Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

1984?

[st...]

The first emergence of a swallowable electronic device was in 1957.

The first digital pill to be openly approved was in 2017, an example of ingestible sensors embedded in tablets:

"Abilify MyCite (aripiprazole) is a tablet formulation of the approved atypical antipsychotic aripiprazole embedded with an ingestible Proteus® sensor that communicates with a wearable sensor patch and a medical software application to measure adherence in the treatment of adults with schizophrenia, bipolar I disorder, and major depressive disorder."

"Experts though, have expressed concerns over what the pill might mean for privacy. Some are worried that tracking pills will be a step towards punishing patients who don’t comply."

Now sensors come in many types, not just to monitor medication compliance:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_pill

I’m no psychologist but does the need to impose this level of surveillance on people border on some kind of paranoia or maybe fear of the masses?

Wow. Just wow. That's a completely terrifying thing to imagine, especially after hearing all of the stories of patients who suffered from Protracted Withdrawal Injury from Abilify!!

I hardly think that it's ethical for the Baker Act to be used as frequently as it is, as well as how once you're already at a facility they will threaten you with "committing" if you don't comply with meds. Just because someone suffers from a mental illness doesn't mean that they are completely undeserving of the right to bodily autonomy.

Having patients ingest a sensor that will detect if they miss a dose, or CHOOSE not to take it, is seriously a next-level human rights violation in my mind. And the fact that it's imbedded in a tablet... I have a bad feeling that patients could potentially be tricked into swallowing it, especially if they have a history of not consistently taking their medication... Which, again, is a choice that only they can make!

• Love 1

Information is power so I think the tracking ability, that such sensors provide, is just another step for the power hungry to become all knowing and therefore all powerful.

Unfortunately, most of us are tricked to go along. Some accept it reluctantly but still without protest. They either threaten us by fear mongering through the media, put us in checkmate situations at work and school, or we are peer pressured by those around us who were themselves threatened.

Ultimately it is still our choice to prioritize living free over constant compliance. When I learned the ‘what, how, and why’ of this world, my choices became crystal clear. Their tactics of fear, dependence, and groupthink were a great incentive for me to get off their crap.

• Like 1