Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

My First 'Set-Back' While Tapering

Hi All,

I call this my first set-back setting aside the obvious missteps that took place at the beginning of this process.  Those were just huge errors.  This one is what I would call a 'normal' set-back in my way of thinking.

You know, we try so hard to do what is 'right'.  We have all our knowledge.  We have each other's shared experiences.  But, when the brain is so off-line at times, all the knowledge and wisdom doesn't guarantee that we won't make a mistake.  And, it's not always a 'mistake' per say...s*** just happens.  And, man...do we beat ourselves up.  I know we do...I read the posts all the time.  I'm no different.

I have multiple chemical sensitivities.  Not sure whether it's due to dealing with SIBO that is not treatable during this or whether it's just from years of my gut being assaulted by this drug.  Will never know.  But, that is how my set-back happened.

I was unable to buy the yogurt that my body can tolerate...out of stock for almost two weeks.  So, I bought a different kind.  That was my first 'mistake'.  Checked ingredients...all looked okay.  But, it wasn't.  Immediately, things started going down...but, slowly.  Yogurt was the only source of sugar in my diet, and I was eating high fat yogurt/high caloric in order to get my weight back up.  It was a necessity during this as I do not eat dairy...I needed the added fat.  Microbiome change plus sugar detox after I had to stop the yogurt.  First faux pas.

Next, I decided to try Coconut Oil Pulling.  One of my chemical sensitivities is now Salicylates.  Coconut oil is high Salicylate. But, I wasn't going to swallow it!!  What is the fastest way to absorb medications?  Sublingually.  I swished that oil for 20 minutes.  That's when hell broke loose.

I can't describe the difference between elevated WD symptoms and chemical food reactions exactly...but, there is a difference all right.  It was horrific.  No better way to put it.

So, three issues on top of each other.  They just happened.  I'd like to end this on a positive note, ya know?  And, while this sucks beyond words, I know the hardest lessen in this, for me, is to be gentle with myself.  Be forgiving.  It's so hard as we all know.  So, a lot of crying.  That feeling of being stuck without being able to move forward on my taper.  Not going back to the yogurt because I'm not taking the chance of not being able to get it and going through this again.  Plus, I've gained enough weight back now.  From now on...Coconut Oil only used topically!!  

Kinda a boring post, but that's what's been up in my neck of the woods.

Sending you all much Healing!

Warmly

F

@[Fa...] I hear you and understand. I’m sorry this happened to you. You did your due diligence. Dealing with food sensitivities and how they can make the world feel so small is really challenging.

I tried coconut oil pulling and didn’t notice any difference—maybe there was just too much going on at the time for me to notice. But you're right about the area under the tongue and fast absorption. I’m avoiding yogurt myself due to the probiotics, so I hear you on that. I also gained back some weight, possibly a bit too much, and still can’t exercise, so... UGH!

I react to everything I eat, no matter what it is. Each meal seems to elevate my symptoms: increased vibrations, skin pins and needles, tinnitus, and sound sensitivity. I experience minor internal akathisia reactions after eating, especially with something like a teaspoon of cacao in a smoothie, but it’s so minimal now that I just ice pack the chest until it passes.

My experience with aloe vera was similar to yours with coconut oil and yogurt. It seemed harmless, but it ended up making my skin burn more in unexpected places, my nose burn inside more, and my tinnitus louder. I saw a derm who recognized it as a phytotoxic reaction, which was new to me. Never used to have anything like that using aloe vera.

Manuka honey did the same thing when I tried it as a face mask since I can't use regular facial products and wanted a hydrating mask. Even many natural products have a laundry list of ingredients I’m too cautious to try. Or they have ingredients like lavender which I know can be risky. I would LOVE to use mainstream hair products and lotion again, but I stay away from them.

Now I avoid making changes or trying new things, so I understand where you’re coming from.

Does anyone know why these reactions happen? I suspect there might be a hormonal connection in my case. And perhaps it's the drug's effects on histamine levels.

Edited by [Re...]
  • Like 1

@[Re...]  Thanks for this reply...some things you have mentioned clicked for me...especially concerning the Lavender.

The yogurt was, for all intents and purposes, working for me in the right way for over a year.  Changing it created a reaction...the sugar content being removed created the sugar detox as well as SIBO die-off to a certain degree as a result.  But, the sugar and dairy had to go anyway.  Was mildly dairy intolerant before this.  Maybe it was meant to be?

But, the Coconut Oil...that was the killer for me.  Similar to your reactions, but the mental torture was back to the peak of the AKA level.  My skull felt like it was going to explode, my mouth and skin burned unlike anything I've experienced to date, and I've had burning mouth and skin.  The internal vibrations escalated significantly, and the internal agitation was off the charts.  It threw me back to the days when we were connecting regularly...those worst of times.  It started as I was 'swishing'...came on like a bat out of hell.  So, it was unmistakable.

Like you, same with the skin care.  I've not made any major errors, but I had decided to make my own oil with Vitamin A, C and E.  I added some Frankincense and Lavender.  Always use Organic, Cold pressed...you know the drill.  But, before I used it, something told me not to.  I was going to do a test patch, but I haven't.  So, it sits.  I can tolerate Vitamin E on my face as well as Castor Oil.  I was just trying to make something with more benefits combined....but, not going to mix anything up now.  I was using Coconut oil on my body, and I was okay, also.  It's friggin' trial and error.

As far as why these reactions happen...I really feel that it's just that our NS is so out of whack, to say it mildly.  And, I think the reason it hits people in different ways, with different foods (some more common than others) is as unique as we are.  Who the hell knew what a 'salicylate' was?  Not me!  Histamine is an issue for sure...but, to what degree for all?  For some no problem...for others huge.  Comes a point we just have to stop trying to understand because I think it's futile.  We just learn as we go what is happening to us...and, when we feel strong and clear enough, we can test the waters again.  I don't believe that anything stays a constant in this.  And, when we decide to test the waters, we prepare for the three possible outcomes.  It blows!!

20 hours ago, [[F...] said:

@[Re...]  Thanks for this reply...some things you have mentioned clicked for me...especially concerning the Lavender.

The yogurt was, for all intents and purposes, working for me in the right way for over a year.  Changing it created a reaction...the sugar content being removed created the sugar detox as well as SIBO die-off to a certain degree as a result.  But, the sugar and dairy had to go anyway.  Was mildly dairy intolerant before this.  Maybe it was meant to be?

But, the Coconut Oil...that was the killer for me.  Similar to your reactions, but the mental torture was back to the peak of the AKA level.  My skull felt like it was going to explode, my mouth and skin burned unlike anything I've experienced to date, and I've had burning mouth and skin.  The internal vibrations escalated significantly, and the internal agitation was off the charts.  It threw me back to the days when we were connecting regularly...those worst of times.  It started as I was 'swishing'...came on like a bat out of hell.  So, it was unmistakable.

Like you, same with the skin care.  I've not made any major errors, but I had decided to make my own oil with Vitamin A, C and E.  I added some Frankincense and Lavender.  Always use Organic, Cold pressed...you know the drill.  But, before I used it, something told me not to.  I was going to do a test patch, but I haven't.  So, it sits.  I can tolerate Vitamin E on my face as well as Castor Oil.  I was just trying to make something with more benefits combined....but, not going to mix anything up now.  I was using Coconut oil on my body, and I was okay, also.  It's friggin' trial and error.

As far as why these reactions happen...I really feel that it's just that our NS is so out of whack, to say it mildly.  And, I think the reason it hits people in different ways, with different foods (some more common than others) is as unique as we are.  Who the hell knew what a 'salicylate' was?  Not me!  Histamine is an issue for sure...but, to what degree for all?  For some no problem...for others huge.  Comes a point we just have to stop trying to understand because I think it's futile.  We just learn as we go what is happening to us...and, when we feel strong and clear enough, we can test the waters again.  I don't believe that anything stays a constant in this.  And, when we decide to test the waters, we prepare for the three possible outcomes.  It blows!!

I am just going to keep things the same for quite some time. It is not worth it to me to risk it with the skincare although I miss using beauty products. Yes, it all blows! I am almost 13.5 months off the antipsychotic now. And 23 months one week off of benzos. I wonder how long it will be until I am better. Grateful to be off but still so many issues..........I would LOVE to use body lotion my skin gets so dry no matter what I use. What do you use? I use Egyptian Magic and Jojoba/olive oil. Would love your recipe for A,C,E when the time comes if it ever does.