Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Now down to 10mg of Valium

[Ma...]

I started off, switching over to volume after taking Xanax for years. Made the switch to 20 mg of volume from 1 mg of Xanax.
Over the past several months, I’ve been making reductions with my psychiatrist guidance.

I just made another cut today and I’m now down to 10 mg of volume a day. 5 mg in the morning and 5 mg in the evening, but it’s getting very difficult due to withdrawals headaches and so on.

I will be on a hold at this dose for at least two weeks probably more. How long does it take your blood serum level to level out and get used to the new dosage? I know everyone is different but if anyone has a general idea, it may help 

Thank you in advance

[vo...]
42 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

I started off, switching over to volume after taking Xanax for years. Made the switch to 20 mg of volume from 1 mg of Xanax.
Over the past several months, I’ve been making reductions with my psychiatrist guidance.

I just made another cut today and I’m now down to 10 mg of volume a day. 5 mg in the morning and 5 mg in the evening, but it’s getting very difficult due to withdrawals headaches and so on.

I will be on a hold at this dose for at least two weeks probably more. How long does it take your blood serum level to level out and get used to the new dosage? I know everyone is different but if anyone has a general idea, it may help 

Thank you in advance

@[Ma...] That is what I was prescribed as well, one of the most powerful benzos there is, and according to what Jennifer Leigh told me, 10mg is equivalent to 150mg of valium so you are still on a high dose of xanax. You probably already knew this..... I did a rapid taper from 6mg to 0mg in 2 weeks because I had no idea what I was in for with withdrawal (hadn't discovered BB yet), so I understand 2 - 4 weeks is recommended - usually your body will tell you. But also keep in mind that your headaches, as long as they are only due to being a withdrawal symptom, is your body's way of telling you that you are healing. Do you have other symptoms? Our minds are very powerful so I don't want to put any into your head.

[Ma...]

I was on 1 mg of Xanax. .5 twice a day for years. Switched over to 20 mg of Valium and now after making another cut, I am down to 10 mg of Valium, 5 mg in the morning and 5 mg in the evening.
I haven’t taken Xanax in months. But a headache and being on edge is very pronounced now because every time I make a cut at this lower dose it’s a larger percentage of my overall Dose.

Just wanted to clear up the numbers.

How long can I expect this headache and edginess to last before I smooth out?

Any help is appreciated, thank you

[El...]

@[Ma...] As you have stated, everyone is different, so experiences will vary.

Perhaps if you could tell us how long you were taking Xanax?  Why did you switch to Valium?  How long have you been on Valium?  How long did it take you to reduce from 20 mg to 10 mg?  What is your typical reduction rate?  Are you reducing by a cut and hold method, a micro taper, a liquid taper?  How long does it typically take for your symptoms to settle after a cut?  Sorry for all the questions!

Edited by [El...]
Spelling

[Ma...]

I was on the equivalent of 20 of Valium when I began tapering and at the same equivalent of 10 I had to take a long break from tapering.  But that was just me.  I resumed tapering after a long break and am now down to the equivalent of 4 of Valium (.2 Clonazepam)  It’s been difficult but the longer break helped me I think.  

• Like 1

[Ma...]
Posted (edited)

I was on 1 mg of Xanax .5 twice a day for about 10 years. I did a slow transfer over to Valium about eight months ago 20 mg of volume to compensate for the 1 mg of Xanax.
I have strictly been on Valium now for about seven months.

I went down to 15 mg fairly quickly without any problem. 5 mg pills three times a day and about every month and a half. I would cut by a quarter of a pill which is equal to 1.25 mg. of Valium. As of 3 days ago I was on 11.25 mg.

Two days ago under the care of my psychiatrist, I cut the 1.25 mg of Valium out which was my afternoon dose so now I am at 10 mg of Valium. 5 mg in the morning and 5 mg at night. Headache and lack of focus and jitters.
I plan on holding at this dose for a while and then start a micro-taper.

I hope this helps explain my situation, and like I said any help or information would be greatly appreciated 

Edited by [Ma...]

[je...]

If my calculations are correct your last cut was around 11% and the one before around 10%. I could never sustain 10% cuts. It was too much for me. Even though it’s within the recommended range it was still too high for me. 

My telltale sign for cutting too big was headaches. If my standard withdrawal headaches got worse I knew I had to slow down. Many people have also noticed it often becomes more difficult to taper at lower doses. I would suggest you hold this dose for at least 4 weeks or a bit longer due to the long half life of Valium and then reduce the percentage of your reductions.

[Ma...]

That’s what my psychiatrist said. He said that’s about an 11% decrease but it was within the margin and should be safe. He said to hold it is dosage for several weeks and then we will look at a micro taper. But yes, I am having quite a headache that is not going away. Tylenol is doing nothing.

So I’m wondering whether I should push through it and stay at this dose or up dose a very small amount like one percent and hold?