Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Benzo or Lyrica

[Ra...]

Which drug is hardest to wean off??  Which one should taper first?? 

I do feel nothing after taking benzo but definitely feel 1000 times worse if ever i would forget to take lyrica dose 

[An...]

I have used both and am now tapering off benzo. My opinion is that you can taper off relatively higher doses with Lyrica than the benzo. I stopped CT with Lyrica and it did not go well. On doctor's advice I am tapering off 25 mg per week. That went well.

• Like 1

[be...]

I was using gabapentin and phenibut cause my taper was very fast. They are samekind drug as lyrica

[Ca...]

For me Lyrica was way harder to get off than Klonopin or Valium. I had severe akasthisia and what not. Getting off Klonopin was way easier for me! I am not kidding! And none of the 2 named substances have ever helped me. But in fact just made it worse. I was so sick being on them! All paradoxical reactions and at first ,i didn't know what happened to me! Doctors said it was my mental illnes! It wasn't! ...got all into this just because of methylphenidate interdose withdrawal. BIND is a lot better to endure than how I felt on these substances!!!! Not kidding!

Now I am off of Klonopin for 16 months and odf of Lyrica for 2 years. Off of methylphenidate for 4 months. 

Never again!

Edited by [Ca...]
  • Like 2

[Ma...]

Everyone is different, but most people find getting off benzos much harder.  Gabapentin and Lyrica act slightly differently and MOST people can wean off them more easily.  

• Like 2

[Ra...]
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, [[b...] said:

I was using gabapentin and phenibut cause my taper was very fast. They are samekind drug as lyrica

@[be...] Which one  did give you bad withdrawals??  Benzo or lyrica?  

Edited by [Ra...]

[Ra...]
5 hours ago, [[C...] said:

For me Lyrica was way harder to get off than Klonopin or Valium. I had severe akasthisia and what not. Getting off Klonopin was way easier for me! I am not kidding! And none of the 2 named substances have ever helped me. But in fact just made it worse. I was so sick being on them! All paradoxical reactions and at first ,i didn't know what happened to me! Doctors said it was my mental illnes! It wasn't! ...got all into this just because of methylphenidate interdose withdrawal. BIND is a lot better to endure than how I felt on these substances!!!! Not kidding!

Now I am off of Klonopin for 16 months and odf of Lyrica for 2 years. Off of methylphenidate for 4 months. 

Never again!

@[Ca...] thank you for your response. I have Akathisia too. Tapering AD,would jump off soon. Both drug, benzo and lyrica making me sick. I do not feel nothing after taking benzo . Idk what should i do now. 

what caused your akathisia?? Benzo or lyrica? 

[Ra...]
9 hours ago, [[A...] said:

I have used both and am now tapering off benzo. My opinion is that you can taper off relatively higher doses with Lyrica than the benzo. I stopped CT with Lyrica and it did not go well. On doctor's advice I am tapering off 25 mg per week. That went well.

@[An...] did you CT lyrica??  

Now you tapering benzo?  Am i right? 

Do you mean lyrica is hardest to wean off?? 

12 hours ago, [[R...] said:

@[Ca...] thank you for your response. I have Akathisia too. Tapering AD,would jump off soon. Both drug, benzo and lyrica making me sick. I do not feel nothing after taking benzo . Idk what should i do now. 

what caused your akathisia?? Benzo or lyrica? 

My akasthisia was first caused by low dose paxil (10mg) that I took for methylphenidate rebound panic attacks. It started on the 3rd day and it was lingering even after I quit paxil after just 10 days. The akasthisia stayed. That's how many other medications and also Lyrica and then Benzos were tried! All of them with paradoxical reactions! They all didn't help amd made me sick sicker than I have ever been. Hell is not even a word to describe it! My akasthisia was of course missdiagnosed as agitated depression! If I hadn't found benzo buddies or dr Jenn or Dr Joseph I wouldn't have known what was wrong with me and going on and that I am not the only one suffering from this and that it definately is the meds.

I was on Lyrica only for 6 weeks as I was told to raise the dosage slowly by only 100mg per week. Was still hoping it would help but in fact it got worse the higher the dosage! 6 weeks on Lyrica was enough for a super bad 6 month long withdrawal that would have definately killed me if I hadn't had my birds. Then Klonopin was prescribed to me to manage Lyrica withdrawal they still thought was agitated depression. It definately wasn't!

Edited by [Ca...]
  • Wow 1

I think both if them gives bad withdrawals

A close friend did a CT from lyrica and had a rough time for a couple of months. 

Good luck.

• Like 1

@[Ra...] True, I am still in the process of tapering off the benzo (klonopin) now.
I used Lyrica along with klonopin but I found Lyrica easier to taper off. I had stopped CT but after taking the starting dose again ( 350 mg) I started tapering off 25 mg per week and that went well. Benzo I find much more difficult.

• Like 1

On 10/08/2024 at 05:57, [[C...] said:

My akasthisia was first caused by low dose paxil (10mg) that I took for methylphenidate rebound panic attacks. It started on the 3rd day and it was lingering even after I quit paxil after just 10 days. The akasthisia stayed. That's how many other medications and also Lyrica and then Benzos were tried! All of them with paradoxical reactions! They all didn't help amd made me sick sicker than I have ever been. Hell is not even a word to describe it! My akasthisia was of course missdiagnosed as agitated depression! If I hadn't found benzo buddies or dr Jenn or Dr Joseph I wouldn't have known what was wrong with me and going on and that I am not the only one suffering from this and that it definately is the meds.

I was on Lyrica only for 6 weeks as I was told to raise the dosage slowly by only 100mg per week. Was still hoping it would help but in fact it got worse the higher the dosage! 6 weeks on Lyrica was enough for a super bad 6 month long withdrawal that would have definately killed me if I hadn't had my birds. Then Klonopin was prescribed to me to manage Lyrica withdrawal they still thought was agitated depression. It definately wasn't!

@[Ca...] wow.... I am shocked after reading your comment. Exactly same was happened with me. I had aka after few pills of p@xil .but Unfortunately i was on pxil original dose for whole two months.i did not know that what is happning wit me. I used to pace with terror and Innerrestless 13 hours of day.  Then i tried failed CT after realising i have aka.

Now i am tapering pxil and Suffering bad withdrawals and aka. They polydruged me with lyrica and benzo aftet onset of aka instead of tapering paxil. i am very afraid of tapering benzo and lyrica. I am already in very bad condition. 

How are you now??  

• Like 1

On 10/08/2024 at 10:17, [[P...] said:

I think both if them gives bad withdrawals

A close friend did a CT from lyrica and had a rough time for a couple of months. 

Good luck.

@[PE...]

I am very confuse don't know which drug should taper first. 

BTW hows your friend now??  And what was his gaba /lyrica dose ??

1 hour ago, [[R...] said:

@[PE...]

I am very confuse don't know which drug should taper first. 

BTW hows your friend now??  And what was his gaba /lyrica dose ??

Hi!

She's just fine.  Seems like gaba drugs have a short (well shorter than benzos anyway) but aggressive withdrawal. She was on highest dose 900mg , 300mg 3x a day. She just stopped ct.

I would take lyrica first! I have withdrawal from another gaba drug that works like lyrica, Phenibut. It was only mental. Can't even compare to a full blown benzo withdrawal. 

Also i think if tapering a gaba drug it can be done quicker than the 5-10% cut every 2 weeks. But let symptoms and how you feeling decide.

Good luck 😊👌

• Like 1

1 hour ago, [[R...] said:

@[Ca...] wow.... I am shocked after reading your comment. Exactly same was happened with me. I had aka after few pills of p@xil .but Unfortunately i was on pxil original dose for whole two months.i did not know that what is happning wit me. I used to pace with terror and Innerrestless 13 hours of day.  Then i tried failed CT after realising i have aka.

Now i am tapering pxil and Suffering bad withdrawals and aka. They polydruged me with lyrica and benzo aftet onset of aka instead of tapering paxil. i am very afraid of tapering benzo and lyrica. I am already in very bad condition. 

How are you now??  

Oh I'm so sorry for what happened to you! I'm shocked! ...and these things happen all the time! We are not alone! Dr josef witt dörring on YouTube discusses a lot of these cases! So glad I found him and Benzo buddies! It's just unbelievable that these side effects and Protracted withdrawals as well as withdrawal itself isn't recognized by the medical community... and it happens to so many off us!

Long story short! I felt immediate relief with the akasthisia after I got off Klonopin via Detox... I detoxed because of my severe paradoxical reactions to all the meds as I had to get off ASAP. It worked though it was brutal and traumatizising! I improved after the first 10 weeks. Improved a bit more after 6 months...improved even more after 9 months and felt pretty close to my old self though still suffering from BIND by then

Then around the one year mark I gott of methylphenidate that I have been taking for 9 years and that caused a severe setback in me that I am still in and it's been 4 months already! It got even worse since I got off Propanolol as my last med 4 weeks ago! Since then I am bedbound again with many many acute like symptoms that came back! In addition I have severe stress around that cannot be avoided. My mom has last stage cancer and needs a life threatening surgery with a 50/50 chance that she will survive. Things are bad for me right now! That all revs up my symptoms like hell!

Hang in there it's worth fighting! You will get through and past this! Healing will happen for both of us! I am sure it will some day! Until then we must stay strong and hold on ! Just endure! You will get better as your system has time to recover from these goddamn awful substances!

I hope you feel relief soon! 

Edited by [Ca...]
  • Like 1

On 11/08/2024 at 19:42, [[P...] said:

Hi!

She's just fine.  Seems like gaba drugs have a short (well shorter than benzos anyway) but aggressive withdrawal. She was on highest dose 900mg , 300mg 3x a day. She just stopped ct.

I would take lyrica first! I have withdrawal from another gaba drug that works like lyrica, Phenibut. It was only mental. Can't even compare to a full blown benzo withdrawal. 

Also i think if tapering a gaba drug it can be done quicker than the 5-10% cut every 2 weeks. But let symptoms and how you feeling decide.

Good luck 😊👌

@[PE...] thank you. 😊