Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Is anyone else still shocked at how many benzos and SSRI’s that are still being prescribed?

[Ma...]

Hey buddies, 

So I’ve been hanging around a Fluoxetine support group on Facebook (I think it’s American?), and I’m just shocked at many benzos and SSRI’s that are still being prescribed. 

Almost every third person is on long term high doses of SSRI and benzos like they are sugar lollies. Everything from Klonopin, Valium, Lorazepam etc. Whenever I’ve tried to gently warn folks about the possibility for terrible withdrawals, I get shamed - told I’m spreading fear and lies. One lady told me that my information could lead to su*ci*e?! 

There is going to be health emergency with these drugs in the future, due to the sheer number of consumers on these drugs now. What are your thoughts? Cheers!

Early on in my benzo withdrawal and SSRI induced adrenergic storming I found a video online by Dr Peter Breggin. He used to be such a committed psychiatrist that he had been teaching psychiatry at Harvard medical school. However once he recognised the damage they were doing to patients he walked away and began campaigning against them. It is his position that the prescription of benzos, SSRI's, and other psychiatric meds, is all about pharmaceutical company profits similar to that which occurred with the opioid crisis. There is currently a massive advertising campaign by the Australian government to get more people to seek help from psychiatrists. I cringe whenever I see the ads.