Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Please tell me your weirdest unexplained neurological symptoms that you have/had from withdrawal from Benzos/SSRI?

Hi Buddies, 

I’m just wondering if you could please share your weirdest neurological/thinking/perception symptoms that you’ve experienced in withdrawal from or kindling from either benzos or SSRIs, thanks in advance! 

Electrical tazing, shocks through my body that would involuntarily move my limbs, body parts. Dr. said myoclonus. Felt like I got tazed a hundred times at night in bed and then my muscles visibly jerked/moved. That was after Klonopin. Dr said it was myoclonus, but it was the worse with the electric shock. Then the non stop muscle twitching all day everyday for almost  2 years. Does insomnia count? Acute, severe intractable insomnia that kept me up for 5 days straight. That may have been worse than the shocks, very scary and no meds could help, hence the benzos and updose of benzos

• Like 1

7 hours ago, [[M...] said:

Hi Buddies, 

I’m just wondering if you could please share your weirdest neurological/thinking/perception symptoms that you’ve experienced in withdrawal from or kindling from either benzos or SSRIs, thanks in advance! 

Flaking skin in the palns of my hands, hairloss. Not feeling my body at all for a moment. Loud explosions in my head. 

• Like 2

When I read all of the things that are experienced by us as we move through this, I still find myself taken aback sometimes.  It's unbelievable.  It truly shows how strong we are.

Just wanted to share that thought.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I've developed a weird OCD thing where I keep thinking I've left my purse behind the last place was. Or I have to make sure I have my credit cards still in my wallet. My depth perception was way off during my taper but is starting to improve. I also had some strange red burning hard bumps on my lower legs half way through my taper, it was called Erythema nodosum. It's rare but I am sure it was from benzo WD. Had to wear sunglasses at night because lights were too bright. I would say that my vision has been severely affected and I still have tinnitus. Just finished a 2 year taper of a 41 year Ativan dependence. Also hair falling our and nails splitting. Nerve and tooth pain.

• Like 3

You mention LOUD EXPLOSIONS IN YOUR HEAD! Me too! I'm yelling because I'm glad I'm not alone. I keep hearing a car racing and then backfiring very loudly right when I wake up. Very strange!

• Like 2

On 22/08/2024 at 03:21, [[B...] said:

Flaking skin in the palns of my hands, hairloss. Not feeling my body at all for a moment. Loud explosions in my head. 

I have loud explosions in my head as well! I thought it was a "me only" symptom. Right at the moment I wake up I hear a car racing and then a loud backfiring, explosion. It's really strange and has been happening for the past 2 months.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, [[B...] said:

Extreme hair loss. Depressing.

Extreme hair loss here too. :-( I hear that it does start to grow back as we heal. 

• Like 3

My weird is probably different than someone else's weird but I'll take a shot here ;)

One that seemed very weird was when I was tapered a bit too much by my doc, ok, a lot too much.  I woke up after very little sleep (this is before I got involved with BB) and as I was putting on something to wear, my whole left side of my body went numb, gradually worked it's way up to the top of my head.  I was hauled off to the hospital, and had all the tests of course, and nothing was found, nothing that would have caused that.  No one payed much attention to my thoughts on the wd sxs possibility.

So that lasted just under a week or so, and to this day, 4 years later, there is still some numb areas in my left arm, hand, and side of head including my left ear, oregonlady ~ Denise PS I hope this is neurological to go with your post, because I do believe CNS is all part of that.

Edited by [or...]
  • Like 2

LOTS of flashing lights, colors all over the ceiling, brain zaps, buzzing and explosions in my brain. Months of audio and visual hallucinations along with all kinds of nasty physical symptoms. Good grief benzos are taking revenge on us all! 

• Like 2

For those who are experiencing or experienced the explosions in their head, I have no idea what that is like...it sounds just awful.  And, I have symptoms an arm's length long, but not that one.

My weirdest, but not my worst, would be my nose moving around on it's own.  Not just the feeling of it moving, but visually moving.  Muscles twitching and stuff I had and expected, but this was just bizarre.  

• Like 1

Hmmm...weirdest symptom

After being embarrassed about this one, I'm finally ready to open up about it to help other females here - 

PGAD (Persistent genital arousal disorder) – a condition that involves experiencing unwanted sensations of arousal in your genitals

Go ahead and have a good laugh about this one - we need some humor with all these symptoms we get.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, [[F...] said:

@[vo...]  I was gonna use that one!! :classic_wink:

@[Fa...] Talking with you about this and some of the symptoms I read you sharing about yourself made me feel more comfortable talking about it openly.:2funny:

• Like 2

@[vo...]  I think that's great!  Not the symptom of course...but, feeling comfortable discussing.  I'll pass the baton to you!  You can be the PGAD guru now!  :clap:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Not being able to smile even if I try my hardest. My face is just paralyzed from the eyebrows down to the eyes and cheeks.  Even if I move my mouth trying to smile the rest of my face just doesn't move at all looking totally expressionless. It feels as if I had heavy weight on my eyebrows,  eyes and cheeks and I just can't lift it! 

Edited by [Ca...]
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, [[v...] said:

Hmmm...weirdest symptom

After being embarrassed about this one, I'm finally ready to open up about it to help other females here - 

PGAD (Persistent genital arousal disorder) – a condition that involves experiencing unwanted sensations of arousal in your genitals

Go ahead and have a good laugh about this one - we need some humor with all these symptoms we get.

Hey i think we had lot of similar simptoms :)  

• Like 2

I think we have to distinguish between people after proper tapering and CT as symptoms might vary a lot. Then after CT quite often symptoms are cruel and not funny at all, like difficulties with breathing, severe nerve's pain (most of the body), akathisia, feeling like drinking 100 of Red Bulls ("exploding" inside), "acid" in brain, insomnia and many more....I'm sorry for lack of optimism and humor but as my wife is going through all these, since April 2023, so when reading your optimistic inputs I feel regret that we can't join this thread in different way. Of course I heard about exceptions when CT recovered quite quickly and vice versa people suffering too much while tapering....

Anyway do hope will be able to laugh about this time one day. Wish you all good health.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

I think we have to distinguish between people after proper tapering and CT as symptoms might vary a lot. Then after CT quite often symptoms are cruel and not funny at all, like difficulties with breathing, severe nerve's pain (most of the body), akathisia, feeling like drinking 100 of Red Bulls ("exploding" inside), "acid" in brain, insomnia and many more....I'm sorry for lack of optimism and humor but as my wife is going through all these, since April 2023, so when reading your optimistic inputs I feel regret that we can't join this thread in different way. Of course I heard about exceptions when CT recovered quite quickly and vice versa people suffering too much while tapering....

Anyway do hope will be able to laugh about this time one day. Wish you all good health.

@[Mi...] I don't know where a 2 week taper falls after 47 years of Xanax as well as Ambien fall in your opinion and it isn't funny - but it's about as close to a cold turkey as you can get coming off 6mg of Xanax which is the equivalent to 60mg of Valium every single day. I haven't allowed myself to feel sorry for myself, cry, or say that I will never heal, but I most certainly could be doing those things - I choose not to. Having a sense of humor is how I have gotten myself through 14 months of withdrawal and I cope with this stuff.  I have NEVER made fun of ANY symptom - with the exception of PGAD. 

BTW, this is the only comment in the thread where a sense of humor has been inserted, so there's no reason you can't overlook it and join the thread in a different way. I have to overlook a lot of posts in the entire forum that send my withdrawal symptoms skyrocketing to the point that I can't function, can't walk, can't talk, can't do anything but wait until those symptoms calm down. If I can do that, you can surely overlook my one comment. If we don't find any positive coping mechanisms not knowing when these symptoms will ever end, it will eat us alive - I choose not to do that.

• Like 3

I did make fun a lot of my simptoms. It helped me a lot. It was better than to cry it all the time. Even my friends make jokes about my simptoms from time to time. We make funny photos. All of us is in same hell here on BB so no need to be offended if someone make jokes. 
i remember when i wrote that i found pleasure in pgad simptom some members didnt like it. But it was true for me. So heads up. This will all pass. Peace there 🍀

• Like 2

Just now, [[D...] said:

I did make fun a lot of my simptoms. It helped me a lot. It was better than to cry it all the time. Even my friends make jokes about my simptoms from time to time. We make funny photos. All of us is in same hell here on BB so no need to be offended if someone make jokes. 
i remember when i wrote that i found pleasure in pgad simptom some members didnt like it. But it was true for me. So heads up. This will all pass. Peace there 🍀

Ohhhh - not sure when you posted that, but I sure would have liked to have read it to find out about it sooner. I only found out about this symptom after reading something that @[Fa...] wrote. I was so damn embarrassed, I wrote her a PM about it. I was literally floored, to find out this was a BIND symptom but very happy to hear it was. I couldn't figure out why it was happening to me. It definitely makes sense because of the nerve endings. It is VERY uncomfortable, right? And it doesn't go away until it wants to. 

With your name and the clover, I'm guessing you're from the Boston area or Ireland? lol. Don't mean to make an assumption, but I'm guessing I am doing just that.

• Like 2