Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Seeking Advice and Insights for Gradual Reduction After Long-Term Use of Mexazolam and Risperidone (+18 years)

Hello everyone,

In 2006, after experiencing a psychotic attack, I was prescribed 2 mg of mexazolam and 2 mg of risperidone, which I was able to discontinue after a year. However, a few months later, I had a relapse with similar symptoms to the psychotic attack, including intrusive thoughts. I resumed the medication and have been on it since then, up to now in 2024. Over these years, I have attempted about 30 withdrawals without full success, but I managed to reduce the dosage multiple times. I have been treated by several psychiatrists, but none of them were familiar with the proper method of tapering. Two years ago, I made my last reduction and have since maintained a dose of 0.080 g of mexazolam (almost a quarter of a 1 mg tablet) and 1 mg of risperidone. I suffer greatly when I attempt withdrawals, and it takes years to reduce any amount. This week, I started another reduction and came to this forum to see if there are any new developments in the area. I am very afraid of suffering from akathisia or something similar. I plan to reduce by 0.001 every three weeks, so now I am at 0.079, and I will see how I manage my symptoms. Currently, I follow a low-carb diet, exercise, work, and am married without children at 43 years old. I am in Portugal, where psychiatric care and support are very backward.

I would like to ask some questions to those who are in the process and more informed than I am:

1. Is there any treatment or method for successful withdrawal that has emerged in recent years?
  2. Is there a way to withdraw without the risk of developing akathisia?
  3. Is there any suggestion that I might not be considering that could help me reduce more easily without side effects?
  4. Are there any psychiatrists or clinics in Portugal or abroad (via video call) that can help me? I have had terrible experiences with doctors.

Thank you in advance for any help or information you can provide!