Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Some Personal Reflections

Well, hello everyone. And a special welcome back to those who were long ago active at BB.

I think it was probably from a mixture of naturally not thinking this far ahead, and in the hope (or expectation?) that benzodiazepine prescribing habits would have radically changed by now, but I surely did not expect BenzoBuddies to still be here after all this time. Alas, it is, we are, and continuing to fulfill a need for support. I wonder when online benzodiazepine withdrawal support communities will be consigned to history? And if BenzoBuddies will be here in another 20 years?

There is now better recognition that benzodiazepine dependency is real and common, with some subsequent improvements in prescribing practices. Although benzodiazepines are still regularly prescribed way outside of (the newer) guidelines, increasingly, it is for only short-term use. This is very positive. There are, however, negative forces in play too, but let's focus on the positives in our message to this this forum.

As of writing, we have over 34,000 active accounts, and of them, more than 32,200 members have posted at least once. There are also many former members who closed their accounts when they 'graduated' from BenzoBuddies. That's a lot of people who have sought help from, and provided help to, our peer-support community over the past 20 years.

Rather than offering peer-support, most other online benzodiazepine support communities operated more in a top-down manner. I think part of the reason BenzoBuddies has survived when so many other communities have folded is because we always properly understood the importance of peers providing support. It is not possible, no matter how dedicated and well-intentioned, for a team to provide all the heavy lifting. Besides, the BB leadership have never claimed to have all the answers. This is why each and every one of you are so important to the running and longevity of this community. Helping each other, and in a spirit of paying it forward, has allowed BenzoBuddies to continue its mission to help those experiencing difficulties with benzodiazepine use and withdrawal. I applaud you all.

Although we are structured as a peer-support community, the team play a vitally important role too. They provide structure and keep the community running smoothly. But let's not forget that they are peers too. They are going or have gone through what you are going or have gone through. I do not know how many team members we come and gone over the years - a lot. I regret that I did not keep a tally. But I wish them all (old and new) to know just how much their time and efforts have been (and are) greatly appreciated and so vitally important.

As for me: creating BenzoBuddies and keeping it going provided me with focus and purpose when I needed it. It sometimes has been frustrating, but it always has been worth it. It has been a pleasure.

Though the specifics of our situations might vary, it is our shared experience of benzodiazepine use and withdrawal which binds us. BenzoBuddies could not have operated without the efforts of you all over the years, engaging with each other, listening, sharing ideas, and providing support to your fellow travelers.

You've been great!

• Like 7
  • Love 3

@[Co...]

I think one of the reasons this site has managed to survive is you. Your non-judgemental, calm and tolerant attitude. You have never acted as though you were The Boss here. Except for technical matters. I've also admired your tolerance and openness towards different views. The true power lies in modesty and humility. One can have control over countless people. It means nothing if one doesn't have control over oneself. Sorry, my thoughts could be a bit incoherent and I might edit later, but this is the first thing that came to my mind. So I thought I'd write before I forget. 

IMG_8137.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 4

6 hours ago, [[E...] said:

@[Co...]

I think one of the reasons this site has managed to survive is you. Your non-judgemental, calm and tolerant attitude. You have never acted as though you were The Boss here. Except for technical matters. I've also admired your tolerance and openness towards different views. The true power lies in modesty and humility. One can have control over countless people. It means nothing if one doesn't have control over oneself. Sorry, my thoughts could be a bit incoherent and I might edit later, but this is the first thing that came to my mind. So I thought I'd write before I forget. 

IMG_8137.jpeg

Hi @[Es...]. No, no. Your thoughts are plenty clear - and I have now captured them for posterity in my quote. :)

Thank you for your very kind words. I make no claim to be nonjudgmental in character (IRL), but I do aim for this at BB. Of course, I sometimes fail, but I continue to try. Thank you for not highlighting where I have failed. :)

And thank you for taking the time to comment. It is appreciated.

• Like 1

I honestly don’t know where I would be without BB.  I joined many years ago when I found myself in benzo hell with being put on them and then tapering.  I received very useful advice and then I took a VERY long break as I was also put on an AD.   I came off my benzo over 4 years ago with the help of this site and I came off my AD 14 months ago.

BB and Baylissa are the only sites I now come to for support and to read success stories.  The information, guidance and encouragement I have received have been invaluable to me and once I am fully recovered my hope is to be more active.

The sheer number of people that have been helped, even in a small way, by this website is not to be overlooked and without you developing this site, it scares me to think where all of us would be.

I applaud your works, efforts and continued support!  Thank you! 

• Like 3

Hi @[Rh...]

Thank you for your kind words and taking the trouble to comment. I am happy that you found support at BB and elsewhere in your journey off benzodiazepines and into recovery.

I see that you have remained active and provide support to members. This is very much appreciated. Of course, it is not always possible for old members to do this (some need to move on for understandable reasons), but when members do stick around, it really does help those going through process to hear from old hands. This is why this Celebrations forum is important. It allows those who have long since recovered (and moved on), but still have something to say, to drop by and offer encouragement.

It has been great to hear from old hands and new members alike.

• Like 1