Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Has anyone used the Stepping-Off Table taper successfully?

[LP...]

I've been on Tranxene (Clorazepate) for about a month at ~9mg/day, so I was wondering could I use the Stepping-Off Table method on this site: https://benzobuddies.org/benzodiazepine-withdrawal-methods/direct-taper/. Tranxene has a long half-life (100 to 200 hrs), so it's similar to Valium in that regard.

I"m using 1 and 1/4 pills presently, so I would step down:

1. Week: 1 pill/day
  2. Week 3/4 pill/day
  3. Week 1/2 pill/day
  4. Week 1/4 pill/day
  5. Done

Has anyone used this aggressive schedule sucessfully?

Thanks for any advice!

• Like 1

Hello @[LP...],

Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

I am not familiar with Clorazepate, but I wanted to say "hello" and get your account going.  We have a very kind, knowledgeable community here, so I am sure that other people who are familiar with it will be along soon to help you with this. 

We're glad you found us!

I did that taper with Valium and had no issues. However, Valium had a paradoxical effect on me and made me angry and irritable so I had to get off it asap. My taper was 2.5mg for a week, 1mg a week, then stopped. Original dose 5mg since 2020.

I have some WD symptoms, ankle/shin joint pain, benzo belly and that's about it. I jumped in June! If you do taper like that I hope it works well :)

• Like 1

Hello @[LP...]

After short-term use, to avoid the possibility of developing dependency during a protracted taper schedule, it is important to keep the taper short. Indeed, doctors will often recommend that you quit in a single step in this situation (and they would not be wrong to do so).

Having said that, a short taper, as you have outlined, might be beneficial. Before I say more, can you tell us your daily dose?

Yes. As I indicated, my daily does of Tranxene (Clorazepate) for about a month has been at ~9mg/day.

20 hours ago, [[L...] said:

Yes. As I indicated, my daily does of Tranxene (Clorazepate) for about a month has been at ~9mg/day.

Sorry, I missed that. So, a pretty low dose. I think your planned schedule is fine. I would generally advise to allow flexibility - adjusting your taper rate according to how you react. But at the same time, it is very important to avoid dependency - and you can develop dependency during a taper. So, in your shoes, I would suggest tapering off as swiftly as you can reasonably tolerate. After a month of use, you are already in the zone where you can develop dependency.