Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Episodic Diaphragm issue. Short version.

[Si...]

So my Episodic Diaphragm issue; it is like muscle tightening and pressure rising to the left center or right of my breast bone just below.
When Left: there are 10 skipped beats seen on the cardiologist ECG. remarkable for someone whom doesn't feel them nor usually has any skipped beats (skipped beats are totally fine).
But as the pressure mounts it leads to a bigger cardiac event of which I caught on my own 1-channel ECG.
The AI and my father in law sees it as ventricular tachycardia. (the jury is still out on what it actually is)
It feels like the life goes out of me for a split sec. my heart drops away for 1-2-3 seconds and comes back if it was 3 seconds with a short of reanimation BANG, otherwise it feels more like a nasty hike-up? like something swallows?
Instinctively my body tells me to bend over forwards and do a sort of growling murmur cough. which I do and it saves me then and there? not sure.

Episode is often or nearly all the time accompanied by difficulty breathing, belly bloating, stuck / muscle tight shoulder blades, stomach reflux, sore feeling on same position where the pressure mounts, trouble bending over. 

It can often be caused by: laying down on the couch playing the didgeridoo, a certain shift of work (going up and down from the bikecycle a lot), also when excessing force on the bike to startup, whenever I step out of the Bath, certain sexual positions like doggystyle, sometimes by eating too much, cold lures it out quite a bit. Hot weather as well but less often, walking up the stairs, the flu.

Perhaps also the next day after taking magnesium? It is something im not certain about yet. 

Doe
s anyone recognize this as benzo withdrawal? 
Im 15months off guys, the Diaphragm to heart issue is unbearable.

[Si...]

A benzo belly or a muscle tension disorder might be at the root of it. 
Does anyone know how to best deal with for example the benzo belly?

Issues around the diaphragm are common wd symptoms. And the heart. My heart and upper stomach issues seem to be connected. Very similar to what you describe. The upper stomach up into the chest is where all my panic attacks started.

22 months off of benzos and a calcium channel blocker, I hardly ever get a full blown attack. I still get the pressure up under, but no slamming palpitations with altered thinking. It has all faded as I get further out from benzos.

• Love 1

[Si...]

Thanks for replying. 

With the calcium channel blocker, do you mean you are off that medication as well or are you using it currently? I guess you meant the first. 

Yeah this process is so non-linear, its hard for me to say if its benzo related. for example you say they faded the longer you get further out off the benzo's. that doesnt seem to be the case for me rather the opposite. 
Also gut bloating and palpitations are common but what sort of palpitations did you get? because mine seem to climax to a ventricular tachycardia which is aw so horrible feeling. 

Also could you shed some light on what diaphragm issues those are? 
It is reassuring somewhat to know it is common. im still trying to see whether they are applicable to my own situation. because these symptoms and that of a walking discoordination have been almost ongoing like a red line throughout my taper.

The bloated belly for sure would be similar and caused by benzo. aka the well known benzo belly. 
it is where that bloated belly pressure leads too for me that is dangerous. and not acceptable way to life.

At about a year off I was having blood pressure spikes with panic 200+/ 100+. And head ache. I started calcium channel blockers then and still take them.

The last years on benzos I was getting the normal tachycardia panic attacks which I felt strongly in my upper belly. (Blood pressure ran close to normal those years). The tachycardia/skipped beats type of attack left a few months after jumping. They were replaced with just sudden panic  attacks where I just felt like total crap/death then sick for hours after 

Now 22 months off and getting my brains back, I can sense what is going on a little better. I think my transverse colon is very sensitive. Although it's not 100% the colon because sometimes the pain is higher in the solar plexus diaphragm area. And I get breathlessness too. I've been keeping a log for 3 years now and can't exactly pin down that is is just the colon. Sorry, so hard to explain.  But it's all dead center anywhere from 4 inches above belly button up to sternum/diaphragm. Either way when it acts up breathing is difficult and breathlessness which as you may know is different than winded.

I've read and watched a lot of testimonies where people have all kinds of symptoms in the diaphragm area.  Burning,tightening, little motor running sensation,ect.

The diaphragm issue comes and goes over the months. And some of the later periods of it flaring up were worse than some of the earlier. So don't worry, it's probably benzos.

Also a lot of people talk about looking pregnant with benzos belly. But mine is all upper belly. And my bloating is all upper and very uncomfortable. No rhyme or reason with diet. Just comes and goes as it wants. Overall it is healing. 

Sorry that is not that clear, I'd have to write a novel.

• Love 1

[Si...]
Posted (edited)

Thanks for trying anyway! much appreciated. you can write me a novel anytime you want <3
These symptoms around the diaphragm are so difficult to describe indeed! in my case very threating because of the ventricle tachycardia.
As they seem to accumulate demand on my heart. which wouldn't be logical normally by its pressure alone.
since the diaphragm separates the stomach from the heart. unless there is an actual sliding hiatal hernia or dysfunction of the diaphragm of somesort. 

I also have them more in my upper belly, it could very well be benzo belly at the root of it.
gggrrr In a way I hope that it is benzo. that I can handle. but its too serious to be in the dark. not knowing what to do.
what best course of action to take.

Edited by [Si...]