Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Positive things to do to overcome withdrawal?

Hi Buddies, maybe there is already a thread that I’ve missed (apologies in advance if this is the case), but what things can a sufferer do to assist recovery - apart from the passing of time that is?

Is aerobic activity helpful *IF* it can be handled? Apparently aerobic activity creates neurotrophic growth factor that can help heal the brain. Also how much sleep is needed to allow the nervous system to heal?

4 hours ago, [[M...] said:

Is aerobic activity helpful *IF* it can be handled? Apparently aerobic activity creates neurotrophic growth factor that can help heal the brain. Also how much sleep is needed to allow the nervous system to heal?

Most any activity is helpful for recovery as long as your body can tolerate it. It is a great distraction from withdrawal. I do cardio, weight training and water zumba. Just getting in the water makes my skin feel better - I look forward to it and I have never been in better physical health in my life, until now. So I can thank withdrawal for that!

I don't know if there is anyone that can say how much sleep is needed to heal our CNS. Of course the more regular sleep we get (as close to 7 - 8 hours) the better. I have good nights and bad nights with sleep - 3 hours a night for the most part. I'm so used to this over a year later. IDK. Just waiting this whole process out with the hope of going back to a normal night of sleep.

I hope you can find some type of exercise for yourself. Maybe they do have a water aerobics class near you that you can try to see if it helps you too? Anything you can do, whether it be a treadmill, bike, or elliptical would probably help your CNS....keep us posted so you can help others!

Edited by [vo...]
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, [[M...] said:

Hi Buddies, maybe there is already a thread that I’ve missed (apologies in advance if this is the case), but what things can a sufferer do to assist recovery - apart from the passing of time that is?

I'm 100% sure that my gym routine is speeding up my healing. And as you say if it can be handled..try it ☺️

• Like 2

Thanks so much Voluntas & PEPPE! I really appreciate it, I’ll definitely keep you posted.

Well I did some intense (for me) cycling. Grabbed my hybrid push bike and went for a ride up behind my Dad’s house on the hill range - went for about 1.5 hours. I had breaks but it was moderate cardio, I lifted the bike up onto my back and walked half way up a hill. Actually felt quite dissociated during the ride and quite dissociated afterwards (did already before but I think the intense body feelings probably made it a bit more intense for a while) but afterwards,  tonight I’ve experienced a window - I haven’t had a window like this for a while. 

I’m convinced it’s beneficial, but I think I need to do it daily for as long as possible - I will keep updated!

• Love 3

Posted (edited)

So regarding the neurotrophic growth factor claim - it’s from the book “Spark” by Dr John Ratey. He reports that the science says to get the NTGF you need around 40+ minutes of moderate up to intense aerobic cardio (weightlifting hasn’t been studied)

Edited by [Ma...]

Just now, [[M...] said:

So regarding the neurotrophic growth factor claim - it’s from the book “Spark” by Dr John Ratey. He claims that to get the NTGF you need around 40+ minutes of moderate up to intense aerobic cardio (weightlifting hasn’t been studied)

I do 30min cardio/running and 30min weights every morning. I think I read that lifting heavy is also good for brain recovery..as long that body is working hard it's jummy for it 😁

• Like 1

I believe going for daily walks has helped me alot in withdrawal. If I am too sick I give myself a break but always go back to going for walks. I look forward to it and feel good afterwards. While I go for walks I listen  to music and look at the rabbits and squirrels running around. I see neighbours walking and say hi. Gets me out of the house and somewhat sociable with people. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, [[P...] said:

I do 30min cardio/running and 30min weights every morning. I think I read that lifting heavy is also good for brain recovery..as long that body is working hard it's jummy for it 😁

Heck yeah, that’s a really good amount of daily time! Has it shaped you up too? it sounds like it would!

1 hour ago, [[E...] said:

I believe going for daily walks has helped me alot in withdrawal. If I am too sick I give myself a break but always go back to going for walks. I look forward to it and feel good afterwards. While I go for walks I listen  to music and look at the rabbits and squirrels running around. I see neighbours walking and say hi. Gets me out of the house and somewhat sociable with people. 

Sounds like you live in a beautiful place too? Brilliant work walking is so good - it’s the original back to basic foundation exercise that underlies all I reckon  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

Heck yeah, that’s a really good amount of daily time! Has it shaped you up too? it sounds like it would!

Sounds like you live in a beautiful place too? Brilliant work walking is so good - it’s the original back to basic foundation exercise that underlies all I reckon  

I live in Canada do lots of animals in the wild and trees. The weather has been nice so I have been taking advantage of it. It gets cold in the winter and I still went for daily walks. Just not as interesting as in the summer. Is it nice where you are? 

1 hour ago, [[M...] said:

I done it for around 4 months. Yes it has. My body was in mess after sitting on my ass for two years so it needed a make over. I been working regularly out the last 15 so I'm just taking back what is mine ☺️😁

12 hours ago, [[M...] said:

I think anything you can do to improve your overall health will will give you best chance at recovering slightly faster.  Our energy is consumed by fighting an illness and healing from a very non-organic disease.  The body/brain hasn't evolved to repair specifically from benzo withdrawal but luckily the brain/body itself has remarkable repair mechanisms as long as there hasn't been catastrophic injury to the system.  I think rest and time are two critical factors in healing.  This gives you the time for repair/healing to take place and the rest allows the energy to be directed towards healing.  Nutrition, probably one of the most important factors.  Our cells need essential foods and nutrients to function maximally.  Certain fats like omega 3s are important for neuroplasticity as the brain has a high composition of fat.  Proteins and vital amino acid are needed for cellular repair and to rebuilding the damages neurons and receptors that are made of protein.  Exercise in the right amount is critical.  Too much will place too much stress in the system imo.  But it is vital for our bodies to function.  Stress reduction, goes without saying.  Our bodies are overwhelmed overstressed with wd thus any further stress is too much for the system and will take away from energy that is utilized for healing.  Mind body activities such as yoga.  Therapy to help ease the psychological turmoil that occurs with benzo wd.  Family, friends, community- we are social creatures and can not live without others.  This is often a very under recognized area for good health but is very important.  Spirituality, acceptance, higher power, positivity, fun activities, distraction, music, etc- the list goes on but these areas should be explored as they help us not get dragged down in the weeds of withdrawal.  Sleep too if you can get it!

What I have done 1) exercise.  In the early days of withdrawal all I was able to do was walk and jog and yoga.  Now I run 4-5 miles daily and do compound lifts like deadlifts, squats, etc.  I do yoga on occasion.  2) nutrition- I started eating VERY clean about 3 months into withdrawal and it noticed a drastic change within a few days.  I follow the Paleo diet autoimmune protocol which is designed to reduce inflammation.  It is very restrictive but it has made a profound difference.  I eat lots of salmon, fruit, vegetables. 3) stress reduction & community, I had to "quit" my job and move in with family. 4) therapy, I do group therapy sometimes a couple days a week online.  I am on this forum quite a bit.  5) sleep!  I try to sleep when I can.  Sleep is SOO important and I think it's disruption is the primary reason benzo withdrawal and recovery lasts so long.  Most healing takes place in true restorative sleep.  I take a little bit of trazodone to sleep, but soon will be off of it.  

In other words, be healthy, take care of yourself, keep it simple, be easy on yourself.

• Love 1