Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Harder near the end

I am a 73 year old male. I have been tapering off klonopin for 4 years now. I started at 1.5 mg and I am now at .018 and having a very hard time all of a sudden. I was doing pretty well lately, with some decent windows, and was able to do things as long as I didn’t over do it. Now, for a week or so I have been practically bed ridden. I never expected to feel this bad at this stage of the game. What is happening? Can anyone shed some light please? Thanks 

Hi!

I did a ct but from all the posts here yes! It's common getting rougher as smaller the doses gets..

Peace..

Hi @[Ga...]

you’ve done an amazing job at tapering. I’m sorry you’re struggling now. When were you thinking of jumping?

Hi, @[Ga...], please, don't be upset too much. I think it can happen while tapering. My taper was hard from the beginning but the hardest weeks i experienced were closer to its end, right before i felt perceivably better in my last month prior to jumping. Healing to you!

Posted (edited)

I was thinking of jumping at .01. Is that about right?

Edited by [Ga...]

23 hours ago, [[G...] said:

I am a 73 year old male. I have been tapering off klonopin for 4 years now. I started at 1.5 mg and I am now at .018 and having a very hard time all of a sudden. I was doing pretty well lately, with some decent windows, and was able to do things as long as I didn’t over do it. Now, for a week or so I have been practically bed ridden. I never expected to feel this bad at this stage of the game. What is happening? Can anyone shed some light please? Thanks 

That is very common. Just hold longer at the end. 

2 hours ago, [[G...] said:

I was thinking of jumping at .01. Is that about right?

You can jump whenever you feel comfortable. I jumped at 0.025mg. The only reason I’m asking is because you are at such a low dose that I’m wondering if you might be starting to experience some of the symptoms we experience when we go through PAWS. 

19 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

You can jump whenever you feel comfortable. I jumped at 0.025mg. The only reason I’m asking is because you are at such a low dose that I’m wondering if you might be starting to experience some of the symptoms we experience when we go through PAWS. 

Can you please explain?

Just that the dose is so low I’m wondering if your symptoms might be similar to the symptoms we experience in the phase when we jump. 

• Like 1

In other words, I’m in acute withdrawal. I have considered that possibility. In any case, I guess all I can do is grin and bear it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, [[G...] said:

In other words, I’m in acute withdrawal. I have considered that possibility. In any case, I guess all I can do is grin and bear it.

I don’t know but I just think at some stage for each individual the dose will be so low that the body/brain doesn’t register it anymore. What that dose is, is anybody’s guess. I’m just exploring potential possibilities for the change in your symptoms. 

But I do think you are recovering. Regardless of how difficult these symptoms are, your body is fighting to get back to normal. You’ll get through this, you’ve done such an enormous job tapering down!

• Like 1

Hi @[Ga...],

I was thinking hard about my sxs after going on 18 months of a slow dry micro taper I'm doing.  I did go up on my percent, (3-5%), last couple of tapers.  This 2nd one I've held 28 days.  I saw your thread and I am 71, so same age-group, and I'm tapering down from 1 mg original tablet of Clonazepam.  I feel my sxs are worse this last taper, and admit I get a bit concerned since I took the pill for 35 years.

Have you considered slowing down your taper, smaller cuts, and/or holding dose longer?  I know it's something I want to get over with, but I'll slow down if I feel way bad.  I commend your patience in taking it slow as I feel it's the best way for me as well, oregonlady :hug:

PS If you are like me, I had some pre-existing health issues that may and probably do make it a lot harder for us.  Also, I am pretty strict with what I eat, and I do get exercise which I can't recommend enough.  I do understand you are pretty sick to have to be in bed, so other options than exercise ;) are needed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, [[G...] said:

Can you please explain?

@[Ga...] I'm thinking @[je...] will weigh in with the explanation you're looking for. My thought is that it will be jumping when you feel you can mentally and physically handle the w/d symptoms. They might not be extremely comfortable to deal with, but there's only one way out of this mess we're all in.

I wanted to weigh in on why you feel so horrible, that you originally wrote in about - I see it, and I'm hopeful that others will agree, that all the symptoms we all get due to withdrawal are our body's way of telling us that our CNS is actually in the process of healing. So as uncomfortable as we all are, these withdrawal symptoms are a good thing - not that we want them, but our CNS is resetting itself back to normal.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

I don’t know but I just think at some stage for each individual the dose will be so low that the body/brain doesn’t register it anymore. What that dose is, is anybody’s guess. I’m just exploring potential possibilities for the change in your symptoms. 

But I do think you are recovering. Regardless of how difficult these symptoms are, your body is fighting to get back to normal. You’ll get through this, you’ve done such an enormous job tapering down!

This makes a lot of sense to me as well.  I think it will be a hard thing to actually let go of something I took for so many years, but I've seen enough testimonies that tell me to step out in faith.  I'm still probably at least 5 months from a reasonable time to jump, but I started thinking about it more lately, oregonlady :smitten:

45 minutes ago, [[G...] said:

I feel the same way, seems the more wd sxs I get, the stronger I am with accepting them, but also knowing they will pass and healing is ahead for me, and you too Gamby :)