Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Can I take Benzo for travelling as needed?

[Ba...]

Guys, I need to travel somewhere and because I am in the middle withdrawal from clonazepam, my blood pressure has been out of control like 150/108 yesterday. I already have existing hypertension so the withdrawal has been hell on my nervous system.I am on the lowest dose of clonazepam now. 

My doctor is the best and she is helping me get off clonazepam the when everyone turned their back on me. She said I can take a one time lorazepam for the trip because of my condition, is this going to ruin my progress?

[Pa...]

@[Ba...], typically a one off dose of benzodiazepines won’t be a problem, how many will you need to take and what dose, what is your dose now?

[PE...]
5 hours ago, [[B...] said:

Guys, I need to travel somewhere and because I am in the middle withdrawal from clonazepam, my blood pressure has been out of control like 150/108 yesterday. I already have existing hypertension so the withdrawal has been hell on my nervous system.I am on the lowest dose of clonazepam now. 

My doctor is the best and she is helping me get off clonazepam the when everyone turned their back on me. She said I can take a one time lorazepam for the trip because of my condition, is this going to ruin my progress?

150/108 is high but not to bad..

Yes it will probably make it worse. One time is probably fine but why chanse?

[Ba...]
6 hours ago, [[P...] said:

@[Ba...], typically a one off dose of benzodiazepines won’t be a problem, how many will you need to take and what dose, what is your dose now?

Would be taking 1mg Lorazepam on the way and if needed during the trip then once more. Only going for two nights. I currently take 0.25mg of clonazpam once at night. Original dose was 0.5mg 3 times a day which was 3 years ago. There is a storm in my body, a spike! 

[Ba...]
3 hours ago, [[P...] said:

150/108 is high but not to bad..

Yes it will probably make it worse. One time is probably fine but why chanse?

Thank for your response.

Isn’t that a horrible blood pressure reading? Right now it’s 130/100

[Pa...]

I'm glad you're working with your doctor @[Ba...], is she concerned about your blood pressure?  I assume you're on medication since you have a history of hypertension?

Have you ever taken Lorazepam before, do you know how you'll react to it, is your doctor prescribing it because its faster acting than Clonazepam?

I hate to see you take a benzodiazepine, and honestly don't know if it will disrupt your progress but if you and your doctor are willing to accept the risk then you're making an informed decision and that's all any of us can do. 

I hope you'll let us know how it went, this will help us help others who are facing something similar. 

12 hours ago, [[B...] said:

What is the reason for the need to take more benzos?  Do you have anxiety with traveling or flying?

You have high blood pressure on that single reading.  But I wouldn't be to concerned about you going on a trip with untreated hypertension unless you have severe high readings (170-180s+/110s+ for example). 

Treating hypertension one needs to go slow, with antihypertensives and life style modifications.

If you have anxiety with traveling consider clonidine, atarax, or benadryl as alternatives.  Clonidine is both good for anxiety and it will lower you BP.  It is sedating.

3 hours ago, [[B...] said:

Thank for your response.

No it's not horrible.  You need an average of BP readings to figure your baseline.  That one single reading puts you at stage 2 hypertension and if that is your average then yes you need treatment. 

[PE...]
21 hours ago, [[B...] said:

Thank for your response.

All good 😀

It's normal to get spikes during this. I had 250/140 and had to go ambulance at one point. 

• Wow 2

[PE...]
1 hour ago, [[P...] said:

All good 😀

It's normal to get spikes during this. I had 250/140 and had to go ambulance at one point. 

Yes @[Pa...] i was rushed 3 times to the hospital because of this. But one was most accute.

They gave me stuff IV to get it down.. very scary. 

Edited by [PE...]
  • Sad 2