Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Tinnitus worse past two weeks- do waves of tinnitus happen?

[Sw...]

Has anyone had waves of tinnitus that were bad then got better? I have this sound like a high pitch laser that pierces my ear then stops, will happen for a few hours, go away, come back, happen in the evening more than during the day. Has been consistent for past two weeks. What is happening??

Since tinnitus is a symptom and our symptoms wax and wane, then I'd say yes @[Sw...], waves of tinnitus happen.  Is tinnitus your worst symptom or are you blessed with many awful ones?

Hi @[Pa...] tinnitus is my worst symptom. And it’s been terrible since my most recent period. It was my first period since my daughter was born. And so the tinnitus in my right ear since has been very bothersome. Idk if im in a wave from the hormone change or what is happening. It’s incredibly sharp sounding, loud, and comes and goes all day. 

That sounds excruciating @[Sw...], I'm so sorry you're suffering.  We used to have a support group that discussed the impact of hormones on this process, even the monthly causes problems so I've no doubt they're playing a role.

Its been awhile for me but I remember some periods would be worse than others, I wonder if that might be the case?  Hopefully, things will settle in a few days and might not be as bad next month.  

Did you experience tinnitus before benzo's or is this a new addition, it seems like we get hit the hardest at our weakest link. 

48 minutes ago, [[S...] said:

Hi @[Pa...] tinnitus is my worst symptom. And it’s been terrible since my most recent period. It was my first period since my daughter was born. And so the tinnitus in my right ear since has been very bothersome. Idk if im in a wave from the hormone change or what is happening. It’s incredibly sharp sounding, loud, and comes and goes all day. 

@[Sw...] I had a big spike in tinnitus my last period and it led me to believe that yes, there is a hormonal component. I know someone who had a thyroid issue and it turned out to be the cause of her tinnitus. (Not suggesting that is what you have.) If it is coming and going, that is actually a good sign. Mine is constant and not such a good sign. I hope it goes soon. I relate. It is my worst symptom as well. Much love to you.

@[Pa...] @[Re...]

thabk you both for the encouragement. I really need it. I’ve had tinnitus for years but coming off benzos gave me a “new” tinnitus. The tinnitus I’m experiencing now is what came after benzos. It comes and goes on top of my normal tinnitus which is made louder since withdrawal. 

This piercing tinnitus is like someone doing Morse code. It’s not a consistent sound. And it can go for hours in a day then come back for hours. On and off every day. I don’t know what to think as it makes no sense and is unlike my usual tinnitus. It began last year but lessened down to once every few weeks it would be this sound. Now it’s been two weeks straight. 

:((

So my theory is holding true about our symptoms seemingly being more pronounced where we typically have issues, but I like what @[Re...] had to say about it not being constant, I see that as a good sign too.  New tinnitus on top of the old tinnitus, the suffering this process heaps on us is diabolical! :tickedoff:

• Like 1

@[Pa...] yes I feel like because tinnitus is the worst symptom, if it were relieved I could handle all the other symptoms and just accept them. This is difficult to accept because it intrudes into my ear and cannot be covered. I hope in time it goes away. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, [[P...] said:

You're not alone with this terrible symptom @[Sw...], did you see this story?

I am glad this member has made such progress. It seems the 2-3 year mark is a key time of accelerated healing for some people. It is hard for me to hear stories about tinnitus not going away. I can't imagine living like this, @[Pa...]. Did you have it too?

28 minutes ago, [[R...] said:

I am glad this member has made such progress. It seems the 2-3 year mark is a key time of accelerated healing for some people. It is hard for me to hear stories about tinnitus not going away. I can't imagine living like this, @[Pa...]. Did you have it too?

I had a very mild case that went away when I recovered, nothing like what I've seen described here.  I can't imagine not being able to escape the sounds in your head, to not have peace. 

@[Re...] I understand feeling like it would be impossible to live with tinnitus or not be happy without silence. When you habituate to your tinnitus you forget it’s there so often that you catch yourself in silence a lot before realizing you have tinnitus. That used to happen to me all the time. I had habituated well to my original tinnitus. This benzo withdrawal tinnitus is harder and not as easy to get accustomed to… but I believe it gets better, quieter and softer as we habituate. 

in the case of benzos I think in time tinnitus can change and become better. Or even go away. Unlike tinnitus from hearing loss, infection, so forth. 

the tinnitus you have today, is it the same as when you first tapered, better, or worse? 

On 17/09/2024 at 18:48, [[P...] said:

I had a very mild case that went away when I recovered, nothing like what I've seen described here.  I can't imagine not being able to escape the sounds in your head, to not have peace. 

How long did it take to go away @[Pa...]?

On 17/09/2024 at 19:04, [[S...] said:

@[Re...] I understand feeling like it would be impossible to live with tinnitus or not be happy without silence. When you habituate to your tinnitus you forget it’s there so often that you catch yourself in silence a lot before realizing you have tinnitus. That used to happen to me all the time. I had habituated well to my original tinnitus. This benzo withdrawal tinnitus is harder and not as easy to get accustomed to… but I believe it gets better, quieter and softer as we habituate. 

in the case of benzos I think in time tinnitus can change and become better. Or even go away. Unlike tinnitus from hearing loss, infection, so forth. 

the tinnitus you have today, is it the same as when you first tapered, better, or worse? 

When I first came off benzos it was so loud I ... well... ended up in a psych ward. It was that and the akathisia. It is not the same as it was two years ago but it stays the same all the time. Sounds like a high-pitched hissing noise like someone has the shower water running all the time. It gets louder whenever I eat.

Just now, [[R...] said:

How long did it take to go away @[Pa...]?

I think my tinnitus left before I declared myself fully recovered, so I only had it for a few months.  It wasn't very intense for me so I'm not really sure when it left. 

1 minute ago, [[P...] said:

I think my tinnitus left before I declared myself fully recovered, so I only had it for a few months.  It wasn't very intense for me so I'm not really sure when it left. 

I see. It is one of my worst symptoms. But then again, I have had many of the worst.