Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Valium

[ma...]

Hi I am looking for some advice please. I am 4 months off antidepressants after long term use and 6 weeks off valium which was given to me over the course of 4 years. My antidepressant had pooped out after 14 years and in 2020 I began trials of various ssris all of which were unsuccessful and seemed to make my anxiety worse I was still depressed also. As I've said I used valium through this period not everyday but I did use it at various doses. 10mg 5 mg. I am really struggling with withdrawal and my question is am I now experiencing benzo withdrawal from it or is it all from antidepressants im so confused I just hope someone can offer me some knowledge. I am aware that I am in antidepressant withdrawal but since stopping the valium it seems much worse or is it just that im not using valium and the true horror is revealed. Please can anyone offer me any hope not sure I can keep doing this. Many thanks  

Hi, @[ma...], and welcome to BenzoBuddies! So really sorry for your struggling. Can truly understand what you're going through. 

I think all the medications you had taken and quit had their input in your condition as well as their frequent changing over the last years. And i'm sure being off valium makes everything way worse. Even if you didn't take benzo everyday, it can be highly revengeful when it coms to stopping its use. I also believe it can hardly be the true horror revealed because there are so many similar stories concerning coming off psychotropic medications. What most torturous symptoms do you have?

The good news is the situation is manageable and you should feel better in the end but it might be a very hard path taking time and strength while getting through.

Hope other members will share their opinion and experience soon too. 

We're glad you've found us. Good luck!)

• Like 2

[ma...]

Hi thanks for responding. Symptoms are severe anxiety depression horrific body sensations muscle spasms easily startled dp dpdr cant cry whilst on meds all I did was cry. No joy just feel such a fool for not realising whilst trying all different meds that they weren't working. Enter the diazepam I'm also struggling with noone believing me that im in withdrawal lonely place to be. Many thanks 😊 

[ma...]

Kate do you think its likely that I am getting withdrawal from the benzo use. Just so desperate as I've been trying to get well for 4 years n never thought the drugs would cause this hell coming off them hence why I went ct! Stupid I am!!  

[je...]

Hi @[ma...]

I’m so sorry for everything you’re going through. Although we’re not medical professionals and we don’t know exactly what is causing your symptoms, it does sound like you’re experiencing benzo withdrawal as well. Usually a clear indication is the muscle spasms because benzo’s are powerful muscle relaxants. 

The good news is that generally over time most people recover from these symptoms. It might just take a while before you notice an improvement. And you’re not stupid, most of us ended up here because we had no idea what these meds could do to us. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

[ma...]

Awe many thanks. I am stupid as I continued to try different ads in the hope that they would fix me as they had worked for 14 years. Enter diazepam to mitigate the awful side effects! I just hope that it eases a bit as this is a hellish existence! I hope you are doing well 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, [[m...] said:

Kate do you think its likely that I am getting withdrawal from the benzo use. Just so desperate as I've been trying to get well for 4 years n never thought the drugs would cause this hell coming off them hence why I went ct! Stupid I am!!  

Yes, i'm pretty sure you're through benzo withdrawal as well as withdrawals and consequences of other medications. As far as i know, benzo's usually feels the worst and might be the longest.

I hope you won't get scared because it may explain all your suffering and, actually, such a state has a positive tendency towards recovery over time. For me, this knowledge was really helpful when i found myself in a similar situation, after trying to fix my poor condition with different ads and benzos, although, as it turned out, i had been suffering from benzo tolerance. You see, @[ma...], i was the same stupid but, at least, i'm healing. You will too!

• Like 1

[ma...]

Awe thanks Kate! That truly helps i just need some patience and lots of time I suppose. Such a very difficult journey. Any wee thing sets my fear response off! It goes off all the time actually without any stimuli! Is the dark depression also part of withdrawal. Thanks again! I'm happy to hear you're healing  

• Like 1

[Al...]
9 hours ago, [[m...] said:

5 hours ago, [[m...] said:

Hi thanks for responding. Symptoms are severe anxiety depression horrific body sensations muscle spasms easily startled dp dpdr cant cry whilst on meds all I did was cry. No joy just feel such a fool for not realising whilst trying all different meds that they weren't working. Enter the diazepam I'm also struggling with noone believing me that im in withdrawal lonely place to be. Many thanks 😊 

First of all, welcome!  Ya that is rough when ppl do not believe that you are in w/d it is something that people simply do not understand until they have gone through it themselves.  What dose where you at when you stopped taking the Valium, out of curiosity?

[ma...]

Hello it varied as I didn't use it everyday it depended on how bad I felt but it was always between 5 n 10mg. Yeah rubbish that ppl think you're talking shit when you try explaining what's going on so that makes me doubt myself! Thanks for getting back to me 

[ma...]

Meant to add 6 weeks from valium and 4 nvhalf months from ads after 18years 

[vo...]
On 01/08/2024 at 17:44, [[m...] said:

Awe thanks Kate! That truly helps i just need some patience and lots of time I suppose. Such a very difficult journey. Any wee thing sets my fear response off! It goes off all the time actually without any stimuli! Is the dark depression also part of withdrawal. Thanks again! I'm happy to hear you're healing  

Does it seem like things like fear and depression are magnified because of this @[ma...]? That's how I feel about these types of things for myself so I'm trying to ride them out as best I can.

[ma...]

Yes just don't see any way out no hope n terrified of everything even watching TV is overestimulating me! Thanks what do you do please 

[Ja...]

You’ve had a bit of a double whammy there Mary,.anti ds can take a good while for your head to feel normal 

I was on anti ds over 20 years to,The feeling of the anti d withdrawals are probably worse on your benzo withdrawal or vice versa

It sounds like the mental side your suffering definitely mirrors benzo withdrawals,it’s absolutely horrible I know how you feel pal

Can someone pls answer me im really struggling 😔 I'm trying to push through everything but its so so difficult 

• Like 1

On 10/08/2024 at 01:21, [[m...] said:

Many thanks how the hell do I get through this. 

Just let time do it's thing.. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

Just let time do it's thing.. 

@[PE...] Good advice - truly, there is no other way than time.

• Like 1

Thanks I wish to god I'd never taken them the ads or the valium. How are you doing? I'm only 6 weeks off valium ct am I still in acute stage please 

5 hours ago, [[m...] said:

Thanks I wish to god I'd never taken them the ads or the valium. How are you doing? I'm only 6 weeks off valium ct am I still in acute stage please 

Just take it one day at a time, otherwise it could overwhelm you if it doesn't happen as fast as you'd like. I didn't peak with acute until my 13th month, but everybody is different so don't go by however long it took me or anyone else. The more positive you are about this, the less your symptoms will take you down. :balloon: