Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Which to taper first, Seroquel or Clonazepam (so many tapering stratgies have failed)?

@[De...]Very glad to hear that you seem to being much better now.

41 minutes ago, [[D...] said:

I’m also by no means advising anyone to take Gabapentin. I don’t believe it’s completely safe or if it’s a recommended medication for benzo tapering.

I haven't looked at the scientific evidence lately, but when I looked last time (ages ago), there was very weak evidence stating that gabapentin (or anticonvulsants) would directly aid in benzo withdrawal.

That said, the government funded institution that weans people off does sometimes use gabapentin, but this is under the supervision of professional Doctors. And of course, gabapentin can come with its own set of issues. The government funded institution typically goes straight to the diazepam crossover, and goes from there.

Thanks again for detailing your experience and the support!

Yea, I’m also quite skeptical of the dosage variance. They told me I could go up to 2400 mg if needed, which seemed like a high level in retrospect.

I think the treatment center I was in was good, but they definitely had a policy of “throw the kitchen sink” at the patients for benzos. At the time I would have probably done any non-controlled drug they put in front of me if they told me if it would help me get off the meds because I was in so much pain. I don’t think it was malpractice, but when people are suffering like I was, I would have taken any medication regardless of risk if they told me it would get me through the withdrawal.

I do hope we get better research on poly pharmacy with regards to benzo withdrawal, because it’s such a gray area. People who are tapering are in such a vulnerable place but I’m really glad we have forums like this to share our experiences.