Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Clonazepam taper update

[ba...]

Hi guys!

Been going through some stuff at home doctor called me today. He has already adjusted my taper to 0.5 decreases from every 2 weeks to 3 weeks until finish.

Finally got some good news that he will hold my taper at 2 mg until situations at home get under control as well as the withdrawals. Some good news as I am set in a few days to go to 2.5 mg.

Question: I am finding panic uncontrollable panic and can't sleep at night on top of that. Will the panic get better or do withdrawals sometimes last years? I'm just stuck at home with family looking after my son who's 5 years old. Wife hasnt come for him for 50 days and that will probably be more panic. Money money money my greedy brother talks about all day and he's just got my parents under his control.

I need to find a way out as my 5 year old doesn't understand anything yet. 

If I challenge them they get mad I'd I don't it plays in my mind. Feel trapped more than ever and no confidence to even go grab a glass of water. Anyone else finding withdrawals and tapering at home is not a good idea? Have no one else to talk to so just got u guys! Thanks.

Hey @[ba...], that's good news about your doctor letting you hold for awhile, but I sure hope you can talk him out of tapering you by .5 mgs each time, that could get pretty painful. 

Your panic sounds terrible, do you have chronic anxiety and panic or is this a result of your taper?  

I'm sorry things aren't good at home, hopefully you're keeping your son distracted so he won't feel the tension you're feeling with your living situation, it sounds pretty uncomfortable. 

I agree @[Pa...] big drops but he went very slow at the start so he was good to me. Holding it at 2 mg is good enough news because the taper will be a year in 3 or 4 month. I am struggling that's why he said he will hold.

Of course I asked and he originally had me dropping by 0.5 every two weeks then changed to 2 weeks a month or so ago so he doesn't give me charge of my own taper but he does help especially stopping at 2 mg is a big one.

Got to take what u can get with docs down here. Public system.

Doctors are reacting to the benzo crisis. Unfortunately the fact that 15 to 25 percent have a tough time and need to taper at there own speed has not been communicated well to the doctors. 

Give your doctor the Ashton manual. If you're one of the unlucky ones it can get very difficult.

Remember to bite your tongue when dealing with the people who can help you and your boy. They will never understand.

Sorry for the late response living he'll on earth eith toxic family/and wife ex wife.

I got hooked back when benzos were given like candy and no one I knew ever said the word addiction

People getting hooked from most posts I've read are getting hooked nowadays and doctors won't even give them especially innhigh quantities.

My main issue is trusting people mainly family

Have me locked up basically like a treatment centre but treating me like garbage yet still expecting taper to be over by now.

If I stayed at a treatment centre now it would work much better than these a holes.

Doctor understands and everyone understands but family is just garbage.

Thanks as always wishing everyone a safe journey!

@[...] appreciate the comment regarding my son and i!

Gets hard when your tapering and j know u have to do it as your kid when he's 8 and older will leave me even if I'm still taking benzos. 

My dad keeps saying "you said 8 months at the start you should be done". It's like u have all them then you have the courts possibly and definitely the wife watching. 

How severe will the withdrawals be and will I be able to be jolly old dad only time will tell. 

With drops every 3 weeks by 0.5 2.5mg will take 4 month roughly so if I follow the doctor family will act wild.

What can u do kid kadoo(:

I feel for you. I had a similar problem with an x wife and a son. I stayed on benzos a long time. I quit after my son was grown. I got very sick for a long time.

Highly recommend you mentioning or giving a copy of this to or Dr.  I know it’s expensive but can def help this process as they learn more and more thru this  manual. The ‘maudsley’ accreditation is what’s used by Drs to prescribe the meds so now there is a deprescribing guide.

https://www.amazon.com/Maudsley-Guidelines-prescribing-Prescribing/dp/111982298X

5-10% of your current dose per month is what keeps people stable usually. Some have it much tougher , some do ok quicker…. But your Dr has you on a path that might crash and recovering after tapering too fast takes a good bit of time. So take it from someone who did crash and the polydrugged bc of the symptoms which makes it worse , go slow, and you can always increase your taper % along the way if you’re doing good.

You have a 5yrs old that needs you to be stable and a slower taper is usually the way to make that happen. That is take consistent time every day, not on full stomach so it can absorb fully, look at compounding options if shaving and weighing gets too tedious…. This has helped people also get more stable if the shave and weigh is feeling unsteady. Some do ok with it all the way down.  
for reference, 0.5mg moderate taper speed is around 6-7 months to come off. 
listen to your body and right now seems to be giving clear signals that holding and then slowing down your taper while you have the chance.

remember it’s always easier to speed up a little than to be plowing ahead based on drs schedule who has zero skin in the game and knows very little based on how they are advising, and crash. Which crashing can mean completely debilitated and doesn’t work well when you have a young one to look after and dependent on you.

Hope once you start tapering again you find your Goldilocks lane to stay functional! It can be much less hell if you listen to your body and likely sleep wil be decent and panic will be less bc your body and brain can try to regulate as you taper instead of being shell shocked by big chunks quickly. 

• Like 1

@[...] appreciate the comment regarding my son and i!

Gets hard when your tapering and j know u have to do it as your kid when he's 8 and older will leave me even if I'm still taking benzos. 

My dad keeps saying "you said 8 months at the start you should be done". It's like u have all them then you have the courts possibly and definitely the wife watching. 

How severe will the withdrawals be and will I be able to be jolly old dad only time will tell. 

With drops every 3 weeks by 0.5 2.5mg will take 4 month roughly so if I follow the doctor family will act wild.

What can u do kid kadoo(:

@[Bo...] I totally need to go slower.

Fqmily pressures are intense as i live with my brother mother father sister in law. U can feel them watching and my only shot is to finish the way they want but I am using other meds and I don't care I can taper off of pregablin for ages and take some zopiclone for a couple months as it doesn't show up on urine tests. 

I am doing OK with 0.5 drops every 3 weeks with added meds.

It's going to end up being a year long taper. The meds I just mentioned don't show on home urine tests so that's my plan unfortunately. I need to get people I hate to stop looking at me and give me money that I was promised if I finish the taper. Too much pressure from them. 

Stuck at home for 8 months unless I go with someone in the family. I do go alone but transit wirh a 5 year old or Uber like it's just annoying and expensive. 

Thanks guys

Hey guys just wanted to say the person I was calling dad and me are done so slow tapering on. Long story short!

Just ignore him totally let me bark I can't taper here it's a shit show money talk all day like I'm our of here. I'll be alone with my kid but away from negative contradicting two faced oddball.

I'm going to hold.at 2mg. The end is too fragile j can't say bye to benzos that easy lol