Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Legs Not working right?

started the ashton tapering method about a month ago. Going from (2) .5 xanax slowly onto valium. Am off completely right now from the Xanax. So far pretty good.

However the last 2 weeks or so there are times I try to walk forward but I walk to the side instead (usually the right). My legs won't go where I want them to. It's weird I've had vertigo, I know it's not that. It doesn't even feel like being off balance. It's hard to explain. I've nearly fallen a few times. This IS from the Taper...that I do know.

It's not unlike me to be off balance but THIS? no it's different. It's like my brain is telling my body to put my feet down in such a way that I'm walking forward but the signal is getting messed up if that makes any sense.

Took a walk late last night very dark/late but wanted no distractions and yes I walked in a slight zig zag pattern. It's disconcerting to say the least. 

It this a common symptom? Anyone experience something like this? 

Yes, legs all fucked up, cant even explain what's happening and feel it hás something to do with the vestibular system in the brain that also controls balance but not quite that, not knowing is more frightening, can only stand for seconds as it smashes feet

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, [[r...] said:

started the ashton tapering method about a month ago. Going from (2) .5 xanax slowly onto valium. Am off completely right now from the Xanax. So far pretty good.

However the last 2 weeks or so there are times I try to walk forward but I walk to the side instead (usually the right). My legs won't go where I want them to. It's weird I've had vertigo, I know it's not that. It doesn't even feel like being off balance. It's hard to explain. I've nearly fallen a few times. This IS from the Taper...that I do know.

It's not unlike me to be off balance but THIS? no it's different. It's like my brain is telling my body to put my feet down in such a way that I'm walking forward but the signal is getting messed up if that makes any sense.

Took a walk late last night very dark/late but wanted no distractions and yes I walked in a slight zig zag pattern. It's disconcerting to say the least. 

It this a common symptom? Anyone experience something like this? 

@[ri...] You said it perfectly - I will bet if you ask someone with you if you're walking funny or weird, they will tell you you're not. I have had the same thing happen. I don't have it anymore but it was exactly as you describe, as well as a couple of other things with the legs/feet like feeling like jelly and feet feeling sponge like, almost as if your bouncing on them. I'm only adding that in case you already do or get those additional feelings - it's not you, it's the benzos. You also mention you feel like you're walking in a zig zag pattern. That was the same thing happening to me too. You'll be ok at some point and those feelings may also come and go.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, [[v...] said:

@[ri...] You said it perfectly - I will bet if you ask someone with you if you're walking funny or weird, they will tell you you're not. I have had the same thing happen. I don't have it anymore but it was exactly as you describe, as well as a couple of other things with the legs/feet like feeling like jelly and feet feeling sponge like, almost as if your bouncing on them. I'm only adding that in case you already do or get those additional feelings - it's not you, it's the benzos. You also mention you feel like you're walking in a zig zag pattern. That was the same thing happening to me too. You'll be ok at some point and those feelings may also come and go.

Thanks and yes feet feeling spongey that also perfect way to put that. And trust me at times it is more then clear to all I'm zig-zagging and not steady on my feet. I've been asked if I need help. I probably look slightly drug (Yay me) - also if I bend forward say to pick something up on the floor at times I have to quickly put my arms out as I'm clearly going to keep going and bounce my forehead off the floor.

I swear if I ever see the doctor that got me on these pills in the first place I'd like to give him a swift kick, he told me they were NOT addictive and it's JUST a muscle relaxant...GAH

• Like 1

2 hours ago, [[r...] said:

I swear if I ever see the doctor that got me on these pills in the first place I'd like to give him a swift kick, he told me they were NOT addictive and it's JUST a muscle relaxant...GAH

@[ri...] I absolutely agree! I actually looked up my doctor, although it was many years ago and she is still in practice. I'd love to sue her. They I looked up benzo lawsuits in the US and there aren't any that I can find. So I doubt an attorney would want to be the first one to try to win one of these cases. GRRRR!

• Like 1