo...], but, I will say that if you experience a major stressor and fail to step back to allow your nervous system to calm, any following accumulation of minor stress/stressors that you may or may not even be aware of (overexerting yourself mentally, emotionally or physically), could absolutely trigger what may seem like a delayed onset of a major wave.

We often fall into the trap of trying to live our lives at the pace we did before the benzo damage, completely unaware of how we continually push ourselves closer to that edge…  then, all of a sudden - “the straw breaks the camels back.” 

Think of it like this… 

The major stressful event pushes you 90 - 95% toward the onset of a major wave, after which, those everyday things (thoughts, emotions, activities) which from a 0% baseline would normally have minimal impact on your nervous system, now, cause a major tremor in your system. Although you weren’t actually pushed directly into a wave by the major stressor, you may still have been pushed 90 - 95% toward your total threshold, after which, the body then experiences any ‘minor’ stressors as though they were ‘major’ stressors, and we then run a risk of pushing our nervous systems the remaining 5 - 10%, and over the edge we go…

I love the way your explanation broke this down. Great way to look at it and realize it's not further damage just a bad time that is part of healing at this time in the journey.  I needed that reminder at this exact time. thanks!