Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

How do I not believe the "benzo lie"?

How do I NOT believe the so-called benzo lies when everything seems so real?? The mental anguish (paranoia, anxiety, intrusive thoughts) are incredibly real. I don't know who I am. Everything just floods into my mind. What do you guys do?? Thanks.

• Like 3

Every feeling and though at this point is a symptom. So is that racing mind trying to find insurance..

• Like 1

We all know it's a symptom. My question is what are people doing to handle this.

Anyone, please.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, [[B...] said:

We all know it's a symptom. My question is what are people doing to handle this.

Anyone, please.

Ok sorry.

• Like 2

When you get moments of yourself when Everything's not going on that's how I remind myself of who I am and what's to come after it

• Like 3

Managing anxiety, paranoia, depression and fears is what got us all unto this benzo mess in the first place! 😁 Its the human condition to feel all these things, some handle it better than others but it isn't that easy tame it down as if its not there.

This being said, most of these  mental symptoms are basically moods that ever change with the chemical make up of our brains. Withdrawing especially upsets the delicate balance of chemicals in our brain and its easy to go off the deep end. Learning to not respond to these illusions we think are real at the time is the key. I wish I could tell you that I've mastered my dragons, I have not. But I can tell you that learning to relax and breathe properly goes a long way in dealing with anxiety, paranoia, depression, panic attacks, etc... This stuff passes eventually and relaxing and breathing helps stabilize your thoughts so you react less to the stress. This compounds itself and over time stressors lower themselves making these demons more tolerable. Best wishes!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, [[T...] said:

Managing anxiety, paranoia, depression and fears is what got us all unto this benzo mess in the first place! 😁 Its the human condition to feel all these things, some handle it better than others but it isn't that easy tame it down as if its not there.

This being said, most of these  mental symptoms are basically moods that ever change with the chemical make up of our brains. Withdrawing especially upsets the delicate balance of chemicals in our brain and its easy to go off the deep end. Learning to not respond to these illusions we think are real at the time is the key. I wish I could tell you that I've mastered my dragons, I have not. But I can tell you that learning to relax and breathe properly goes a long way in dealing with anxiety, paranoia, depression, panic attacks, etc... This stuff passes eventually and relaxing and breathing helps stabilize your thoughts so you react less to the stress. This compounds itself and over time stressors lower themselves making these demons more tolerable. Best wishes!

1+

I love this! Mastering those dragons is key for sure! I'm 93 days post jump and I know I'll learn to master breathing in the future. Once the brain learns that anxiety is beatable it'll lose interest in trying to keep it in check. Thanks for this post! Great stuff 💯

• Like 2
  • Love 1

breathwork, meditation and self hypnosis work for me when my head is trying to eat me alive with dragons. also walking in nature or just physically moving my body in some way shake it off. tapping, stretches.

• Like 4

Yes, unfortunately this is one of the bad symptoms of the benzo withdrawal.  Fortunately, we can help each other in knowing we're not going crazy and this will pass. One of the best things that helps me is distractions. Seriously, I can feel that I'm just about to lose it, and I make the decision to do something. I call someone, help someone, play with my grandkids, go shopping, etc. Anything to get my mind on something or someone else. Do I always want to or feel like I can do any of those things? No! But it's amazing how much better I feel when I do. :smitten:

• Like 5
  • Love 1

57 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

Yes, unfortunately this is one of the bad symptoms of the benzo withdrawal.  Fortunately, we can help each other in knowing we're not going crazy and this will pass. One of the best things that helps me is distractions. Seriously, I can feel that I'm just about to lose it, and I make the decision to do something. I call someone, help someone, play with my grandkids, go shopping, etc. Anything to get my mind on something or someone else. Do I always want to or feel like I can do any of those things? No! But it's amazing how much better I feel when I do. :smitten:

I feel the same thing when I go swimming or walking! It really helps quite a lot! Great distraction!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/09/2024 at 12:05, [[B...] said:

How do I NOT believe the so-called benzo lies when everything seems so real?? The mental anguish (paranoia, anxiety, intrusive thoughts) are incredibly real. I don't know who I am. Everything just floods into my mind. What do you guys do?? Thanks.

In what way do you not know who you are? I’ve been feeling the same way