Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

How to move states and change doctors but also not die from withdrawal?

[to...]

I'm thinking of applying to public housing in other states.  Thing is, if I do get accepted I'd have a pretty narrow window to find a new doctor.

And then my guess is the doctor would send me into deadly or near deadly withdrawal.  I've been benzos for over a decade and am not healthy enough for a rapid withdrawal.

I just know I can't afford to live here long term.

Edited by [to...]

1 hour ago, [[t...] said:

I'm thinking of applying to public housing in other states.  Thing is, if I do get accepted I'd have a pretty narrow window to find a new doctor.

And then my guess is the doctor would send me into deadly or near deadly withdrawal.  I've been benzos for over a decade and am not healthy enough for a rapid withdrawal.

I just know I can't afford to live here long term.

Maybe let people know the states you're considering, and people might know of benzo-wise doctors there whom you can check out prior to committing to a move?

@[to...],

I had to move suddenly (about a month's notice to another state, about 500 miles) while I was still taking Clonazepam.  I talked to my current doctor at the time and she was willing to give me enough refills to get me through several months while I looked for a new doctor.  She also had some suggestions for doctor's offices I might call in my new state.  

And to clarify, neither one of those doctors in either state knew how to taper.  The one here was just willing to prescribe while I worked out a taper schedule.

Any chance your doctor would be willing to do this for you?  I know I was very fortunate and not all doctors are willing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/09/2024 at 23:19, [[B...] said:

@[to...],

I had to move suddenly (about a month's notice to another state, about 500 miles) while I was still taking Clonazepam.  I talked to my current doctor at the time and she was willing to give me enough refills to get me through several months while I looked for a new doctor.  She also had some suggestions for doctor's offices I might call in my new state.  

And to clarify, neither one of those doctors in either state knew how to taper.  The one here was just willing to prescribe while I worked out a taper schedule.

Any chance your doctor would be willing to do this for you?  I know I was very fortunate and not all doctors are willing.

I can get a 3 month supply from my doctor.

On 12/09/2024 at 21:52, [[C...] said:

Maybe let people know the states you're considering, and people might know of benzo-wise doctors there whom you can check out prior to committing to a move?

It's a good idea.  But the main issue, which I talked about in a prior thread, is that I'm pretty sure I cannot safely withdrawal anymore.  So the chances of finding a doc who will allow indefinite usage, even using connections through this forum, seem slim. Dunno tho.

I would start the taper now if I were you , to get a jump on it and go on your terms, in the mean time, it will stretch your three month script.