Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Off Clonzepam & Temazepam 14 years now

It is 14 years since I have been freed from benzo addiction.  This site was so instrumental in helping me to figure out ways to get off these horrid drugs.  This site/members helped direct me so many times when my doctor deserted me after prescribing these drugs to me for almost 4 years.   See below the story I posted in April of 2019 when I was off for 9 years.  Sadly,  the severe tinnitus that developed is still pretty much there after cold turkey withdrawal(which was/is NEVER the way to go), then slowly weaning off with my last prescription of Temazepam over 4 months.  I just have learned to live with & deal with the tinnitus.

I have been off of benzos(Clonazepam & Temazepam) for almost 9 years.  I have no desire to go back on them because of all of the pain & grief to get off them after being on them for almost 4 years.  My doctor had thrown me to "the wind/wolves" after being on these two drugs so long that I began to build a tolerance with them.  If she knew she put me on the path to tolerance/addiction; she would have helped me get off through a tapering.  She did not.  I was told I was no longer a patient there.  I was not abusing the drugs, just building up a tolerance and following her adjustments to the meds.  When I was still in the throe of these drugs & still getting prescriptions; I had asked the nurse if she could give the doctor my request of needing a refill.  To paraphrase, the nurse blurted, "You've been on these drugs this long???!!!"  I said, "The doctor doesn't have a problem with it."  It wasn't long after, and I was no longer a patient.  Through the help of this site years ago, and a couple pharmacists somewhat help(obviously they didn't want to get in trouble)--I used the rest of my Temazepam prescription dosing from 25mg. in empty gel caps over a week or so to 20 to 15 to 10 to 5 and off over a period of about 4 months.  Prior to that, I didn't know &went cold turkey for about 3 weeks.  Had crazy heart beating so fast, severe back to back panic attacks, what I think might've been a couple of seizures (loud noises with bright lights flashing & jerking), visual & auditory hallucinations, aching, loss of appetite, etc., etc.  The buzzing/ringing in my ears never went away.  Will live with that reminder for the rest of my days.  Yet with God's help, I have been free of that chain. 

I just need to solidify this in my brain since I don't believe doctors have a clue in this area.    Once someone has been on benzos for an extended period of time(years) and is no longer taking them for years--if they ever went back on them for a very short time--less than 2 weeks, would they have severe problems getting off them again(even after a very short time) because of the past dependence on them for almost 4 years.?  This is just good to know.  Thanks.

Edited by [cr...]
  • Like 3

Thanks so much for sharing your story!

4 hours ago, [[c...] said:

Once someone has been on benzos for an extended period of time(years) and is no longer taking them for years--if they ever went back on them for a very short time--less than 2 weeks, would they have severe problems getting off them again(even after a very short time) because of the past dependence on them for almost 4 years.?  This is just good to know.  Thanks.

It is very difficult to tell as I’ve seen people on here going back into withdrawal after only a few doses, and some can tolerate a couple doses. Ultimately I personally don’t think the risk is worth it because those that are thrown back into withdrawal are so much worse than their previous withdrawal. 

Hi @[cr...]

Thank you for posting your update. Tinnitus can be difficult to manage, but I am happy to hear that you have learned to live with it.

The way you were treated by your doctor is terrible. Unfortunately, your story is far from unique. We often hear from members who have been thrown by the wayside by their doctor as soon as they experience the smallest difficulty. It is disgraceful and unprofessional behaviour.

I wish you the very best for the future.

@[cr...],

What a terrible experience you had with your doctor, sadly you are not the first to be dropped like a hot potato. Many of us, myself included, received misinformation about these types of drugs. Congratulations on freedom from being tethered to a prescription, I wish you all the best!

Thank you for coming back @[cr...], just hearing from older members will help our current ones feel more confident in their own recovery.  I too am sorry for how you were treated but glad you found the way through. :smitten:

Congrats on getting off these meds, and staying off even though you still suffer the tinnitus.  I know how hard that is to live with, but the fact that you’ve made it this far, and continue to push through, shows your strength.

As for taking benzos again and having the same reaction, just like everything else this is a highly individual experience and some are able to tolerate them and get off without issues, while others end up back in WD (sometimes even with one dose or a few).  You have come so far and healing is always happening!  You never know, this too might go away or lessen in intensity.

• Like 1