Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Diaz-Pam Here ....... There is Life After Benzos....

Hi everyone. I was an active member of BB from 2012 to around 2016. Some of the “Oldies” may remember me.

I joined after desperately trying to find a way to wean off the valium I was incorrectly prescribed due to menopausal insomnia. Thankfully, through the help of various members I learned how to do a liquid titration taper. Eventually I found my feet and hopefully paid forward that help and support by passing on the method to others.

My 2 year taper had its ups and downs, but mostly it was manageable and allowed me to continue to work and live life. In July this year I privately celebrated the 10 year anniversary of my very last valium dose.

I won't pretend it was initially plain sailing. I continued to have spates of post withdrawal symptoms for another 2 years, until around 2016, but over time they diminished and disappeared totally. 

After my taper was completed I stayed on BB for a time to offer what support I could, but left for reasons I won't go into now. I was very sad about that, because I really wanted to stay and help others, but my time on BB had come to an end and I needed to move on.

Since completely healing from my valium dependency my life has gotten better and better. I was eventually able to lose all the weight I gained during this dark time in my life, I retired from work in 2016, I’m happily single and enjoying life. 

I hope the liquid titration method I used is still being supported and passed on as it truly saved my life. Prior to learning how to do a very slow taper I honestly couldn't see a future for myself. I had 2 cats during those dark days, prior to BB, whom I believed saved me from ending my life. Sadly Oscar has since passed away, but Sophie is now 17 and doing well. 

My message to everyone is basically what the title above says - there is life after benzos. Don't judge your taper against anyone else’s, only go at the pace your body will allow, if you feel you need to hold then hold, if you feel you need to updose then updose. At one stage I needed to hold and updose for a couple of months. It was frustrating, but it was what I needed to do.

Not everyone needs to do such a slow taper like I did, but there are some who need to and they need to be supported. How ever you decide to taper, know that if you stick to a plan you will succeed and life will be good again.

Good luck and best wishes

Diaz-Pam (Robyn)

• Like 5
  • Love 5

Hello @[Di...], its wonderful to see you!  Our paths didn't cross before because I left in 2011 and retuned in 2019 but I've seen your name and posts and know you were a force for good!  

Thank you for coming back to offer hope, I don't know about you but I lived on Success Stories even though I didn't believe they were written by real people until I wrote one. ::)

I'm so glad to hear you're doing well, and thank you for offering advice to our members who are struggling and I'm glad you still have Sophie, my dog and kitties got me through some dark times as I'm sure yours did. :smitten:

@[Pa...]

• Like 3

Diaz-Pam, I remember you well and I am so glad that you helped me out so much with my Liq Taper, and yes I went really slow, but I walked off with only fumes and no Acute. I thank you many times over in my heart for giving your time and knowledge to me and others here. It was truly my best path off Valium.

May your life be blessed and you have all that you desire in life.

Kindly and with Respect.

Begood.

• Like 1

@[Di...],

Thank you very much for coming back and posting about your journey. It’s wonderful and a testament to the value of a peer support forum that people like you care enough about others going through this process to come back  and offer hope. 

• Like 1

I remember you!  I came on here when I was doing my benzo taper many years ago and I read a lot of your posts and comments.  I left for a very long time while I tapered off my benzo, and I recently came back for more support as I came off my AD 14 months ago and went into acute.

I always wondered what happened to some of the “older” ones who used to post and I’m glad to know you healed!  I can imagine it’s amazing!  It’s also good for me to hear it took about 2 years for your windows and waves to even out and then full healing unveiled.

It frustrates me to know that so many women are put on these psych drugs for menopausal/perimenopausal reasons and then their lives are turned upside down even more.  I wish there was more research and support for women’s  issues as half the planet are women!  Lol. But I’m glad you figured it out and are on the other side!

Thank you for your support and update! 

Hi @[Di...]/Robyn. This is a bit of blast from the past! As one of our more active members from many years ago, you left (and your posts continue to leave) a mark. The past trove of posts from long ago active members continue to support our newer members.

Thank you coming back to post your positive message to members going through withdrawal and recovery.

• Like 1

Hi @[Di...]

Such a beautiful post. You were a pivotal part of many BB recoveries, your unwavering support back in the day was truly appreciated. A heartfelt Thankyou for your titration plan which I used to get off multiple medications and have since passed on to many over the years.

So happy that your life has continued to soar to new and better heights.

luv n hugs 🤗 

Gypsygal

• Like 2

Hi @[Di...]. I am so happy to hear from you! :love:   Robyn, you were pivotal in my Benzo recovery . . . coaching me as I tried to understand the liquid titration method. I  recall one message you sent me that said "By George I think she's got it!" when I finally did "get it". Anyhow, its nice to hear from you and learn that you're okay . . . and even better than okay. Sorry to hear about Oscar, but you have Sophie still, and I hope she's doing well at 17. One of my cats, Cricket, lived to be 25! Anyhow, thank you, thank you, from the bottom of my heart. If not for your liquid titration method, I wouldn't have made it off benzos. Say, any chance you'd stick around?

Best wishes,

Katz

Edited by [or...]
  • Like 4

On 16/09/2024 at 21:15, [[D...] said:

Hi everyone. I was an active member of BB from 2012 to around 2016. Some of the “Oldies” may remember me.

I joined after desperately trying to find a way to wean off the valium I was incorrectly prescribed due to menopausal insomnia. Thankfully, through the help of various members I learned how to do a liquid titration taper. Eventually I found my feet and hopefully paid forward that help and support by passing on the method to others.

My 2 year taper had its ups and downs, but mostly it was manageable and allowed me to continue to work and live life. In July this year I privately celebrated the 10 year anniversary of my very last valium dose.

I won't pretend it was initially plain sailing. I continued to have spates of post withdrawal symptoms for another 2 years, until around 2016, but over time they diminished and disappeared totally. 

After my taper was completed I stayed on BB for a time to offer what support I could, but left for reasons I won't go into now. I was very sad about that, because I really wanted to stay and help others, but my time on BB had come to an end and I needed to move on.

Since completely healing from my valium dependency my life has gotten better and better. I was eventually able to lose all the weight I gained during this dark time in my life, I retired from work in 2016, I’m happily single and enjoying life. 

I hope the liquid titration method I used is still being supported and passed on as it truly saved my life. Prior to learning how to do a very slow taper I honestly couldn't see a future for myself. I had 2 cats during those dark days, prior to BB, whom I believed saved me from ending my life. Sadly Oscar has since passed away, but Sophie is now 17 and doing well. 

My message to everyone is basically what the title above says - there is life after benzos. Don't judge your taper against anyone else’s, only go at the pace your body will allow, if you feel you need to hold then hold, if you feel you need to updose then updose. At one stage I needed to hold and updose for a couple of months. It was frustrating, but it was what I needed to do.

Not everyone needs to do such a slow taper like I did, but there are some who need to and they need to be supported. How ever you decide to taper, know that if you stick to a plan you will succeed and life will be good again.

Good luck and best wishes

Diaz-Pam (Robyn)

Thanks for returning and updating. It is great to hear you are doing so well. 👍

Yes @[Co...] she was the oldest of the many cats I've owned. At the end she was  pretty demented and couldn't find the litterpan, but until her dementia she was a dignified old lady cat! 

Katz

Edited by [or...]
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, [[o...] said:

Yes @[Co...] she was the oldest of the many cats I've owned. At the end she was  pretty demented and couldn't find the litterpan, but until her dementia she was a dignified old lady cat! 

Katz

I've a couple of cats - both strays - fantastic creatures. I don't know if I would ever go somewhere to get a cat (or any pet), but these two turned up on the doorstep. No, not together. :) They are in their early teens - hard to be certain of their age.

• Like 1

On 18/09/2024 at 13:06, [[o...] said:

Katz

25, wow. After googling, I learned something new.

image.thumb.png.9a33922ed590a7da2f1aa29660285fb3.png

Here is a cat age calculator if you are lazy like me and don't feel like doing the math. LOL

image.thumb.png.2d83d8020cdca2bc45d74d9fd81585fb.png

https://www.omnicalculator.com/biology/cat-age

Wow Oregon, your cat lived a long, healthy, and hopefully happy life. 👍

• Like 1

On 18/09/2024 at 14:20, [[C...] said:

I've a couple of cats - both strays - fantastic creatures. I don't know if I would ever go somewhere to get a cat (or any pet), but these two turned up on the doorstep. No, not together. :) They are in their early teens - hard to be certain of their age.

I have two female cats from the same litter. They are almost one year old. I was a dog lover when I was young, but I now prefer cats.

• Like 1

Yes @[An...] Cricket indeed lived a healthy and happy life with me and my partner. We found her as a kitten abandoned outside (maybe 4 weeks old) and she lived as a spoiled indoor cat -- moved with us from CA to OR, was spayed, had all her shots. But old cat lady dementia got her and we had to send her over the Rainbow Bridge at 25. She was much loved and is greatly missed. 116 human years . . . wow!

• Like 2