Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Trazodone taper experience?

Anyone successfully tapered off of trazodone?  I've been taking 50 mg for the last 8 months while dealing with benzo withdrawal to help with sleep. It is no longer effective as a sleep aid so I see no purpose to continue it.  It is the only medication I take.

I'm a bit worried about withdrawal effects given the heightened sensitivity of my nervous system currently from benzo wd.  I was planning on reducing 12.5 mg every week and be off in a month.  My physician said it's a low dose and I likely won't experience withdrawal. 

Has anyone successfully tapered from this?  What was your schedule?  Did you have any wd symptoms?

[Bo...]

Have had a lot of friends I met in this taper off Traz after being on benzos…. Of course your Dr says it’s a small dose and not long time , it’s their typical line they tell everyone. If it were me I’d take it slower as you don’t want to cause a setback of benzo stuff bc stressing your body coming off Trazodone too quickly. I’ve had friends cut 10% every two weeks that did well and some took it 10% drops every month. One lady dropped by 5mg every couple weeks as she was on 100mg and then below 50mg slowed down.

ideally staying at 10% 2-4 weeks will give you a gauge of how your body is responding and if you can speed up great. Last thing you want is to start out of the gate too quick and induce hell and injure yourself. It’s not worth it and this comes from someone who has aka bc I listened ro my Dr to taper who did it way too fast. 
Also Maudsley book is a very very strong resource that would benefit your Dr having a copy of and you being in the loop….. it’s everything we should know all wrapped up together and some science behind it unlike the cut in half methods you hear form prescribers.

all the best, it’s usually a decent med to taper off of but just again take slow at first and work your way from there is what I’d do knowing what I know now (and having been polydrugged pn 15meds)

https://www.amazon.com/Maudsley-Guidelines-prescribing-Prescribing/dp/111982298X

[Si...]

Hi, I'm not off it yet but I'm going at 5mg a week.  Do you feel it's causing any bad effects?  I read that it metabolises into mccp which is something they give people or animals in experiments to induce anxiety.  

39 minutes ago, [[S...] said:

Hi, I'm not off it yet but I'm going at 5mg a week.  Do you feel it's causing any bad effects?  I read that it metabolises into mccp which is something they give people or animals in experiments to induce anxiety.  

I certainly have side effects that I have just delt with;  primarily nausea, orthostatic hypotension, and not quite priapism.  I notice in the mornings after I take it I'm pretty jittery and anxious for a couple hours and unable to fall back asleep.  I would surmise this could be related to MCCP given the timing.

[Ma...]

I would be very careful cutting that much to start. I have had a horrendous time trying to cut traz. I dropped a similar amount m first cut and had a setback for months. I’m down to 50mg now but every time I cut even 5% it’s difficult. 
we are all different but I would try just 5-10% for a month and see how you feel. 
it took me 2 weeks to feel the cut so pace yourself.

Good luck 

1 hour ago, [[M...] said:

I would be very careful cutting that much to start. I have had a horrendous time trying to cut traz. I dropped a similar amount m first cut and had a setback for months. I’m down to 50mg now but every time I cut even 5% it’s difficult. 
we are all different but I would try just 5-10% for a month and see how you feel. 
it took me 2 weeks to feel the cut so pace yourself.

Good luck 

What withdrawal symptoms were you experiencing?

7 hours ago, [[S...] said:

How are you cutting it?  The smallest strength I could find is 50 mg.