Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Dark Mode Theme

[Co...]

[f6...]
15 hours ago, [[J...] said:

The only slightly strange color is the purple in my opinion and lighter shade of purple

@[Co...] i agree @[Js...] here, kick out purple, blue is fine and the rest is fine so far.

[f6...]
3 hours ago, [[C...] said:

Hi all,

I've made two quick changes. I've created an alternative Dark Mode theme ('Dark (beta 2)). I've simplified the main colours. let me know what you think.

And I've moved the announcement to the top of the site - this type can clicked off at the right.

@[Co...] i cant really see the difference between mode 1 and 2 but both have that ugly purple... :(

20 minutes ago, [[i...] said:

This is a great improvement! The forum looks awesome!

I keep tweaking the colours. I am having some problems targeting an element I'd like to change. So, the colours might go a bit strange from time-to-time (generally reversed within 30 seconds).

If there are any CSS gurus here, I am trying to target the background colour of topic titles with unread posts from the list of titles within the forums. I can target the topic title, but not the background.

The class is:

ipsDataItem_unread

But no matter how I attempt to target the background, it fails. Stumped.

1 hour ago, [[C...] said:

I keep tweaking the colours. I am having some problems targeting an element I'd like to change. So, the colours might go a bit strange from time-to-time (generally reversed within 30 seconds).

If there are any CSS gurus here, I am trying to target the background colour of topic titles with unread posts from the list of titles within the forums. I can target the topic title, but not the background.

The class is:

ipsDataItem_unread

But no matter how I attempt to target the background, it fails. Stumped.

I resolved this. I don't know what I was doing wrong earlier.

I've darkened up the theme some. I might tweak the secondary colours yet - the heading colour and the one used for quotes, etc. I'll see.

Let me know what you think.

8 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

I might tweak the secondary colours yet - the heading colour and the one used for quotes, etc. I'll see.

You've done plenty of tweaking for one day, probably be doing it in your sleep!

It does look good now, been waiting to try it as the sun has almost gone down here. Thank you

• Like 1

20 hours ago, [[J...] said:

The only slightly strange color is the purple in my opinion and lighter shade of purple. It takes a little to adjust, but not bad :) 

If I understand you correctly, that lighter purple is now gone.

4 hours ago, [[D...] said:

@[Co...] i cant really see the difference between mode 1 and 2 but both have that ugly purple... :(

I quite like it. I've changed other colours, so it might look better to you and others now.

There are some edge situation colours which do need to be changed (things where very low contrast renders them nearly invisible (such as the small quote popup when you highlight text).

By the way, before anyone asks, I cannot easily do anything with the text editor. It is a plugin system, and is difficult to rework. In any case, the editor will be replaced with something else with the forthcoming forum software update.

• Like 1

I've just noticed that PMs are essentially broken. The background and text colours appear to be identical in the subject field. It might be tomorrow before it is fixed. Of course, it work properly with the default theme.

Hey @[Co...], been so busy just now logging on. 

3 hours ago, [[C...] said:

If I understand you correctly, that lighter purple is now gone.

Looks good, I see a lot of improvement. :) Huge fan of this

• Like 1

Hi all,

I instinctively went with lighter blue for threads with unread posts, and dark blue for threads with no new posts. But the darker blue stands out more and the washed out blue implies (I think) 'done' or 'nothing new'. So they probably should be swapped.

Let me know which way round you think it should be.

1 hour ago, [[F...] said:

@[Co...]  I agree with you.  I was noticing that, too.  Lighter does feel to imply 'no new activity'.

I've made the change, but there is a problem. There is a class added to threads (in the list of thread titles) which contain unread posts - I can target that class to change the background color. The problem, by making the read threads the lighter colour, the same setting also makes other elements (such as this thread) the same, paler blue color. Ideally, I would have the setting remain the darker blue, and the target just the read threads so that they alone use the paler blue. But there is no 'read' class, only unread. I have to figure out how to target the read threads without editing the HTML to add a class (it is important for upgrades that I leave it alone). Hmmm.

All this might be gobbledygook to you. Or perhaps not!? Or not to another reader who might be able to work it out and post a suggestion.

• Like 1

To save anyone wasting time on this, I seem to have found a way of doing this which avoids having to target loads of different elements within the theme.

2 hours ago, [[S...] said:

Hi @[Co...] I have made some dark themes. I can do more to help you with dark mode.

Take a look and tell me what you think.

Link to Figma file

Here is an example

image.thumb.png.a6a2c3ae8558e15724957c2d72571cca.png

Thank you for that, @[Sp...]. They look great!

I suppose I was (somewhat) going for something of compromise, where there them might be also used more generally. But i guess we could have more than one new theme.

It will be next week sometime before I can play around with this again. I will definitely check out the mockup themes to created at Figma. But there are a few things I must do first.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, [[C...] said:

All this might be gobbledygook to you.

Admittedly, even when my mind is not hindered, it would read as Greek to me.  :)  

I appreciate what you have done as it is...if it gets tweaked even more, that's just a bonus.

Thank you, @[Co...].  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, [[C...] said:

Thank you for that, @[Sp...]. They look great!

I suppose I was (somewhat) going for something of compromise, where there them might be also used more generally. But i guess we could have more than one new theme.

It will be next week sometime before I can play around with this again. I will definitely check out the mockup themes to created at Figma. But there are a few things I must do first.

Thank you guys for your appreciation. It would be great to have more than 1 dark theme. Anyway, I will do more so you can choose. Or we could make a poll for buddies to choose what they like, if possible.

Thank you @[Co...] for you work.

Edited by [Sp...]
  • Like 1

Hey wow, that's a huge improvement! I use the dark schema where possible, ideally black background/white text, color features such as with 2D, 3D apps, illustration, graphic editing editing. The default theme is usually too much stimulation, can stress out over time. The difference here is quite significant, much easier on the eyes, stress level.

Looking forward to the new release -

A Huge Thanks,

- Erich (Catt02)

On 28/08/2024 at 13:21, [[D...] said:

Hi @[Co...] i specially apreciate this cause i use dark mode whenever is availiable, chrome, gmail, youtube, etc so i am defenetely using it. I will let you know if i find anything "weird" about it.

Thanks

Actually i find the blue, purple, etc colours too much, i love full black mode. :)

Same here, the color scheme here is cool except for the yellow instances, those stimuli are a bit too high in intensity, but I would guess those vary from one person to the next 🥦

• Like 1

Here are 2 more themes that I created

1st Arctic

2nd Graphite

Dark theme Arctic.png

Dark theme Graphite.png

Edited by [Sp...]
  • Like 1

Hi @[Sp...]

I think I am going to hold off from applying any more themes for a while. There is an upcoming major new version of the forum software, and it includes a dark mode theme.

The present theme templating system is quite good. Except some colours are hard coded. This is generally not a problem when creating more standard themes, but the colours are plain wrong (offering little contrast) when creating a dark theme. I also do not know how well our own themes will transfer (poorly, where I have changed the CSS, is my guess).

I'll see if I can get an idea of when the new software will be released. Its was scheduled for some time earlier in the year, but the developers then decided to make one or two large changes which has pushed it back. It could be out in a matter of weeks, as testing by some of the community has been going on for a few months now.

Thank you for your hard work and efforts. I expect that I will still make use of it, but in a few weeks time, or as soon as the new software is released.

2 hours ago, [[C...] said:

Hi @[Sp...]

I think I am going to hold off apply any more themes for a while. There is an upcoming major new version of the forum software, and it includes a dark mode theme.

The present theme templating system is quite good. Except some colours are are hard coded. This is generally not a problem when creating more standard themes, but the colours are plain wrong (offering little contrast) when creating dark theme. I also do not know how well our own themes will transfer (poorly, where I can changed the CSS, is my guess).

I'll see if I can get an idea of when the new software will be released. Its was scheduled for some time earlier in the year, but the developers then decided to make one or two large changes which has pushed it back. It could be out in a matter of weeks, as testing by some of the community has been going on for a few months now.

Thank you for your hard work and efforts. I expect that I will still make use of it, but in a few weeks time, or as soon as the new software is released.

Hi @[Co...]. Okay, whatever you say. You can contact me anytime if you like my ideas.

Thank you for creating this place for us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, [[S...] said:

Hi @[Co...]. Okay, whatever you say. You can contact me anytime if you like my ideas.

Will do. I have say, I rather liked the teal one.

1 hour ago, [[S...] said:

Thank you for creating this place for us.

You are welcome. To be frank, way back when when I was quite ill (not just benzodiazpine withdrawal, but a neurological condition too), running this place kept me sane. Or sanish, at least. :) So I got plenty out of it too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, [[C...] said:

Will do. I have say, I rather liked the teal one.

You are welcome. To be frank, way back when when I was quite ill (not just benzodiazpine withdrawal, but a neurological condition too), running this place kept me sane. Or sanish, at least. :) So I got plenty out of it too.

I totally understand you.

I am 10 years out and I am not fully recovered. But can function somehow. I started to learn UI UX design and it's been hard for me. Anyway,  I often feel useless so doing/achieving something gives me some self-esteem and I am glad to help if I can:giggle:

• Like 1