Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Lorazepam to Valium

[73...]
2 minutes ago, [[m...] said:

I didn’t realize I could do once a day. That would probably work better for me. I’ll ask my doctor about it to see if he thinks it’s a viable option. Would certainly make it easier with my nighttime med. 

Diazepam is better to use at night before sleep due to its highly sedation. I wish i had noticed before that to take a Valium at lunch time is never a good idea, so even worse if you have to do it every day.

[Li...]
17 minutes ago, [[m...] said:

Yes, they have a major interaction. I am on xywav. But, if Valium makes me sleepy, then I might be able to take it at around 8 and only take one dose of xywav around 2 or 3 am. 

That’s good you are aware of the interaction.  As you probably also know, Xywav also interacts with buspirone and the risk or severity of CNS depression can be increased when buspirone is combined with diazepam.

In your shoes, I would consult with a knowledgeable pharmacist (or — even better — pharmacologist) about the concomitant use of Xywav with diazepam and buspirone.  I’d also ask about whether I should be monitored for CNS and respiratory depression.

[mo...]
8 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

That’s good you are aware of the interaction.  As you probably also know, Xywav also interacts with buspirone and the risk or severity of CNS depression can be increased when buspirone is combined with diazepam.

In your shoes, I would consult with a knowledgeable pharmacist (or — even better — pharmacologist) about the concomitant use of Xywav with diazepam and buspirone.  I’d also ask about whether I should be monitored for CNS and respiratory depression.

I don’t take busprione or Ativan, now diazepam, within 5 hours of the xywav on either end. I know the pharmacist said I could take busprione with xywav without issue but still am cautious and keep them 5 hours apart. 

[mo...]
5 hours ago, [[P...] said:

@[mo...], the problem with not doing a proper crossover is you can end up a medication deficit because the Ativan leaves quickly and the Valium takes days to build up.  This could have you begin your taper in a place of instability, could you do a quick two step crossover?  Maybe you could do an abbreviated crossover, convert half of your dose to Valium the first week, then the rest the second. 

You've been on the medication for such a short time, I hate to see you spend too much time on a crossover which will increase your time on the drug and really, for short time users, we hope to see a more rapid taper.  But, if symptoms won't allow this, then settling in for a slow taper is best. 

You mentioned not being able to cut the 5 mg pill, why is that, are you worried about accuracy?

So, convert the late afternoon .5 mg lorazepam dose to the 5 mg Valium for a week, then convert the morning dose the following week? 

[mo...]

@[mo...], the problem with not doing a proper crossover is you can end up a medication deficit because the Ativan leaves quickly and the Valium takes days to build up.  This could have you begin your taper in a place of instability, could you do a quick two step crossover?  Maybe you could do an abbreviated crossover, convert half of your dose to Valium the first week, then the rest the second. 

You've been on the medication for such a short time, I hate to see you spend too much time on a crossover which will increase your time on the drug and really, for short time users, we hope to see a more rapid taper.  But, if symptoms won't allow this, then settling in for a slow taper is best. 

You mentioned not being able to cut the 5 mg pill, why is that, are you worried about accuracy?

So, convert the late afternoon .5 mg lorazepam dose to the 5 mg Valium for a week, then convert the morning dose the following week? 

[mo...]

[Pa...]
1 hour ago, [[m...] said:

That sounds reasonable, I hope you'll let us know how you're doing with it. 

[mo...]
23 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

That sounds reasonable, I hope you'll let us know how you're doing with it. 

Will do! I really appreciate all the wonderful advice! 

• Like 1

[mo...]

My doctor responded to me this morning and said he wants me to do the straight switch. He specializes in addiction and tapering benzos so I’m going to give it a try. I’m hoping it’s the right thing. I took the 5 mg valium this morning and got sleepy but by 11 was shaking. He said to take the additional 2 mg which did help. So, I’m guessing I need the 12 mg vs 10 a day to start out. 

This is all so hard. I second guess everything I'm doing and everything he recommends and know I need to just have faith to get through this. How long should I stay at this dose to stabilize with the switch before starting any tapering? With not being on them daily longer than 3 months, I’m hoping I can taper more quickly. 

[mo...]
Posted (edited)

I don’t think this is going to work! Two hours after taking the 2mg pill, I had a major panic attack. My husband doesn’t want me to do the 1 week of Ativan morning and Valium evening then go to all Valium without talking to the doctor but he made it clear he wants me to directly switch. 

Can it be the switch that is causing problems?

Edited by [mo...]

[Pa...]

@[mo...], please follow your doctors advice if you and your husband feel its best, we never want to go against doctors advice unless our member makes it clear they're dissatisfied with the advice they've received.

To answer your question, yes, its the switch.  Valium takes awhile to build up in your body but Ativan is quick to leave, (you can look up half lives of the medications to verify this) you're having withdrawal symptoms because of this.  This is why Professor Ashton crossed her patients over slowly, to allow the Valium time to come up to full strength.

There are some who aren't able to make the switch, Valium causes sedation and depression which I'm told will leave when your body gets used to it but it can be challenging while this is happening.

I would give your body a couple of weeks at least to get used to the Valium before you begin a taper. 

[mo...]
Just now, [[P...] said:

@[mo...], please follow your doctors advice if you and your husband feel its best, we never want to go against doctors advice unless our member makes it clear they're dissatisfied with the advice they've received.

To answer your question, yes, its the switch.  Valium takes awhile to build up in your body but Ativan is quick to leave, (you can look up half lives of the medications to verify this) you're having withdrawal symptoms because of this.  This is why Professor Ashton crossed her patients over slowly, to allow the Valium time to come up to full strength.

There are some who aren't able to make the switch, Valium causes sedation and depression which I'm told will leave when your body gets used to it but it can be challenging while this is happening.

I would give your body a couple of weeks at least to get used to the Valium before you begin a taper. 

how long do you think it will take for the Valium to build up? I can’t do these horrible panic attacks every day though. I would rather do the week of Ativan morning and Valium later afternoon then fully switch to Valium next week. Would that be enough time for the Valium to build up? 

[Pa...]

Professor Ashton crossed her patients over in 1 to 2 weeks so I believe you should begin to feel better by next week in order to fully cross over.  This is why we only suggest crossing over to those who are suffering extreme interdose withdrawal, its not a pleasant process.

I'm sorry you're suffering but please don't cause extra stress on you by going against your husband and doctor.  Yes, we probably understand your situation better than they do, but you have to live in your world and I know how difficult it is to defend your position when you're not at your best and in so much distress. 

• Like 1

[mo...]

My husband said I need to just get through it and not take the lorazepam. I just don’t know if I can handle the withdrawal however long it takes. I’m sorry for sounding so whiny. This was the worst attack I’ve had in over a month. 

[Pa...]

No worries @[mo...], this was the most difficult experience I've ever faced and did my fair share of whining.  

I'm sure your husband cares about you and hates to see you suffer but no one can understand who hasn't been through it.  This isn't just your standard panic attack or anxiety, once the drug turns on us, its all of these on steroids, members say it has a chemical feel to it, I'm not sure I know what that is though.

I gave up every day, and I'm sure you want to but the only way out of this mess is through it.  There are no shortcuts and no easy way out. 

• Love 1

[73...]
27 minutes ago, [[m...] said:

This was the worst attack I’ve had in over a month. 

Hi @[mo...] Could it be possible that you're extremely worried these days about the switching and all this process? this could be causing extreme stress to you and making the panic worse, remember panic is feed by fear, i know it is very hard but you have to try to keep calm, you will be fine, diazepam will work and you'll feel better. I remember being in a constant state of fear when i realized i was hook to the drug and found out what that meant but like all, you will get use to it, you will start you're tapering rutines and eventually get a good pace.

I not saying that the panic attacks are not caused by the benzos, of course they do that as a rebound side effect but being in fear and worry state will only make it worse, is like adding gasoline to the fire.

Keep the calm and you will be alright, as long as you take your doses there is nothing to worry about, you will feel the symptoms and waves of course but that is the price to pay for getting rid of the drug and something inevitable in a taper. Don't rush, in the end we all rather go slow and be more functional than trying a fast taper and be Bed/home bound.

The positive message about this nightmare is that time is on our side, time will heal us and with time enough we will be free and cured.

Stay strong, stay calm.

Edited by Guest
typo

[mo...]

I just honestly thought that being on a lower dose and for a shorter time, it wouldn’t be this hard. So, I need to just wade through until the Valium builds up and hope I don’t lose my mind? The pain from the surgery that started this whole anxiety/panic mess doesn’t help along with the massive daily hair loss. So, in a week, I should be feeling better with the Valium? I didn’t know it can cause depression as I’m already dealing with a heavy dose of that. 

I will do my best to stay calm and not fight the anxiety when it hits. 

Thank you for being here when I have questions or feel the insane need to vent! 

[Pa...]

As I mentioned, the depression members talk about is temporary so if it shows up, I hope you can focus on that.  @[Do...] gave you very good input, distraction and calming techniques are important, and acceptance. 

• Like 1

[73...]
42 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

As I mentioned, the depression members talk about is temporary so if it shows up, I hope you can focus on that.  @[Do...] gave you very good input, distraction and calming techniques are important, and acceptance. 

@[mo...] I was suffering from extreme anxiety and non stop panic attacks and that's what got me in benzos dependancy, i learned too late that panic and anxiety are just a feeling and they way we react to things and as a mental thing it can't harm you, once i lost the fear kept the calm it faded. I wish i knew that before i was taking all those benzos. I heard this advice from a great podcaster called Jennifer  Swan; "react to the situation not the feeling", example: react to a guy with a knife trying to rob you, let your adrenaline rush there, let it go flight or fight mode, but when you feel that adrenaline rush while your sitting watching tv... Don't react to that, don't let that adrenaline go wild, don't feed it with your fear, accept the feeling and allow it, keep the calm and it won't climb any higher, Do some ddep breathings and make you mindset to remember that you're fine and there is no danger. Keep the calm, let it go.

I also come from a very short time of benzo use and i got hooked, i also tried a fast taper and i hit the wall, some people can do fast tapers without a problem, if you can.. fine but if you can't just go the long way as the great majority of us. You will find out is way better to go slow and safe than suffer endless hell symptoms and in the end it doesn't garantee you will be ok after the taper, too fast tapers and cold turkey are more likely to have a very long recovery after being off the drug and you will be in the same position of suffer and pain.

Anxiety is unavoidable in WD and you will feel it but to have some bearable anxiety or the hell of non stop panic attacks depend very much in how you cope and handle it, something called second fear which is, fearing of having new panic attacks, then having it and then fearing again of having another one with an endless vicious circle.

You will be fine, remember that, do it right, go slow and keep the calm.

[mo...]

I have had 3 bad panic attacks in the last 5 hours. I’ve done the breathing, etc. So grateful for my husband but these stink! It’s has set off a fibromyalgia flare and I’m hurting everywhere. I promise I’m trying my best to work through these but I feel like I’m dying.

[73...]

What did those panic attack did to you, objetibly? Wasn't juat the feeling of overwhelming fear?

The fibromialgia is widely misdiagnosed to us benzo victims, muscle pain is one of the biggest symptoms and how i found out about benzo WD, i was told by doctors it could be fibromialgia but that isnt even a desease, it is just a syndrome which means is a group of symptoms, they usually put that label when they don't know what your problem is. 99% of fibromialgia symptoms fit with benzo WD symptoms.

You just need to stabilize in yhe right benzo dose and all symptoms will go away until you start tapering again, but if you do it slow enough they will be mild and bearable.

Edited by Guest

[mo...]

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 1994 and am intimately familiar with the ins and out of it.. I retired from the Army in 2010 after 21 years. I’ve been deployed and been in some pretty stressful situations and never faced something this hard in my life. 

This evening has been one panic attack after another… racing pulse, horrible headache, full body shakes, crying, and overwhelming sense of doom. Trust me when I say I’ve been doing everything in my power to head them off. Meditation, deep breathing, distraction, etc. my husband has even given me a massage. 

[73...]
18 minutes ago, [[m...] said:

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 1994 and am intimately familiar with the ins and out of it.. I retired from the Army in 2010 after 21 years. I’ve been deployed and been in some pretty stressful situations and never faced something this hard in my life. 

This evening has been one panic attack after another… racing pulse, horrible headache, full body shakes, crying, and overwhelming sense of doom. Trust me when I say I’ve been doing everything in my power to head them off. Meditation, deep breathing, distraction, etc. my husband has even given me a massage. 

Have you tryied to allow the panic? Let it happen? It is the last step of a long journey, it took me 3 months to build the puzzle and get there but its the only thing that works.

Panic wont hurt you, it wont do nothing to you but scare you, the racing pulse, heart palpitations, etc is what your body is supposed to do when you're in danger. Is just your reaction to that what is making it worse. If you dont fear it, it wont happen, it will fade away in 5 seconds, this is how it happened to me and i am free from them for good.

You need to tell your brain that there is no danger, if you go into fear state your brain will think it is apropiate to keep the adrenaline flowing 

I know it may sound crazy, i thought the same when i was told this but i was tired and i couldnt fight it anymore so i said "ok, do what you want" and the panic faded in 5 seconds, the very moment i stop fighting it, it ended.

I am not making this up, it is well know method from dr claire weekes and has free from anxiety to many like me.

Accept, allow and let go.

Edited by Guest

[mo...]

I have tried all day. Guess it’s going to take time to get it right. Thank you so much! 

[73...]
8 hours ago, [[m...] said:

I have tried all day. Guess it’s going to take time to get it right. Thank you so much! 

It takes sometime to make your mindset to do it but you will find improvement soon.