Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Flushing palms

[Ro...]

I think I asked a question like this before but I don’t think anyone responded. I have red palms constantly….as well as flushing throughout my body. Has anyone else had this from withdrawal?

[Bu...]

Hello @[Ro...],

I'm sorry I missed your question before, but yes I have had this occasionally through out my taper and off and on in the earlier months after I was off.  At 11 months, it doesn't' happen much anymore.  The redness in particular is gone and the flushing only happens every so often, maybe once a month now.

I think it's just another weird symptom that improves with time. :) 

• Like 1

[Ro...]

Thank you so much…. I’ve been so full of anxiety. Was yours like blood vessels under the skin?

[Bu...]

@[Ro...],

I could see fine, red lines on my palms, more than you would normally be able to.  I looked a bit red, sort of blotchy, all over when the flushing would happen. 

It's funny that you mention this now.  I've been fighting a mild virus this week and today I have some of the flushing back.  I guess maybe it's related to a run down immune system?  At least for me anyway.

Is your flushing accompanied by itching?  Mine often is.  Just curious.

[Ro...]

Thank you so much…. No not itchy but feels hot sometimes. Did yours ever feel hot?

Hi again, @[Ro...], I'm sorry, I didn't see this until now. Yes, it absolutely feels hot.  I think it's systemic inflammation.  Sometimes, anti-inflammatory meds help it.  I can tolerate Aleve quite well.

How are you doing now?

1 hour ago, [[B...] said:

Hi again, @[Ro...], I'm sorry, I didn't see this until now. Yes, it absolutely feels hot.  I think it's systemic inflammation.  Sometimes, anti-inflammatory meds help it.  I can tolerate Aleve quite well.

How are you doing now?

Thank you so much for your reply. I’m doing ok, my palms are still red but they seem to be a little less red and then they get redder again…have you noticed any other skin town changes, sorta like jaundice???

13 hours ago, [[R...] said:

have you noticed any other skin town changes, sorta like jaundice???

Do you mean kind of sallow?  Granted, I haven't seen anyone else's face during this, but I would bet that might be fairly common.   I know that I look very, very pale and my skin does look a little chalky sometimes, like I have on bad makeup (best I can describe it), but it comes and goes.  

Yes, do you typically have that type of completion? This is horrible to have so many symptoms that it scares me. I also have health anxiety. Thank you so much for your response 😊

11 hours ago, [[R...] said:

Yes, do you typically have that type of completion?

No, I don't.  This started after the major insomnia kicked in.  I just kind of look like someone who has been battling an illness for a long while.

Who wouldn't have health anxiety during this?  This is quite a challenge, isn't it?  I sometimes get very frustrated with trying to sort out what, if anything, I should be overly concerned about during this process.  I landed on keeping an eye on things I had before withdrawal and keeping up with routine medical screenings that aren't too invasive.  Anything else that began after my taper and withdrawal I just kind of monitor myself to see if it lasts.  So far, my skin stuff has all come and gone.  Sometimes it returns, but never to the same degree of severity as before, so I think it is from withdrawal.  This is just my approach.

For peace of mind, you can always have your doctor check blood levels and such, just to rule out any other problems.  I have struggled with low vit. d and Folate for years, so I still have those checked to see where I'm at. 

Soon, I plan on having a complete blood count just to make sure things aren't too out of hand.  I know that withdrawal can mess with things, so I'm not too worried if some things are a little off.  I just keep an eye on them.  I remember reading a post not long ago where someone was talking about having some off blood levels during the worst of withdrawal, but then having them rechecked a few months later, and everything had returned to normal.

I have the worst health anxiety. Today my little toe had a black mark on it and when I read what it might be, I was beside myself.

I am also very lightheaded today. So that's worrying me. Yes my palms get red periodicaly and I have developed broken blood vessels on my face and my face flushes. Lately I have had runs of rapid heart rate. It's a vicious cycle. I live with my blood pressure cuff,  my pulse oxymeter and my diabetes kit to monitor my blood sugar. All of these things usually read normal. But it does not reassure me. I feel your pain. And I am too agoraphobic to go see any doctor. Sometimes I order blood work thru Labcorp .

my hypochondriasis was pre-existing but this is a million times worse. I am dropping one mg of valium a month. At 12 down from 40 with one break of a month or two and one updose from 12.2 to 14. I will die first before I updose again. It did nothing and I had to hold there and then go thru that two mg drop again. I am considering dropping to a five percent taper rate since I have been in withdrawal since day one of taper.