Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

anybody use mirtazapine orodispersable to taper?

[jo...]

Anyone. Thoughts and experiences on using it to taper maybe 1mg at a time. I was told to dissolve in water and use a syringe to dose. Is this an accurate way of tapering?

Edited by [jo...]

[Ja...]

Hi bud,.how’s your taper going jonwil,.I’ve not been in for a while,I see a couple folk have made the jump since,.really good to see

[jo...]

Alright mate! I fell into the AD thing and had bad start up effects. Tapering it now. Jumped from 15mg to (7.5 Mirt) and felt it pretty hard. Probably gonna go slower for a bit. Good to see you back. If you decide on an AD go slow and low. I went up to fast I think. The thing is it helped with the depression but replaced it with some horrible start up stuff. Bad agitation days etc.

[Ja...]

Yea I mind when you started it,.yea I’m very reluctant to add anything,.even a coffee really overestimulates big time

[Bo...]

Are you already using these? If not changing tablets can cause a lot of issues if you’ve been on different brand…. 
but if you started on ODT then you’ll need to use water and maple syrup- the Facebook group can tell you exactly how to do this as they have step by step guide and most of the group uses this way to taper off. Maybe someone here will chime in but you're better off getting the Facebook group to advise since that’s their group, all mirtazapine and they are like a benzo buddies but for mirt.

the maple syrup is critical so it creates a suspension. But changing over tablets if you’re not already on ODT can bring on symptoms worse bc you’re changing manufacturer so ingredients are different.

if you’re still thinking of getting off quickly and not on ODTs I believe you can still use water and maple syrup but the mirt group would be best to ask every question to. They have worked hand in hand with mark Horowitz to develop the Maudsley Deprescriving Manual so they are very knowledgable.

@[Li...] can probably attest to this.

[jo...]
9 minutes ago, [[J...] said:

Yea I mind when you started it,.yea I’m very reluctant to add anything,.even a coffee really overestimulates big time

Yeah be careful you cant really predict this stuff.

[jo...]
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, [[B...] said:

Are you already using these? If not changing tablets can cause a lot of issues if you’ve been on different brand…. 
but if you started on ODT then you’ll need to use water and maple syrup- the Facebook group can tell you exactly how to do this as they have step by step guide and most of the group uses this way to taper off. Maybe someone here will chime in but you're better off getting the Facebook group to advise since that’s their group, all mirtazapine and they are like a benzo buddies but for mirt.

the maple syrup is critical so it creates a suspension. But changing over tablets if you’re not already on ODT can bring on symptoms worse bc you’re changing manufacturer so ingredients are different.

if you’re still thinking of getting off quickly and not on ODTs I believe you can still use water and maple syrup but the mirt group would be best to ask every question to. They have worked hand in hand with mark Horowitz to develop the Maudsley Deprescriving Manual so they are very knowledgable.

Whats ODT? I'm not on facebook either. Thanks!

Edited by [jo...]

[jo...]
4 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

Whats ODT? I'm not on facebook either. Thanks!

Oh sorry, oro dispersable.(y)

[jo...]
10 minutes ago, [[B...] said:

I am not using them. Just the standart coated pill.

[jo...]

Thats dissapointing if I cant use them. Is there any other way?

[Bo...]

Yes let me ask the group , I use my brothers Facebook acct for these groups bc I don’t have fb either.

• Like 1

[Bo...]

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?id=324433844869045&story_fbid=674126566566436

I can’t send pics of how to do it as they won’t upload…. Can a friend or fam member join for you? Here is the instructions how to make and you can used ODT or regular tablets actually. 
it doesn’t let me press copy of any of the instructions so best if someone you know can login or if this link opens up but you have to be a member so might block it.

[Bo...]

Crush up 2x 15mg pills into fine powder.

Measure 15mL water and 15mL maple syrup

Pour powder into water first and shake it up a lot, then pour in maple syrup and shake vigorously.

1mL liquid = 1mg mirt

Every time you dose this is importsnt you have to shake mixture well bc this is a suspension not a solution so need shaken so particles are evenly distributed.

Draw up in syringe what you need. This batch is good for four days max and needs to be refrigerated.

for lower doses can use 1 x 15mg pill and 7.5mL water and 7.5mL maple syrup.

here are Uk syringes -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sterile-Rays-20ml-Eccentric-Syringe/dp/B0778RF9B1?fbclid=IwY2xjawEXpHhleHRuA2FlbQIxMQABHUvAKXKc2KKmpfESCvtJcEWVVilltg0HvcQP14VKbRBAOtiu4oPtRGu7bQ_aem_p3ZisYWW6RwxSsbSiY8WGg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rays-Syringe-Sterile-Latex-Free/dp/B076KD6V4Z?fbclid=IwY2xjawEXpJZleHRuA2FlbQIxMQABHTgtIynz6ORbeLJ60OHXOb8TS2WPfeBE3GSMdqkPucs7zHi4yBnflfBBXw_aem_-6172483DaI_0Q3RVwjlOQ

beaker-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06WD1JRLC/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_hEsNFb7CA854A?fbclid=IwY2xjawEXpLtleHRuA2FlbQIxMQABHQXcRDFDH3XUMPCMxyQafBHBT2YrSH3ofUlwvEcvKh0_OIb0Txy4l2fqwQ_aem_SIsp6zrnUaqNbxu4icQkgw

some extra guidance from mod in group-

Here are some techniques I use for mixing liquid mirtazipine.  Hope you find some of these helpful. For beginners this might seem like a complicated process but once you’ve done it several times it’s pretty quick.

1)I buy disposable scientific syringes in bulk (from Amazon) so that I’m using the same type of syringes all the time. 

2) using a fine tip permanent marker and a piece of clear tape folded over itself as a straight edge,I mark my syringes at the required locations (e.g I mark a 10ml syringe at 7.5ml for water/syrup). I then place some clear tape over the markings to prevent them from being wiped away.

3) I like to use small  60ml Tupperware containers for measuring water, syrup and mixing. They have a lid (photo).

4) When you first put your syringe in water, you will draw up a lot of air bubbles. You can tip it upside down to expel the air, but I prefer to just lift and depress the plunger several times while under water, to expel the air. Normally you wouldn’t do this with medicine because it introduces slight contamination, but since I’m using clean water and reusing my syringes it’s not an issue for me.

5) When measuring out water, syrup and my dose, it can be hard to see the lines especially when using dark syrup. I turn on the flashlight on my cell phone and put the phone down on the counter. I hold the syringe tilted towards the flashlight so that the light shines through the syringe, like a backlight as I measure. This helps to see exactly where the rubber plunger is in relation to the lines on the syringe through the dark solution.
Note that the syringe is meant to be read looking at it straight on (at 90 degrees). If you look at the syringe from above, then you may find that you get a slightly different measurement.  I try to make all of my measurements exactly the same way, for accuracy.

6) After my tablet dissolves in the water, I add the syrup, close the lid and shake vigorously.

7) I like to squirt the dose directly into my mouth, but not too fast! I discovered that if you aren’t careful it can bounce back off your tongue and you might lose some liquid.

8)After dosing I rinse my syringes and containers thoroughly with clean water and set them aside to dry for tomorrow. 

9) I re-use my syringes for about 2 months (2 drops in dose) before I need to replace

Edited by [Bo...]
  • Like 1

[Bo...]

And it’s not something the mirt group wants people to do bc they worry about variability but some people shave and weigh and use an easy scale off Amazon ….many have successfully dry tapered shaving off and taking 5-10% off current gram weight dose as they drop down. (Only weighs in gram) typically recommmended hold dose for 30 days each drop but if you’re getting off quickly then that won’t factor it, only if you need to do a longer taper. Mirt has a long half life and for some reason takes a weird two steps of feeling cuts for most people, right around 3-4wks being the second hit so they recommend holding min 30 days between cuts. I’m doing a micro taper bc I have had such severe issues and couldn’t tolerate a cut and hold but that also was my odds with Klonopin too- I needed the micro taper option. I’m averaging 5% drop over a month for mirt which stinks but this med is very potent and 4 anti depressants in one bc it acts on 32 receptors so it’s hard stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Weigh-GEM20-Precision-Milligram/dp/B00ESHDGOI/ref=asc_df_B00ESHDGOI/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=693308330863&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14243816799885925507&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027582&hvtargid=pla-304071963067&psc=1&mcid=e85e7b6bf03c3b9baaed06b3cce1003d&gad_source=1

• Like 1

[jo...]
19 minutes ago, [[B...] said:

Crush up 2x 15mg pills into fine powder.

Measure 15mL water and 15mL maple syrup

Pour powder into water first and shake it up a lot, then pour in maple syrup and shake vigorously.

1mL liquid = 1mg mirt

Every time you dose this is importsnt you have to shake mixture well bc this is a suspension not a solution so need shaken so particles are evenly distributed.

Draw up in syringe what you need. This batch is good for four days max and needs to be refrigerated.

for lower doses can use 1 x 15mg pill and 7.5mL water and 7.5mL maple syrup.

here are Uk syringes -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sterile-Rays-20ml-Eccentric-Syringe/dp/B0778RF9B1?fbclid=IwY2xjawEXpHhleHRuA2FlbQIxMQABHUvAKXKc2KKmpfESCvtJcEWVVilltg0HvcQP14VKbRBAOtiu4oPtRGu7bQ_aem_p3ZisYWW6RwxSsbSiY8WGg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rays-Syringe-Sterile-Latex-Free/dp/B076KD6V4Z?fbclid=IwY2xjawEXpJZleHRuA2FlbQIxMQABHTgtIynz6ORbeLJ60OHXOb8TS2WPfeBE3GSMdqkPucs7zHi4yBnflfBBXw_aem_-6172483DaI_0Q3RVwjlOQ

beaker-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06WD1JRLC/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_hEsNFb7CA854A?fbclid=IwY2xjawEXpLtleHRuA2FlbQIxMQABHQXcRDFDH3XUMPCMxyQafBHBT2YrSH3ofUlwvEcvKh0_OIb0Txy4l2fqwQ_aem_SIsp6zrnUaqNbxu4icQkgw

some extra guidance from mod in group-

Here are some techniques I use for mixing liquid mirtazipine.  Hope you find some of these helpful. For beginners this might seem like a complicated process but once you’ve done it several times it’s pretty quick.

1)I buy disposable scientific syringes in bulk (from Amazon) so that I’m using the same type of syringes all the time. 

2) using a fine tip permanent marker and a piece of clear tape folded over itself as a straight edge,I mark my syringes at the required locations (e.g I mark a 10ml syringe at 7.5ml for water/syrup). I then place some clear tape over the markings to prevent them from being wiped away.

3) I like to use small  60ml Tupperware containers for measuring water, syrup and mixing. They have a lid (photo).

4) When you first put your syringe in water, you will draw up a lot of air bubbles. You can tip it upside down to expel the air, but I prefer to just lift and depress the plunger several times while under water, to expel the air. Normally you wouldn’t do this with medicine because it introduces slight contamination, but since I’m using clean water and reusing my syringes it’s not an issue for me.

5) When measuring out water, syrup and my dose, it can be hard to see the lines especially when using dark syrup. I turn on the flashlight on my cell phone and put the phone down on the counter. I hold the syringe tilted towards the flashlight so that the light shines through the syringe, like a backlight as I measure. This helps to see exactly where the rubber plunger is in relation to the lines on the syringe through the dark solution.
Note that the syringe is meant to be read looking at it straight on (at 90 degrees). If you look at the syringe from above, then you may find that you get a slightly different measurement.  I try to make all of my measurements exactly the same way, for accuracy.

6) After my tablet dissolves in the water, I add the syrup, close the lid and shake vigorously.

7) I like to squirt the dose directly into my mouth, but not too fast! I discovered that if you aren’t careful it can bounce back off your tongue and you might lose some liquid.

8)After dosing I rinse my syringes and containers thoroughly with clean water and set them aside to dry for tomorrow. 

9) I re-use my syringes for about 2 months (2 drops in dose) before I need to replace

Wow. That is a lot of work!

[jo...]
12 minutes ago, [[B...] said:

And it’s not something the mirt group wants people to do bc they worry about variability but some people shave and weigh and use an easy scale off Amazon ….many have successfully dry tapered shaving off and taking 5-10% off current gram weight dose as they drop down. (Only weighs in gram) typically recommmended hold dose for 30 days each drop but if you’re getting off quickly then that won’t factor it, only if you need to do a longer taper. Mirt has a long half life and for some reason takes a weird two steps of feeling cuts for most people, right around 3-4wks being the second hit so they recommend holding min 30 days between cuts. I’m doing a micro taper bc I have had such severe issues and couldn’t tolerate a cut and hold but that also was my odds with Klonopin too- I needed the micro taper option. I’m averaging 5% drop over a month for mirt which stinks but this med is very potent and 4 anti depressants in one bc it acts on 32 receptors so it’s hard stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Weigh-GEM20-Precision-Milligram/dp/B00ESHDGOI/ref=asc_df_B00ESHDGOI/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=693308330863&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14243816799885925507&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027582&hvtargid=pla-304071963067&psc=1&mcid=e85e7b6bf03c3b9baaed06b3cce1003d&gad_source=1

What do you think my best bet is then to taper given how long I been on?

[jo...]
21 minutes ago, [[B...] said:

And thanks for all the information!

[Bo...]

You have to kind of see for yourself what you want to try… what you feel would be easier for you to manage. But def don’t change manufacturers at this point bc that can rock the boat if you’re going to attempt to come off fairly quickly.

if you end up doing a slow taper, you can transition over to a compound liquid which is what I use from pharmacist /chemist and I believe the UK has a compound liquid called Rosemount but this is listed out in the mirt group. Then all you have to do is use syringe to get the amount you need each night and that’s it. But it can be rocky transitioning over, it’s just what comes with any time switching manufacturers with any of these psychotropic meds.

Wishiny you the best !

• Like 1

[Ro...]

I took 7.5 mg of Mirt for 2 years and tapered off it using the dry cut method at a rate of 10% per reduction.  Before each reduction, I held for 10 days.  I used a metal nail file to shave the tablet.

Not saying you have to do it like I did, but it is an option.  I had zero symptoms during or post taper.

• Like 1

[jo...]
On 01/08/2024 at 02:56, [[R...] said:

I took 7.5 mg of Mirt for 2 years and tapered off it using the dry cut method at a rate of 10% per reduction.  Before each reduction, I held for 10 days.  I used a metal nail file to shave the tablet.

Not saying you have to do it like I did, but it is an option.  I had zero symptoms during or post taper.

How do you know when you've got ten percent off the pill? Just by looking?

[Ro...]

I use a Gemini gram scale (about $30 US) to weigh the tablet after having shaved off 10% of the pill's current weight.

13 hours ago, [[j...] said:

How do you know when you've got ten percent off the pill? Just by looking?