Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Conflict on tapering advice

[vo...]

How do we handle situations where there is a conflict on tapering advice of two medications if one member suggests one method and another member suggests a different method? This puts the member seeking advice in a difficult position and must be very conflicting to them. Can someone advise on this issue?

I have to weed things out myself, sometimes, trial and error, see how I react.  I've learned along the way what works best for me.  I read and take in info, but I have to sort of "make my own study" because like they say, we are all different.

People usually share their experience, but a lot goes into that right?  What are the foods they fuel their body with, what is the exercise routine, or lack thereof?  Also, people don't know every single thing about my history, or maybe exactly how I do my taper.  No one should be doing anything here except telling what worked for them.  Suggestions are fine, but there is no one-size-fits-all.

Some people cringe at the way I taper with my cheap little jewelry scale, and a single-edge blade to trim off to get my dose.  I cannot do water-titration, didn't feel confident that I would get my proper dose.  If what you are trying is difficult, then maybe get more input.  Tapering off Benzos seems to be kind of a newer thing, because so many don't know the first thing about tapering, and neither do doctors seem to know that much, oregonlady ~ Denise :hug:

• Like 5

3 hours ago, [[v...] said:

How do we handle situations where there is a conflict on tapering advice of two medications if one member suggests one method and another member suggests a different method? This puts the member seeking advice in a difficult position and must be very conflicting to them. Can someone advise on this issue?

Hello @[vo...]

Well, we should not 'advise' members on their withdrawal/taper. Rather, as @[or...] suggests, we share experiences and relay options (personal experiences or what we have read of the experiences of others). It is then for the member seeking support to decide what might work best for them and to discuss this with their healthcare provider.

There might be cases where providing 'advice' is appropriate, but these are narrower situations, where we are dealing with dry facts rather than offering opinions.

It can be difficult to use the right phrasing, steering clear of prescriptive language and remaining mindful that we are peers, stating options and relating our experiences. And although I expect none of us here are perfect in keeping within the line, it does become easier with practice.

• Like 5

Thank you @[or...] and @[Co...]. Advice was too strong a word. I'll keep that in mind to continue my dialogue with one of the members trying to sort out how she wants to taper. I try to be careful not to advise people, but only to use phrases like "in my opinion" or similar type phrases.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, [[v...] said:

Thank you @[or...] and @[Co...]. Advice was too strong a word. I'll keep that in mind to continue my dialogue with one of the members trying to sort out how she wants to taper. I try to be careful not to advise people, but only to use phrases like "in my opinion" or similar type phrases.

Yeah, it takes a bit of practice. But as I wrote before, it does become easier.

Try to keep in mind that none of us walk in shoes of others. And what works for one might not work for another. And as you suggest there, it is best to avoid use of the word 'advise/advice' because it carries too much weight and comes across as authoritative. I've been doing this for 20 years and I still avoid use of the word. In fact, the more I learn, the more I better understand how little I know. So I probably use the word 'advice' less now than I ever did in the past.

• Like 3

I believe the more options a member has the better, I know this can complicate things when our decision making skills are compromised but we're all so different, having choices can be helpful.

Another plus to receiving differing suggestions is the possibility of learning a better way.  I used to suggest members taper the z-drug first if they were on that and a benzodiazepine but after seeing other members suggest tapering it first, I realized that was probably better.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, [[P...] said:

I believe the more options a member has the better, I know this can complicate things when our decision making skills are compromised but we're all so different, having choices can be helpful.

Another plus to receiving differing suggestions is the possibility of learning a better way.  I used to suggest members taper the z-drug first if they were on that and a benzodiazepine but after seeing other members suggest tapering it first, I realized that was probably better.

I totally agree @[Pa...]. This is my first time giving an opinion on tapering and I don't want to screw it up.  After discussing options with the member, she had told me which drug she wanted to taper first which I agreed with because of the low dosage of that medication, so I was proceeding along those lines with them. However someone else weighed in with the opposite suggestion. I don't want any conflict at the expense of the member, so I am waiting for her to make a decision for the 2nd time based on the two opinions. Maybe the other member knows something I don't know. She's running out of time on her scripts.

If you want to take a look at the thread, I'm sure she would welcome (and so would I) your input :-) Her name is alicj_k

@[Pa...] Now I'm asking you to please take a look at the thread. It's under Xanax and Ambien tapering. What's being said would scare me. I took both meds alicj is trying to taper. I know full well what their potential risk is. I'm not a fan of what is being said to her - maybe I'm just worried for her. She's on a low dose of the Xanax, so in my opinion, she should finish tapering that first, then the Ambien. I did day dose Ambien, so I know what she's up against. Should I just let her read what's being said to her and then just wait for her decision? Maybe you can diffuse what I feel is more than necessary being said or maybe I'm reading too much into the member's remarks? Your opinion is appreciated.

Maybe I'm not ready to give taper suggestions? lol. I don't like conflict.

@[vo...] the best is to let the site flow organically. It often happens that people will have different experiences and different opinions. That’s the nature of withdrawal and peer support. Unless someone is stating something factually incorrect then people are allowed to disagree on suggestions. I have disagreed with many people over the years and members have to decide their own course of action with the information and options provided. If you think a post is factually incorrect or scaremongering, you can report it and the team will have a look at it.

1 hour ago, [[v...] said:

She's running out of time on her scripts.

Remember, this is not new to us, this site has been running for many, many years and we have managed these types of situations before. What may feel like an urgent situation to you usually has a way of getting resolved one way or another. I wouldn’t want you to get worked up or stressed over these situations because it happens quite often. Don’t feel the responsibility or outcome lies with you because you tried to help. Ultimately each member remains responsible for their taper together with their medical team.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, [[j...] said:

@[vo...] the best is to let the site flow organically. It often happens that people will have different experiences and different opinions. That’s the nature of withdrawal and peer support. Unless someone is stating something factually incorrect then people are allowed to disagree on suggestions. I have disagreed with many people over the years and members have to decide their own course of action with the information and options provided. If you think a post is factually incorrect or scaremongering, you can report it and the team will have a look at it.

Remember, this is not new to us, this site has been running for many, many years and we have managed these types of situations before. What may feel like an urgent situation to you usually has a way of getting resolved one way or another. I wouldn’t want you to get worked up or stressed over these situations because it happens quite often. Don’t feel the responsibility or outcome lies with you because you tried to help. Ultimately each member remains responsible for their taper together with their medical team.

Thank you :smitten:

• Like 1

You cant change what other write or say, you have to let it go so to speak as you cannot control others.

not that it is your intent, ultimately the OP will decide what to do 

If you genuinely feel something puts someone in true danger i would image you could message colin or other staff and bring it to their attention