Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Moderators help please

please help due to another heath crisis I am on Klonopin for the 4th time since 2016 (also ativan 2012).  I'm also on olanzapine (zypreza) which is giving me nausea and cymbalta.  I can tell the klonopin doesn't work.  It takes the edge off only a little bit (on 1.5 MG).  Should I taper from both olanzapine and klonopin at the same time.  

I scared and have a difficult time with food. I think I went on Klon again in March but don't remember.  

If there is anyone within the forum that has info about zyprexa taper too, I greatly appereciate it.  Please help me, sorry for the desparate reply.  

Hi, @[Ch...], just to say how much i feel sorry for you. I don't know about olanzapine tapering, although know some ppl are prescribed it to deal with benzo wd. As far as i know, it's a very bad idea to come off two such medications at the same time. It'd be harder for your nervous system to sort out. I'm not sure but think klonopin would be better to taper off first as usual, especially if it doesn't work for you. 

Please, hang in there. I think despite any temporary misery brighter days are always bound to come if we're patient and consistent in what we do. Sending to you my support and wishing luck!

• Like 2

thank you Kate.  I need to get off of Olanz first as it's causing nausea and appitite issues.  Please pray for me in Jesus name if you believe in Jesus as you personal Savior.  Thank you

@[Ch...], i think if you have some particular reasons to come off olanzapine first, then it must be done. The priority is to listen to your body and do what it asks for. Yet, i think, you shouldn't taper off of both medications at once. It could be pretty hard and lead to additional complications.

Whichever, i'm sure the God will help you and i'll support you in my thoughts and here along with other buddies. Healing to you! 

• Love 1

I was on Olanzapine 5 mg for about 3-4 months, prescribed for drug withdrawal and insomnia. It stopped working eventually (because it's not really indicated for what it was prescribed for). I really didn't like how it made me very tired and depressed. It is quit powerful though. The way I tapered it was as following:

- 1 week of alternating 5mg and 2.5 mg. (It has a half life of 36 hours, so most of it is still in your system the next day).

- 1 week at 2.5 mg.

- 1 week alternating 2.5 mg and 1.25 mg.

- 1 week at 1.25 mg.

- 1 week of 1.25 mg every other day. 

- Finally I switched to 1.25 mg as needed for sleep (probably once every 3 days or so) and quit at some point. 

Please note that this is not really scientific. It's just what worked for me. If you face some resistance, you can do the same protocol but make it 2 weeks for each step instead of 1. Also please review this with your doctor. Olanzapine is very powerful, and if it was prescribed for a serious condition (psychosis, bipolar, ...etc) the symptoms will probably return with a vengeance. They may need to put you on a less potent AP like Seroquel. And finally, please don't taper both at the same time. Every drug withdrawal leads to huge brain imbalance, and you need to have all other systems working optimally to sustain you through the withdrawal. 

Best of luck to you. I wish you an easy road and fast recovery. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am stuck on zyprexa and Klon (and cymbalta).  Zyprexa is even worst then klon and I'm tolerante to klon on 1.5mg.  Since it's going to be a quite some time before I get off Zyprexa (olanzapine), should I up my Klonopin.  I can't sleep on 1 mg klon and the .5 I take in the a.m. does not help.  Should I bump up to 2 mg even though I don't want to.  I'm a mess, shaking and very scared.  I've been on klon 4 times sinces 2016, that's why tolerante.  Please help.  

Hi @[Ch...], I'm so sorry to hear how miserable you are, I'd hoped things had improved for you.  

You mention you won't be stopping Zyprexa anytime soon, are you looking to taper from the Klonopin or are you trying to find a way to survive the Zyprexa by staying on the Klonopin and raising your dose?  Will your doctor support you going up in dose?

I am trying to get rid of the horrible zyprexa first.  I have trembling anxiety and stomatch pain and b/c this is my 4th time since 2016 (currently 1.3mg) on klon, it's not working that great.  I'm almost afraid I'd have to updose 1mg or more, and I don't want to, I just don't know how to survive zyprexa.  

If you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, I ask for prayer.  Thank you Pamster.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hello @[Ch...]

I am so sorry that you are not feeling well. I hope and pray that you will feel soon better! 

I have found an article with information (see the table in it) how to taper off Olanzapine. https://psychiatryonline.org/doi/10.1176/appi.pn.2021.9.12

You can discuss this information with your doctor. 

If you decide to start the taper with the proposed reductions, allow at least 14 to 30 days between each reduction, while monitoring symptoms in order to see if you need to wait longer between reductions (even a month or longer).

I wish you good luck and a smooth taper!

4299F9AC-6E1D-438C-8726-F26A2DDC1DA2.png

Edited by [Tr...]
  • Like 1