Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

10 months post taper. Sour saliva 24/7. Doctor offered me Lyrica.

[Ja...]

I have had sour saliva 24/7 for over three years now.  I am 10 months post taper and it is getting worse.  I also have a problem with my left ear.  Stiffness, fullness, numbness.  I had a parotid gland removed from left neck three years ago.  I was complaining of a salty taste and feeling awful.  I had an ultra sound and a tumour was detected.  The gland was removed and the tumour was benign.  My symptoms did not improve.   When I look back now I believe I was in tolerance from taking 15mg Dalmane for 22years.  If I knew that I could have saved myself an operation.

I am now 3 years on from that operation and the sour taste is awful.  I have had every test and at this stage my doctor suggested Lyrica.  I am 10 months post taper from Dalmane.  My doctor knows I am very reluctant to take medication after my experience with the tolerance and withdrawal from Dalmane.  She asked me to go away and think about it.  I have been constantly visiting my doctor since last April and have been in ER four times.  I know I am becoming a nuisance.  But Lyrica may add to my problems.

I would appreciate any advice. 

[Le...]

I wouldnt. Lyrica have some similar long term concerns as everything else they will offer you. 

I have all the issues you do and hyperacusis too. much worse in left ear. It has improved greatly but lingers more than anything else. I am over a couple years off and it is almost gone. 

Do you feel/hear a pop/crackle when swallowing?  the oral problems can often cause eustacian tube problems that complicate these things. Ever try coconut oil pulling?  A single dose of nasal spray?  If you improve hours after the nasal spray it may suggest the tube isnt closing and is inflammed. How are your sinuses?

Edited by [Le...]

[Ja...]

Thanks Lee1978a for your reply.  I will try the nasal spray.  I have had no problems with my sinuses so far.  I am wary of everything the doctor offers me now and she knows it.  I have become a very difficult patient but I have to say that is the doctors fault not mine.

[PE...]

Sour saiva?? I don’t understand..

Lyrica gives HARD withdrawals. If you choose to take it don't do it everyday. 

[PE...]

Wow i have exactly the same tumour!

It produce a hormon giving me high bp.

I will remove it.. not cancer 😊

[Ja...]

@[PE...]

thats amazing, you have a parotid tumour too.  It makes me wonder had the benzos got something to do with its growth. I would not have had the operation if I knew the tumour was benign.  I have had several operations before but this one I found the most gruelling.  Also the facial muscles are involved and there is a risk of facial paralysis. I would have it monitored if I were you and make sure it is not growing too fast, if it is you will have to have it removed.

I never knew it effected BP.  My blood pressure has been high ever since I got it removed.  I am on medication for BP now.  

[PE...]
23 hours ago, [[J...] said:

@[PE...]

thats amazing, you have a parotid tumour too.  It makes me wonder had the benzos got something to do with its growth. I would not have had the operation if I knew the tumour was benign.  I have had several operations before but this one I found the most gruelling.  Also the facial muscles are involved and there is a risk of facial paralysis. I would have it monitored if I were you and make sure it is not growing too fast, if it is you will have to have it removed.

I never knew it effected BP.  My blood pressure has been high ever since I got it removed.  I am on medication for BP now.  

I read that 10% of everyone having high BP have this tumour. I had it for 20 years. It was tiny but growed some. 

[PE...]
22 hours ago, [[J...] said:

@[PE...]

my mind is made up.  Between hard withdrawals and possible addiction, it is not worth the risk.

Very wise choice. Going from one withdrawal to another is a stupid choice IMO.

😊

[PE...]
23 hours ago, [[J...] said:

@[PE...]

They can produce all kinds of hormones. As that's what that gland does. It's like the chemical factory of the human body.