Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

What is akathisia?🤨

Hi, I am coming up on a year now starting September. And I still don’t understand what akathisia is. I looked it up several times and I’ve even looked at peoples post about it on here and on reddit. There are people that say that it is an inner restlessness and that it is all mental. Then there are those people that say that it actually hurts and they can actually see the muscles twisting and turning. 

What keeps me from actually saying that I have akathisia is the fact that my hands, feet and lips will turn red when my nervous system is going crazy And plus my muscles get stiff every now and then.

Edited by [Jo...]

It is a really uncomfortable feeling where every time you try to sit still you get more and more agitated. I would get more twitchy and panicky until I started moving again. Walking constantly or any simple task partially relieved it for me. I was like this nonstop for many months. I spent much of it pacing circles in my house or sweeping fifty times until so tired I just had to stop and try to endure for a while. 

It's a movement disorder. Were you have to keep walking/moving.

Look up Christina akathisia on YouTube that's how it looks.

"Akathisia is a movement disorder characterized by a subjective feeling of inner restlessness accompanied by mental distress and an inability to sit still. Usually, the legs are most prominently affected. Those affected may fidget, rock back and forth, or pace, while some may just have an uneasy feeling in their body. Wikipedia"

I had RLS when i was younger, restless legs syndrome. I feel akathisia is the same thing just more. 

While having akathisia i had the feeling of bugs cralling inside my bones and i had to keep moving. I wasn't able to do anything else. No tv or internet for months. 

Edited by [PE...]

2 hours ago, [[J...] said:

Hi, I am coming up on a year now starting September. And I still don’t understand what akathisia is. I looked it up several times and I’ve even looked at peoples post about it on here and on reddit. There are people that say that it is an inner restlessness and that it is all mental. Then there are those people that say that it actually hurts and they can actually see the muscles twisting and turning. 

What keeps me from actually saying that I have akathisia is the fact that my hands, feet and lips will turn red when my nervous system is going crazy And plus my muscles get stiff every now and then.@

@[Jo...] Hi Joshua - this will give you a bigger scope of what akathisia is. It can't just be mental. My akathisia was physical movement of my body including thrashing around while trying to go to sleep.

https://www.benzoinfo.com/akathisia/

Edited by [vo...]

Posted (edited)

thank you @[vo...], for the link.
Today, the left side of my body is tense up. The left side of my face is unable to relax. And there is this constant burning underneath my skin. 

Edited by [Jo...]

Incredible inner agitation and feeling you have to escape the restlessness, it can lead to having to move body parts or walk just to try and keep sane.

usually goes with but not always, suicidal ideation and severe urges to self-harm or rage. Feeling or inner vibrations and churning in the chest, gut or spine/bones.

Many of buddies I talked to on here get moaning and grunting with it because the severity can be excruciating.

A person can get it mild to raging and it can come I spurts or unfortunately for some is constant.

It’s very very painful too for me, the inner emotional restlessness actually can hurt and squeeze.

its a completely unnatural feeling. It’s so hard to cope with so many days. 

You feel like a motor is running inside your body that will not shut down. 

Sleep is nearly impossible when the akathisia is raging. 

it is not normal anxiety, it contains a panic and frustration element that is difficult to fathom and explain. Makes a person feel like they are going crazy

I’m sending all of us who have to deal with this so much love and healing.❤️‍🩹 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

36 minutes ago, [[K...] said:

Incredible inner agitation and feeling you have to escape the restlessness, it can lead to having to move body parts or walk just to try and keep sane.

usually goes with but not always, suicidal ideation and severe urges to self-harm or rage. Feeling or inner vibrations and churning in the chest, gut or spine/bones.

Many of buddies I talked to on here get moaning and grunting with it because the severity can be excruciating.

A person can get it mild to raging and it can come I spurts or unfortunately for some is constant.

It’s very very painful too for me, the inner emotional restlessness actually can hurt and squeeze.

it is not normal anxiety, it contains a panic and frustration element that is difficult to fathom and explain. Makes a person feel like they are going crazy

Very good explanation!

4 hours ago, [[J...] said:

thank you @[vo...], for the link.
Today, the left side of my body is tense up. The left side of my face is unable to relax. And there is this constant burning underneath my skin. 

@[Jo...] Can you find something to do to distract you from thinking about it? I'm hopeful that will help the feelings to either not be so strong or possibly you may not feel them while you are distracted. :balloon:

22 hours ago, [[K...] said:

This is it. 

On 15/08/2024 at 11:35, [[K...] said:

Can I ask how long you’ve been dealing with this?