Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

513 days without Benzodiazepines

[Ne...]

Hello, I've posted once before about the damned heart palpitations. While that symptom has been getting way better, I have seem to have a had a flare up of an old symptom...Brain Zaps. When I first started becoming does tolerant I would get brain zaps. It's like a surge of electricity and shock from the base of my spine that shoots up to the base of my brain, for a split second I feel like my brain froze or I might black out. It's happened 3-4 times the last week and seemingly out of no where. Now a lot of you reassured me that the heart palpitations and myriad of other symptoms are simply part of the withdrawl package that is the Acute phase. I was convinced I was is PAWS due to all the information google was spitting at me. I just need some reassurance now that these zaps are another fleeting symptom. That I'm not crazy and not spiraling into some other issue. 

Other than these zaps, I feel a lot better. Not 100% yet but much more myself. The headaches are getting way lighter and less frequent. I can drive relatively unscathed and calmly. I can go into stores, visit my mother and family. I can work and listen to music. I still stray away from caffeine and soda, still abstain from alcohol. I'd say at this point in my recovery I'm at a solid 75-80 percent.

I will continue to update everyone as time draws on. In summary, I'm having brain zaps at the 513th day after my last dose after a 3 day fast taper. Is this normal?

• Like 1

[Re...]

It is incredible you are 513 days off benzodiazepines, congratulations! We all know on this Forum it is a tremendous accomplishment! 

I personally now brain zaps all too well, I have stopped duloxetine cold turkey and suffered from them for a while, it is quite an unpleasant experience. For me it felt like a short electric shock with muscles spasm, it was relentless often lasting many many hours. 

It seems to be a common phenomenon as I read the Forums, that some of the symptoms can very temporarily return even after longer periods. I really understand it might be disheartening at first, I experienced their reoccurrence in my benzo withdrawal as well. Sometimes there are no triggers we can find at all. But, they usually tend to be less intense and not so lengthy, hopefully it is going to get better for you rather sooner than later, never to return anymore.  

I really appreciate that you see all the improvement and your personal achievements, I like this attitude, I believe It is one of the cornerstones of our recovery. 

Take care @[Ne...]:) 

@[Ne...], hi again:) I'm about 500 days off benzo and experiencing the same. I did have these brain zaps while tapering and during first months off, usually at night, then forgot about them and about a week ago, i had this sensation again. It was very similar to what you described. I take it as a sign of the brain readjusting back to foreign-chemistry free state, which is a nonlinear process where symptoms come and go for some time. I believe it's absolutely normal since lots of people mention this symptom now and then.

Glad your palpitations are much better. You seem to be doing really well and i hope&believe it will be getting better and better for you! :classic_smile:

[Ne...]

Thanks Kate, always a pleasure chatting with you. It's really reassuring knowing we almost mirror each other in time line and symptoms. I wish you the very best and again, thank you! :hug:

[Ne...]

@[Re...] thank you, i appreciate everyones kind words and encouragement. I hope for a speedy recovery for us all. I vow to do everything in my power to see this course through, and deter anyone that may happen doen this path.