Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

OCD with desinfecting hands, skin contact- does it prolong my recovery or make it impossible?

[Ca...]

Hi Buddies,

I somehow really never ever thought of it before since this has been such a ritual for me for decades... I have always been aftraid of germs since I was a Teenager and I desinfect my hands many many times a day I bet like 15 to 20 times! I do it after I went to restroom or if I touched anything unusual, the mail or whatever might have germs on it! This little OCD thing with desinfecting my hands never really bothered me in my life. But today I woke up and thought like: "Hey, you would never touch a benzo or any other medication without gloves now in this whole BIND thing and after... so why putting masses of Alcolhol on your hands all the time?! I mean I Don't ingest it! But ...will it go through my skin into my blood if I always get in skin contact with it?

I heard of doctors claiming that just touching antibiotics very often as it is in the medical community could cause/caused resistencies! My sister told me... she studies medicine to become a doctor. I mean Desinfectant spray or solution or whatever consists of just mainly alcohol! And alcolhol is just pretty much like Benzos (affect Gaba)! So pretty much the same ...and Anyways I didn't do good with alcohol in the past... I never had any good reaction towards any psycho-active substance prior to my BIND times. I am and have always been very hypersensitive. 

No I am not kidding if I have to touch my mom's meds... she has last stage cancer and needs a lot of help with taking her medication- I really wear gloves if I have to touch them! She also takes some psych meds sometimes even a benzo (Valium)  ...I am too scared to get anything of that onto my skin and then into my system! So I guess I should better avoid desinfectant sprays and stuff as well, right? Or am I driving myself crazy?

I wonder whether my little OCD thing with desinfecting hands all the time prolongs my recovery or even makes it impossible! I am 16 months off of Klonopin now (Detox), 3 months off of methylphenidate and 3 or 4 weeks off of Propanolol (now off of everything) and currently in a severe setback caused by getting off methylphenidate this April! So a 4 month severe setback with being bed bound and many many many other nasty symptoms! 

Edited by [Ca...]