Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Need a bit of help

I am currently using Hellex (tapered off from 1,5 mg to 0,5 mg alprazolam) and fluzepam (rapid taper from 30 mg to 7.5 mg flurazepamklorid) . I yesterday abruptly ended Hellex and I lost sleep which was constant around 7 and a half hours to 5. So I m worried that the disruption of sleep might get worse so Im gonna switch back to 0,5 mg until I stabilize enough to go more slowly.  Im currently usign these meds for like 2 and a half months and would like to kick them off as soon as possible. But im scaerd of everything. 

Im taking Niacin , Gaba,  omega -3 and magnesium as supplements. 

Can someone please with more experience give some advice what would be best course of action from here. Im tense today all day , anxious about not getting enough sleep. Is it possible to go through the withdrawal and still have good amount of sleep? Should I try to taper them more slowly or faster? I dont have any other symptoms except this tensness today. Yesterday was a good day. 

Edited by [Th...]
adding

Hello @[Th...], Welcome to BenzoBuddies, 

I am glad you joined the Forum!

It does not take long for our body to develop physical dependency to benzodiazepines, in fact that may happen in only a few weeks. Once depedeny develops, some kind of gradual tapering schedule is required, so this reduction remains tolerable and we can also keep our functionality. The same happened to me, I was also so eager to stop the medication, but it would have been safer to follow a slower reduction schedule. 

As I understand you have been on these medications for 2,5 months and you reduced 2,5 mg daily alprazolam to 0,5 mg, and 30 mg daily flurazepam to 7,5 mg? May I ask if you did go to a "recovery center", did your doctor taper you or all by yourself? How long have you been reducing them? May I ask why you started to take the medications?

As you have been on them for only for 2-3 months, I assume you will be able to make faster reductions than the recommended 5-10% every few weeks. You will nevertheless have to find a reduction rate (and tapering method) you are comfortable with. Insomnia and anxiety, tension are very common withdrawal symptoms and I am not suprised you are experiencing these after such reductions. In my opinion, it is wise to consider going back to a dose where you felt comfortable at. 

Please keep in mind this is absolutely doable, we have many many member who recovered out there, we just often have to reconsider the pace of cessation when we quit these medications.

Take care @[Th...], I am happy you found us! :)

RR 

43 minutes ago, [[T...] said:

out not getting enough sleep. Is it possible to go through the withdrawal and still have good amount of sle

Thank you for the reply, I needed it. 

I got bullied online to the point that produced big arousal that eventually lead to taking myself to psych ward where they diagnosed me with anxiety issues and prescribed those 2 medications along with 15 mg Calixta(mirotzapin) which I took as perscribed first few days. But the doctor didnt say nothing about how dangerous these drugs can be. They did help in the moment but now Im terrified that I ever took them. At least some warning could have been given to me... 

I spoke to the doctor but he didnt want me to tapper just yet, but my reasoning was that the sooner the better. I think the psychological element of why Im on this meds is no longer as strong as it was. Now my main worry is withdrawal from this..

I tappered off by myself, wanted to see if i can maintain sleep while fast tappering (around 6 weeks) but I tihnk I crossed the line yesterday. Think you are right to take it more slowly. Ive been using alcohol also, not much ,2 beers but kind of get it now that that wont help in the long run. Might just bring morebad  variables in the equation. Today is last day of alcohol until im healed. 

Thanks for the advice , appreciate it and will take it. And thanks for the words of encouragment. Means a lot

I am really sorry for what has happened to you, I can absolutely relate to it as I was bullied for quite a while as well, I believe it played a huge part in me going to the therapist and taking these medications. I absolutely agree with you when it comes to informed consent from doctors, that time will come I believe, but until then we are lucky to have each other and the forums. 

I believe that after holding your dose for just a few days will be enough for you to stabilize. After that, I would continue to taper the alprazolam, in a slower pace where you feel relatively more comfortable. You will find a lot of information about tapering and tapering methods on this forum, but please. keep in mind that you are not likely to encounter these issues most of us deal with. 

I would personally taper only one medication at a time, not changing flurazepam until I am tapering alprazolam. Flurazepam has a long half life that may help you with interdose withdrawal. After this, I would continue to taper the flurazepam. Mirtazapine might assist you with tapering these two benzodiazepines.

Should you encounter issues or have questions, our members are always here to share their experiences, and I am sure they will reply very soon to your thread as well.    

will look into tapering methods. Thx again will follow your advice. Now I want to find my true equilibrium from which the taper can begin. I dont want to go through again what I went through yesterday. Was so horrifying. I need to heal from it mentally. I think ill take it really slow from now on. First need to restore my balance from which to proceed. Had really bad day yesterday. But got enough sleep again 7.5 h .