Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

What can you expect to feel days after stopping Valium?

[Ma...]

Hey all, 

just wondering, what might be expected days after stopping Valium for good? I’m getting a weird neuro symptoms 7 days out again of coming off a tiny dose. I managed to last 15 days before a 2.5mg rescuer dose but there’s no more now, all gone thankfully. Feels like it’s escalating with the days.

I’m getting: brain fog, strong feelings of derealisation that are very disturbing - mind is negative and I’m thinking differently, strange tingling in legs and INSIDE head, awareness and misinterpretation of heartbeat, hyper-vigilance - just feeling so damn weird, feels neurological rather than psychological. I’m on beta blockers so not getting panic attacks thank god.

Just after reassurance, I’m getting zero from my doctors - “it’s just anxiety” they say - most of the time I’m calm, so how can it be anxiety. I really appreciate your thoughts buddies.

[vo...]

@[Ma...] I hope you don't mind me weighing in on your post, as Valium wasn't my benzo, Xanax was. Across the board however, it doesn't seem to matter what benzo we're on, they all seem to produce the same/similar withdrawal symptoms because all of these medications affect the GABA receptors the same way so you are correct, this is all related to neurological. I've had some of the same symptoms you mention. Some of them came within weeks after my last dose on 7/30/23, some started a couple of months later and some started as recently as 2 months ago. And they aren't all listed in my history. I decided to stop keeping count of all of my symptoms. BUT, in my 14th month, my symptoms seemed to have taken a turn for the better.

What you might want to keep in mind, is that all of your symptoms are actually your brain telling you that it is healing - which is a wonderful thing. Best to just accept the symptoms you get and not fight them as your brain continues to heal so it can eventually normalize.

Regarding your anxiety, I'm not a doctor, but I did talk to Dr. Jennifer Leigh, one of our own best advocates in the benzo world. She explained to me that even though I thought I was having powerful anxiety, it wasn't actually anxiety. It's when we're in withdrawal, it causes hyperexcitability in our CNS which presents itself as anxiety. Our (yours, mine and everyone else here) GABA receptors are trying to readjust to normal without what it is used to from benzos and that causes this hyperexcitability. That gave me tremendous peace of mind and acceptance of what I had thought for so long, was anxiety. I really hope this information might help you too.:balloon:

• Like 4

[Ma...]
14 hours ago, [[v...] said:

@[Ma...] I hope you don't mind me weighing in on your post, as Valium wasn't my benzo, Xanax was. Across the board however, it doesn't seem to matter what benzo we're on, they all seem to produce the same/similar withdrawal symptoms because all of these medications affect the GABA receptors the same way so you are correct, this is all related to neurological. I've had some of the same symptoms you mention. Some of them came within weeks after my last dose on 7/30/23, some started a couple of months later and some started as recently as 2 months ago. And they aren't all listed in my history. I decided to stop keeping count of all of my symptoms. BUT, in my 14th month, my symptoms seemed to have taken a turn for the better.

What you might want to keep in mind, is that all of your symptoms are actually your brain telling you that it is healing - which is a wonderful thing. Best to just accept the symptoms you get and not fight them as your brain continues to heal so it can eventually normalize.

Regarding your anxiety, I'm not a doctor, but I did talk to Dr. Jennifer Leigh, one of our own best advocates in the benzo world. She explained to me that even though I thought I was having powerful anxiety, it wasn't actually anxiety. It's when we're in withdrawal, it causes hyperexcitability in our CNS which presents itself as anxiety. Our (yours, mine and everyone else here) GABA receptors are trying to readjust to normal without what it is used to from benzos and that causes this hyperexcitability. That gave me tremendous peace of mind and acceptance of what I had thought for so long, was anxiety. I really hope this information might help you too.:balloon:

Hi Voluntas, thank you - the information is very helpful. Ah I have never thought of it like that. So in a way - could I think of it as being like the nervous system producing a “scab” over a wound which causes healing but the scab manifests as the withdrawal symptom almost? That is very interesting! I’m going to google Dr Jennifer Lee. 

Actually my psychiatrist is going to put me on a very low dose of Ritalin for chronic ADHD, I hope my sensitised nervous system goes ok with it.

[vo...]
42 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

Hi Voluntas, thank you - the information is very helpful. Ah I have never thought of it like that. So in a way - could I think of it as being like the nervous system producing a “scab” over a wound which causes healing but the scab manifests as the withdrawal symptom almost? That is very interesting! I’m going to google Dr Jennifer Lee. 

Actually my psychiatrist is going to put me on a very low dose of Ritalin for chronic ADHD, I hope my sensitised nervous system goes ok with it.

That is a good analogy @[Ma...]. Yes, your brain is definitely healing with these uncomfortable and sometimes difficult symptoms. When you go on Dr. Leigh's website, she has a number of really good videos, including her own benzo journey.

Regarding Ritalin, know that it comes with it's own set of problems as noted on the BIC website - "These include stimulants such as Ritalin, Adderall and the like. These drugs may lower the seizure threshold and also increase anxiety." 

The anxiety is something you mentioned you are already dealing with, so please be conscious that it could magnify even more by taking Ritalin. Also, it's important to keep in mind that depending how much Ritalin you are prescribed you may have to be tapered off of that as well down the road. Maybe your dose will be low enough that this may not happen. I only wanted to mention this as well as the potential side effects of that stimulant.

You are your own best advocate, and it sounds like you are doing a very good job of that! So continue to gain information so you can navigate through this process while minimizing as many issues as you can. :balloon:

• Like 1

[Js...]
19 hours ago, [[M...] said:

- “it’s just anxiety” they say - most of the time I’m calm, so how can it be anxiety. I really appreciate your thoughts buddies.

The picture below is how I feel about the comment from the Dr.

.I’m getting: brain fog, strong feelings of derealisation that are very disturbing - mind is negative and I’m thinking differently, strange tingling in legs and INSIDE head, awareness and misinterpretation of heartbeat, hyper-vigilance - just feeling so damn weird, feels neurological rather than psychological. I’m on beta blockers so not getting panic attacks thank god.

So, like Voluntas I was a Xanax user as well. The symptoms you are describing were the acute stage for me and probably the worse that I had to overcome. After 30 days the acute stage became more bearable for me, but everyone has their own timeline. It's almost like my body and mind were disconnected and had to remember how to function. 

Good to hear from you Matt, take care.

7066766269_8e6c38ed2a_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

[Fr...]

Your nervous system was depressed and is now hyperactive until it regulates itself again. Your case doesnt seem as severe as some but hyperactivity causes some harm. Think of it like a seizure like effect that affects your whole body. The harm caused by the hyperactivity is what most long recoveries are about not the actual drug. 

Edited by [Fr...]
  • Like 1

[PE...]

What ever the wd symptoms that are unique for you.

There's a long list to pick from 😆😊

[Ma...]
2 hours ago, [[J...] said:

The picture below is how I feel about the comment from the Dr.

So, like Voluntas I was a Xanax user as well. The symptoms you are describing were the acute stage for me and probably the worse that I had to overcome. After 30 days the acute stage became more bearable for me, but everyone has their own timeline. It's almost like my body and mind were disconnected and had to remember how to function. 

Good to hear from you Matt, take care.

7066766269_8e6c38ed2a_b.jpg

Hi Jsmith, good to chat to you too. I’m sorry you experienced this too, it’s a frightening predicament that feels so lonely when doctors just pass it off as anxiety - (I know what anxiety feels like by itself - no doubt I’m anxious from how weird I feel, but the anxiety is secondary).

Did you worry sometimes that you had a brain disease or dementia or something? 

that disconnection you talk about is so real. 

[Ma...]
3 hours ago, [[v...] said:

That is a good analogy @[Ma...]. Yes, your brain is definitely healing with these uncomfortable and sometimes difficult symptoms. When you go on Dr. Leigh's website, she has a number of really good videos, including her own benzo journey.

Regarding Ritalin, know that it comes with it's own set of problems as noted on the BIC website - "These include stimulants such as Ritalin, Adderall and the like. These drugs may lower the seizure threshold and also increase anxiety." 

The anxiety is something you mentioned you are already dealing with, so please be conscious that it could magnify even more by taking Ritalin. Also, it's important to keep in mind that depending how much Ritalin you are prescribed you may have to be tapered off of that as well down the road. Maybe your dose will be low enough that this may not happen. I only wanted to mention this as well as the potential side effects of that stimulant.

You are your own best advocate, and it sounds like you are doing a very good job of that! So continue to gain information so you can navigate through this process while minimizing as many issues as you can. :balloon:

Thank you, I really appreciate the information. Cheers for that study, I read it and it seems to reassure that seizure threshold shouldn’t be increased at therapeutic doses. I was a bit nervous about a stimulant but the psychiatrist is starting me on a small dose only as a trial. I’ve told her about the antidepressant and Valium withdrawals. She had to apply to some psychiatry board for approval and they’ve looked at it too. She claims paradoxically my anxiety and depression will be lowered. She thinks the ADHD underlies everything- I have to trust her just this once. 

if you wouldn’t mind, could I please trouble you for a link to the BIC website? 

• Love 1

[De...]

When I stopped, Day 1 was great. Felt normal and happy. Day 2 was an absolute train wreck. Didn’t sleep, anxious, sweating…Day 3 got better and Day 4 started to hit my groove. That being said, I’m 6 months out from my last pill and still have bad days and some sleepless nights. 

One thing that I found, was NOTHING compared to the awfulness of the taper. Even on my bad days now, they’re not so bad, just normal bad.

I attached a helpful chart that I used to track how I felt. I think it’s reasonably accurate, but everyone is different.

IMG_8107_Original.jpeg

• Like 1

[Js...]

Hi Jsmith, good to chat to you too. I’m sorry you experienced this too, it’s a frightening predicament that feels so lonely when doctors just pass it off as anxiety - (I know what anxiety feels like by itself - no doubt I’m anxious from how weird I feel, but the anxiety is secondary).

Did you worry sometimes that you had a brain disease or dementia or something? 

that disconnection you talk about is so real. 

Hey Matt,

Yes, I did worry that I damaged my brain as well as my central nervous system. However, after reading many people's stories here and going through the withdrawals; I came to conclude that benzo healing is just so different for everyone and I would not know until I was at a certain milestone.

During the early stages it was hard to see it, but as time passed my memory actually improved and I could recollect some parts of my childhood. Some memories are lost for me, particularly those during the taper and withdrawal. 

During the later stages, the tingling/twitching is almost completely gone. Maybe a month ago, I shared with you my pinky finger and pinky toe would twitch. Going into day 70, I can still feel a light sensation. The duration is always 3 out of 7 days a week, but it's drastically decreased in severity to almost being non existent.  

I feel many of our symptoms can be like this during healing, comes in waves until it finally stops.

You will need perseverance during this time. Always a message away if you want to chat. 

• Like 1

[Ma...]
5 minutes ago, [[J...] said:

Hey Matt,

Yes, I did worry that I damaged my brain as well as my central nervous system. However, after reading many people's stories here and going through the withdrawals; I came to conclude that benzo healing is just so different for everyone and I would not know until I was at a certain milestone.

During the early stages it was hard to see it, but as time passed my memory actually improved and I could recollect some parts of my childhood. Some memories are lost for me, particularly those during the taper and withdrawal. 

During the later stages, the tingling/twitching is almost completely gone. Maybe a month ago, I shared with you my pinky finger and pinky toe would twitch. Going into day 70, I can still feel a light sensation. The duration is always 3 out of 7 days a week, but it's drastically decreased in severity to almost being non existent.  

I feel many of our symptoms can be like this during healing, comes in waves until it finally stops.

You will need perseverance during this time. Always a message away if you want to chat. 

Thank you - this is much appreciated. Your reply does provide me so much hope. I actually have been subconsciously using the twitches as a roadmap, my toes still twitch and move like crazy - but the bottom lip twitches I had have now gone away, perhaps this is a sign of healing? 

It’s funny that perhaps I could use it as reassurance? I get a lot of mind trouble, if my toes still twitch, I haven’t healed yet so not to worry.

I’m really glad that your pinky finger and toe has almost stop twitching also!

Just wondering, has this coincided with your mind working better? Thanks again (I will take you up on the PM, cheers)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, [[M...] said:

Thank you - this is much appreciated. Your reply does provide me so much hope. I actually have been subconsciously using the twitches as a roadmap, my toes still twitch and move like crazy - but the bottom lip twitches I had have now gone away, perhaps this is a sign of healing? 

I think it is a sign that your body is healing and I agree with your thinking for a roadmap.

Coincidentally, I also get mind trouble when my toes twitch. It's that "uh oh here it comes again spidey senses," and I know what to expect.

When knowing when our symptoms flare up we have a better chance of controlling them by reducing negative thoughts and being aware our limits. I drank very little - to no coffee, on the days of a twitch, and purposely stressed less on those days.

I once read a post from PEPPE (maybe 2 months ago), stating to another member they are still very early in their recovery. When I read that it gave me reassurance and put my mind at ease. 

It is astonishing how powerful our minds are, sometimes what we read can prolong or affect our mindset and symptoms as well. We need hope, just as much - if not more, than guidance and knowledge from other users.

6 hours ago, [[M...] said:

I’m really glad that your pinky finger and toe has almost stop twitching also!

Just wondering, has this coincided with your mind working better? Thanks again (I will take you up on the PM, cheers)

Thank you Matt, that is very kind of you!!

Yes. When I twitched, I also found myself dropping things from my hands more often and slurred speech. Although my reflexes were still relatively sharp, I had difficulty concentrating. I recall going to a job interview late June, and thinking to myself "oh wow today is a good day," and walking out landing the job. I am still at this job today, despite sometimes having bad days - but nobody I work with has this awareness of my bad days except for myself. 

Best wishes

• Like 1