Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Anyone else get woken up by heart races?

[Ma...]

Hey, does anyone else get awoken by heart races? Got awoken a 3am - my bpm went up to 144bpm, took about 5 minutes to slow down, was quite scary.

[Cr...]

Many members report being awakened with panic attacks or severe anxiety symptoms (shortness of breath, rapid heart rate). It happens quite a lot. Your body may be pumping you full of adrenaline while you sleep causing you to wake-up feeling like you are in the middle of a marathon. You may also experience the opposite during the day where it feels like your body has literally crashed in regards to energy,  causing extreme fatigue. Withdrawal can mess with hormone balances in addition to disrupting the normal flow of neurotransmitters.

If what you experienced is just withdrawal/anxiety, then you need not worry about it signifying harm. If you need definitive reassurance that this is just withdrawal then you may benefit from asking your doctor to run tests to rule anything else out.

[Ma...]
37 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

Many members report being awakened with panic attacks or severe anxiety symptoms (shortness of breath, rapid heart rate). It happens quite a lot. Your body may be pumping you full of adrenaline while you sleep causing you to wake-up feeling like you are in the middle of a marathon. You may also experience the opposite during the day where it feels like your body has literally crashed in regards to energy,  causing extreme fatigue. Withdrawal can mess with hormone balances in addition to disrupting the normal flow of neurotransmitters.

If what you experienced is just withdrawal/anxiety, then you need not worry about it signifying harm. If you need definitive reassurance that this is just withdrawal then you may benefit from asking your doctor to run tests to rule anything else out.

Thanks Chrono, much appreciated. I have an appointment with a cardiologist on the 9th of August. Cheers.

[Ma...]

Jeez this sucks, as I’m in a mental health rehab centre, the nurse gave me a 2.5mg Valium, wasn’t keen on it but I had to do something, the anxiety was getting out of control.

[Cr...]

Yes it does suck, but at under 3 weeks off these symptoms are certainly not unusual. You need only pass time to allow your system to heal itself. 

The way you feel now, although horrible, is not permanent. If you want to truly recover you will have to resist the temptation to use rescue doses. It can easily become a crutch that is far too difficult to let go of when you know it is there.

[Ma...]
44 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

Yes it does suck, but at under 3 weeks off these symptoms are certainly not unusual. You need only pass time to allow your system to heal itself. 

The way you feel now, although horrible, is not permanent. If you want to truly recover you will have to resist the temptation to use rescue doses. It can easily become a crutch that is far too difficult to let go of when you know it is there.

Thanks Chrono, I should write down that I survived 15 days before it got too much so I have a better idea of *maybe* what to expect next time. 

What is so hard about this, is that I only took a pissy little 2.5mg Valium, yet I really feel a difference. Reduction in anxiety and about an 30 percent  reduction in all the other stuff (like the weird feelings of dread and unreality) I feel that Valium feeling in my head of minor euphoria and that now there’s hope for the future. How could a tiny dose do this?

[Cr...]
26 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

How could a tiny dose do this?

Normally if you were still on the Valium it wouldn't. But when you are into post-benzo acute withdrawal, your body is more likely to give you relief upon using even small doses. When suffering horribly, any relief gotten can feel euphoric.

[Bu...]
12 hours ago, [[M...] said:

Hey, does anyone else get awoken by heart races? Got awoken a 3am - my bpm went up to 144bpm, took about 5 minutes to slow down, was quite scary.

This used to happen to me from covid, before I took benzos

try very gentle breathing exercises - focus on breathing through the nose and gently expanding upper tummy area as you breathe in

and counting until it’s over

if it keeps happening/is prolonged may be worth trying to get an ecg from your health provider. I did - was normal of course 

• Like 1