Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Does it really take months to years to heal?

[Ne...]

Even if you follow a slow taper?  If you’re suffering throughout a slow taper, is it worth it to continue doing so vs just cold turkeying?  Seems like a lose lose situation either way.

• Like 1

[Re...]

Hello @[Ne...], according to the information and experiences I gathered since I have been in this community, symptom-led, slow paced tapers are usually way less problematic than rapid tapers or cold turkeys. There might be a healing time even after longer tapers, but way less serious and not that many symptoms, with a lot better functionality. 

I would definitely advise you to continue your slow taper. Please do not consider a CT. 

• Like 2

[Si...]

Yes take the slow taper, anything you think is bad will be much worse with a c/t. 
also for the reasons of what comes after withdrawal. in my opinion you'd be much better off with a slow taper. im 15months off and going through horrible stuff.

Edited by [Si...]

[Em...]

Hi there,

Sending you a cyber-hug 🫂

I can relate to your thinking all too well. Wanted to just jump so many times. I can assure you I have done as much research on this topic as a person probably can and have decided to do a slow taper all the way. The longer you have been using and the higher the dose its even more important. It isn't only about the GABA, its also other chemistry and neurotransmitters in your brain that have been gone out of ballance (to try and compensate for the extra GABA flow). 

I would reccomend tapering.

Best of luck ❤

[je...]
5 hours ago, [[N...] said:

Even if you follow a slow taper?  If you’re suffering throughout a slow taper, is it worth it to continue doing so vs just cold turkeying?  Seems like a lose lose situation either way.

I’ve had these exact thoughts throughout my taper. I kept thinking I wanted to jump and just get it over with. But the problem I’ve seen with people who have done just that is that we think it can’t get worse but benzo’s are the gift that keeps on giving and boy it usually does get a lot worse for a lot longer than we imagined. 

[50...]

Hi @[Ne...] Quote from the Ashton manual:

Be patient. There is no need to hurry withdrawal. Your body (and brain) may need time to
readjust after years of being on benzodiazepines. Many people have taken a year or
more to complete the withdrawal. So don't rush, and, above all, do not try to stop
suddenly.

[Ne...]

Im realizing I’ve been tapering much longer than I was taking benzos (now going on 7 months of tapering after taking them on and off for 4 months).  I feel like this may be doing more harm than good and had many of the symptoms I experience now (and even worse) when I first reinstated Lexapro before getting on a benzo. 

[dp...]

Everyone's situation ends up being individual for a variety of reasons, but the best bet to have a less eventful w/d would be doing it slow and setting no timetable for getting off. Especially the last few mg of the drug you're coming off of. If I could go back in time, I'd have gone way slower towards the end.

• Like 1

[je...]
7 hours ago, [[N...] said:

Im realizing I’ve been tapering much longer than I was taking benzos (now going on 7 months of tapering after taking them on and off for 4 months).  I feel like this may be doing more harm than good and had many of the symptoms I experience now (and even worse) when I first reinstated Lexapro before getting on a benzo. 

If you developed dependency then you’re dependent regardless of how long you’ve taken the drug. If you rush your taper to get off, it will feel just as brutal as someone who has been on for years. The purpose of a taper is to gently allow your brain to get used to lower doses of benzo’s. 

It might be that your previous experience with psych drugs made you more sensitive to it. Who knows? Ultimately you’re doing the best you can right now and I know it’s hard but you’re going to get through this.

That is actually a really good question!

I can only speak for myself and i did a CT and it was a nightmare. But I'm ok 9 months post. Most seem to suffer longer.

If I could turn back time i would had CT earlier because i was in full wd with akathisia and vomiting the whole last year when trying to taper. And every other symptom..except any form of pain. 

There are many factors making withdrawal symptoms really bad, or not so bad IMO.

There is also the risk of getting seizures when deciding to go CT. 

Edited by [PE...]

I jumped at the end of my taper because I just wanted it to end. But this was a bad idea, the acute phase of withdrawal (the first 2 weeks) were pretty rough and I can look back now and see just how sick my body was right after jumping.  I believe I'd be further along in my healing had I stuck out the tapering. I am in my 8th month benzo free now, and while I am getting better with each passing month, I still have bad episodes that ruin several days in a row, some days I feel fair enough but others take me back to those early months after my taper ended. Benzos really scramble the brain, even with low doses and short term use. Don't do it! Stick it out! 

On 03/08/2024 at 15:36, [[N...] said:

I was taking ativan 1 mg for 6 months. I tapered to 0.05 mg in 8 weeks and I jumped. That was 3 weeks ago and I feel a lot better. The taper was kind of rough so was the first week after jump. 

@[Bo...] your timeline seems to make much more sense.  I’ve been tapering for 7 months and was on Ativan 1.5mg daily for a month and klonopin / Ativan as needed from Oct 2023 - Jan 2024.  I’m also stuck on 10mg lexapro which isn’t helping matters.  I think I’ve def been tapering too long and have terrible symptoms, but can’t distinguish anymore if it’s all withdrawal or just treatment-resistant depression / anxiety. 😣 

11 hours ago, [[N...] said:

@[Bo...] your timeline seems to make much more sense.  I’ve been tapering for 7 months and was on Ativan 1.5mg daily for a month and klonopin / Ativan as needed from Oct 2023 - Jan 2024.  I’m also stuck on 10mg lexapro which isn’t helping matters.  I think I’ve def been tapering too long and have terrible symptoms, but can’t distinguish anymore if it’s all withdrawal or just treatment-resistant depression / anxiety. 😣 

I got anxiety from ativan. After a few weeks. I had no idea it was from the drug. So went to the doctor who gave me xanax on top of the ativan. Helped of course, but only a few weeks. During taper I had anxiety, but became better as the dose came down. Now, after jump, anxiety is mostly gone. What is left are physical symptoms. Nausea, heavy limbs, numbness in hands and feet and so on.