Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Akathisia from mirtazapine

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, [[B...] said:

Can you tell your Dr you’ve changed your mind and decided to stay on the med (not really but get him/her to prescribe it still)? I know many people tell their dr for this very reason , that they’ll be cut off too quick so they tell them they’re staying on bc ‘too much to come off and want to stay on for now and it’s working ok’. It’s how they hero getting the prescription to taper both benzos and ADsas well as other psychotropic meds. 

Hi @[Bo...] I dont want to stay on the med. I think I need to get off asap. I cant handle this. A long taper in this condition is probably to much. 

Edited by [jo...]

Rebecka isn't much here atm.

I would make a fast taper I think..you haven't taking it for long plus it gives you akathisia. 

• Like 1

If you weigh the pain of taking a drug that is causing an already painful situation and making it worse, vs the same misery from stopping it, the choice seems like a no brainer.

You suffer either way. 
There is no guarantees in this hell. Sorry , it totally sucks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, [[K...] said:

If you weigh the pain of taking a drug that is causing an already painful situation and making it worse, vs the same misery from stopping it, the choice seems like a no brainer.

You suffer either way. 
There is no guarantees in this hell. Sorry , it totally sucks. 

Hi @[Kr...] Did you have Aka?

2 minutes ago, [[K...] said:

I still do.

Sorry bout that buddy.. how long have you been off?

4 minutes ago, [[K...] said:

I still do.

Sorry, it's not a great place to be. what caused it? are you off the meds now?

No meds ever again. 
who knows what caused it. I do know trying different drugs to ease bwd made it worse.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, [[K...] said:

No meds ever again. 
who knows what caused it. I do know trying different drugs to ease bwd made it worse.

Have you had it since coming off? I didn't have it until I tried an ad. Stupid. I'm hoping If I get off it will go.

Oh I know you don’t want to take it I was saying tell your Dr you’re staying on and then that keeps your prescription going so you can come off of it at your pace….. many people have to lie to their drs and say they are staying on to keep prescriptions going, so they can taper slower than the CT or rapid tapers drs propose.

they don’t stay on the meds, they taper off and then once off never refill a prescription again and tell their dr they aren’t taking the med anymore.

Just now, [[B...] said:

Oh I know you don’t want to take it I was saying tell your Dr you’re staying on and then that keeps your prescription going so you can come off of it at your pace….. many people have to lie to their drs and say they are staying on to keep prescriptions going, so they can taper slower than the CT or rapid tapers drs propose.

they don’t stay on the meds, they taper off and then once off never refill a prescription again and tell their dr they aren’t taking the med anymore.

their not going to keep me on I don't think @[Bo...] I'm probably going to have to quick taper. I'm pretty worried atm.

I know you’re going to be fine. 
who do you live with to help you? 
Do you work? Have kids or people you need to care for? 
what’s your situation?

Just now, [[K...] said:

I know you’re going to be fine. 
who do you live with to help you? 
Do you work? Have kids or people you need to care for? 
what’s your situation?

I live with my dad because of this. He's old and not in good health so I keep a lot of it from him. Somehow I've managed to, even the pacing for the most part. I had to quit my job. No family. I don't have anyone really that can support me. The doctors obviously aren't helpful.  

Wow, you’re incredible.

its good you don’t seem to have the typical inner irritability that goes with aka where I have to groan and curse from the unbearable inner pain and suffering. It have to stop myself from breaking things, it’s horrible 

Just now, [[K...] said:

Wow, you’re incredible.

its good you don’t seem to have the typical inner irritability that goes with aka where I have to groan and curse from the unbearable inner pain and suffering. It have to stop myself from breaking things, it’s horrible 

I do have that. 

I haven't really. Even the neighbours have picked up on it. Get funny looks etc. He just sits in the same place in the front room most of the day and I'm out back. It's becoming impossible. He knows I'm having problems just not the extent.

Oh, yeah, my neighbor is scared of me. I don’t blame her, she hears me talking to myself and yelling. I hate this. It’s taken what little strength I have to stay in the fight. 

F-ing unfair!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, [[K...] said:

Oh, yeah, my neighbor is scared of me. I don’t blame her, she hears me talking to myself and yelling. I hate this. It’s taken what little strength I have to stay in the fight. 

F-ing unfair!!

Did you get it on the meds or when you came off?

It’s the CNS. It’s freaking trauma to a very delicate system. 
unfortunately I also had serious family trauma right after off the meds, so that fucked me up more.  

17 minutes ago, [[K...] said:

Both, it just got worse after I came off all if meds.

Has it improved in time?

FYI mine has improved as I’ve slowed my taper and I have some functionality back. If ramped up last week but I’m coming up to a year on off K this week which I hear the annual anniversaries sometimes take a weird toll on our bodies and bring a wave, and I also had upped my mirt taper speed.

im going at about 5-6% a month that things have calmed thankfully on the aka front -around June even it became much more bearable… so 6mo on it and around 5.7mg (started on 7.5mg Dec). Less adverse reaction severity after taking at night and can sleep some now during night.

if you can msg your dr and say you’ve changed and you’d like to stay on it and see if things continue to improve and then fake that you’re better it’s worth a shot to at least be able to save up pills to taper how you want and not be forced off. If it were me I’d send a note to my Dr bc it might work and there’s no loss in trying. 

Just hate for you to rush off and especially not having help and needing to support your dad.