Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Overwhelmed in public

Went out for the first time in 8 weeks with my partner for a car drive today, I was ok in the car till we stopped to pick up a prescription from pharmacy and I got quite Overwhelmed as others started to come in the anxiety began to kick in,  my hands started shaking uncontrollably and my legs went to jelly I had to sit down .I then snapped at my partner telling him to take me home like as people began to stare , I know they don't know me personally but it made me feel more anxious 

I'm sorry @[...], I know it was a miserable experience but its normal to feel this way.  I was so paranoid and self-conscious when I was recovering, and I hated being around people, even those closest to me.  

The good thing is you were okay in the car, that's huge so try to give yourself credit for being able to do that.  Maybe you could try another trip, just a drive with your partner just to get a change of scenery once in awhile.

This is very common.  I started to realize after many months that if I tried to avoid going out, then my anxiety would go up thinking about the next time I had to go somewhere.  Anticipatory anxiety.  I know it really sucks and can be very frightening, but if you are able to get out, do it. In my experience, avoiding a place or event just led to me obsessing more about when I had to do something the next time..

Edited by [Go...]
  • Like 2