Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Akathisia from mirtazapine

5 minutes ago, [[B...] said:

FYI mine has improved as I’ve slowed my taper and I have some functionality back. If ramped up last week but I’m coming up to a year on off K this week which I hear the annual anniversaries sometimes take a weird toll on our bodies and bring a wave, and I also had upped my mirt taper speed.

im going at about 5-6% a month that things have calmed thankfully on the aka front -around June even it became much more bearable… so 6mo on it and around 5.7mg (started on 7.5mg Dec). Less adverse reaction severity after taking at night and can sleep some now during night.

if you can msg your dr and say you’ve changed and you’d like to stay on it and see if things continue to improve and then fake that you’re better it’s worth a shot to at least be able to save up pills to taper how you want and not be forced off. If it were me I’d send a note to my Dr bc it might work and there’s no loss in trying. 

Just hate for you to rush off and especially not having help and needing to support your dad. 

Hi @[Bo...]How long a taper would I need? I cant do a 2 year taper thats crazy. I can barely function now. I need off this soon I think.

36 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

Hi @[Bo...]How long a taper would I need? I cant do a 2 year taper thats crazy. I can barely function now. I need off this soon I think.

Long tapers aren’t always the answer when you’re having severe reactions to the med. I wish there was an easy answer.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, [[K...] said:

Long tapers aren’t always the answer when you’re having severe reactions to the med. I wish there was an easy answer.

Did you do a long taper? You said you had it whilst on meds right?

41 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

I would talk to a benzo coach like Angie peacock or one of those

Just now, [[f...] said:

I would talk to a benzo coach like Angie peacock or one of those

I wouldn't even know where to start with regards how you do that.

1 minute ago, [[j...] said:

I wouldn't even know where to start with regards how you do that.

do you just send them a message?

2 minutes ago, [[f...] said:

Yup+

Sorry to expensive. They must think everyone in withdrawl is made of money.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

Sorry to expensive. They must think everyone in withdrawl is made of money.

It's the withdrawal industry standards 😁😆

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

What are my options really? I'm going to have to quick taper. I have 23 pills. 14 of which are a different brand and I'm constantly hearing that's a problem so maybe only 9 pills and I'm at 3.75 mg.

If anything else can go wrong then it probably will. This has to be a nightmare. Oh I also have a box of the melt in your mouth ones if that's any use to me. I think I'm screwed.

Maybe I have to get off quick anyway. I cant do a long taper in this condition I dont think.

Edited by [jo...]
  • Like 1

@[jo...]  When I realized that the AP I was given for Benzo WD caused AKA, I rapid tapered it.  I didn't know better at the time, but I don't know if I would have made a different decision given what I know now.  I don't advocate for rapid tapers...I suffered badly.  But, would I have suffered equally by slowly tapering given it was what was causing the AKA?  No one knows.

I do agree with @[Bo...]...if you can state to your doctor that you want to stay on the dose you're at for now, it will give you the room you need to decide how you would like to taper.  Is that an option?  I feel the first priority is to secure your options if possible.

I am a caregiver.  It's unreal what we do when we don't have a choice.  We are all examples of that to varying degrees.  

@[Kr...] I didn't grunt, but I did scream.  I had to scream in my pillow so that I wasn't heard.  I also had what I called a vocal tic, but it was more than just a tic.  I would describe it as speaking 'in tongues' for hours upon hours until I could barely talk anymore.  I have episodes of that from time to time, but not like it was.

I wanted to add...this does improve.  @[Bo...] and I are only two examples, and we have both been severe.  We get through it...we just do.  You will too.  We are far stronger than we ever imagined we could be.

Edited by [Fa...]
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, [[F...] said:

@[jo...]  When I realized that the AP I was given for Benzo WD caused AKA, I rapid tapered it.  I didn't know better at the time, but I don't know if I would have made a different decision given what I know now.  I don't advocate for rapid tapers...I suffered badly.  But, would I have suffered equally by slowly tapering given it was what was causing the AKA?  No one knows.

I do agree with @[Bo...]...if you can state to your doctor that you want to stay on the dose you're at for now, it will give you the room you need to decide how you would like to taper.  Is that an option?  I feel the first priority is to secure your options if possible.

I am a caregiver.  It's unreal what we do when we don't have a choice.  We are all examples of that to varying degrees.  

@[Kr...] I didn't grunt, but I did scream.  I had to scream in my pillow so that I wasn't heard.  I also had what I called a vocal tic, but it was more than just a tic.  I would describe it as speaking 'in tongues' for hours upon hours until I could barely talk anymore.  I have episodes of that from time to time, but not like it was. 

Thanks @[Fa...] I honestly think I'm being forced into a rapid taper. I don't believe what is happening and it's impossible to know what to do now. Thanks for your time though.

@[jo...]  If you are, then you will get through it.  I did.  And, your outcome is not mine or anyone else's.  It doesn't mean you will become worse, and you may improve quickly from removing it from your body.  Sometimes things go down a certain way for a reason.  I look at everything like that.  I always have.  Even when my outcome could not possibly look any worse.  It's what keeps me going.    

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Now I just need to work out this quick taper. Will switching brands be a problem? If so I have only 9 pills. Wow.

@[jo...]  I wish I were able to offer insight to this, but I've not dealt with having to deal with brand changes.

If I were in this situation, I'd look first at how many extra days would be added if I were to use them?  How much of a difference would it make?

I would also look at using a different brand as another change for the body to deal with...every change takes time for the body to adjust.

How are you feeling about it?

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, [[F...] said:

1 minute ago, [[F...] said:

Edited by [jo...]

14 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

Now I just need to work out this quick taper.

This you could post on the Tapering Strategies forum for some guidance.

Not feeling great about anything atm. Just might have to do it. In theory I can get 4 doses out of one pill so 36 doses if its 9 pills. If a brand change is going to be detrimental then Mabey I should plan for 36 days. I'm not sure if there's any way of knowing how I'll react or how severe it will be. How do I know?

Posted (edited)

with the extra pills it would be 92 days. ..I think

Edited by [jo...]

I think the best way is to post on the Tapering Strategies forum with this information, and go from there.  List the pills you have left of the original brand, and how many you have of the others.  I feel you need a little more information before you will feel as though you have covered all possible options.  Then, you move forward with the best possible decision you can make with all the information you have.

• Like 1

Just now, [[F...] said:

I think the best way is to post on the Tapering Strategies forum with this information, and go from there.  List the pills you have left of the original brand, and how many you have of the others.  I feel you need a little more information before you will feel as though you have covered all possible options.  Then, you move forward with the best possible decision you can make with all the information you have.

I've posted in there before about this. You never get a reply. I'll try again but doubt it.

Have you posted specifically about having to rapid taper and whether or not to use a different brand for this rapid taper?

6 minutes ago, [[F...] said:

Have you posted specifically about having to rapid taper and whether or not to use a different brand for this rapid taper?

Just posted it.

Okay.  Good.  I think this is the last information you need to feel as though you know all you can.  I think it's important to ask about using a different brand.  Whatever can be offered to you, will be.   

• Like 1