Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Can I take Valium again?

[do...]

I stopped diazepam after years of daily use.  I never want to touch it again.  I also stopped pain meds at the same time.  Withdrawal was terrible, now it’s fine.  I knew the day would come when I’d be prescribed these things again.  I’m supposed to have a procedure that involves a deep incision and I can’t be under anesthesia for medical reasons.  So the doc gave me a script for pain meds and Valium to sedate me without anesthesia.  I told him I didn’t want to take them.  He said that’s fine.  I’m getting a little nervous about having surgery awake with nothing but lidocaine.  I don’t know what will happen if I take it but I don’t really want to find out.  I’ll have other procedures in the future so it will come up again and I wont always be able to decline it.  I am pretty sure I can do it without meds.  Has anyone had to take a benzo or pain med after withdrawal?

Edited by [do...]

[do...]

And fyi I didn’t ask my doctor bc these were prescribed for a medical need but I was physically dependent.  I stopped without supervision and didn’t tell anyone other than to delete them once I stopped.  I don’t want anyone documenting drug dependence bc I don’t want to be treated like I’m drug seeking if I need medical attention for pain.  It’s been 4 months since my last dose of either medication.  

[do...]

Thank you! Yeah I can’t get cardiac clearance to get something like propofol or other higher risk anesthesia.  Even nitris oxide isn’t a great idea.  So benzos are preferred.  I think I can decline being sedated this time, but not forever.  Has anyone had this come up?   

[PE...]

I think once is ok but a whole script? Why not just take it when you are on the operation table? 

I did take a zopiclone once when in hospital. 

Edited by [PE...]
  • Like 1

[do...]

Thank you!  I guess I don’t know if withdrawal symptoms will start again.  That’s the only reason I don’t want to.  You did fine in the hospital?  I think if I got pain meds or benzos inpatient it would be ok, but maybe not sent home with them after a dose.  I do still have 2 big bottles of oxy and diazepam and I’ve never touched them.  I think I needed to remember I don’t take them bc I choose not to.  I also needed some sense of safety knowing if pain / muscle contractions got too bad I could treat it.  I know that’s not how everyone would go through this process but it worked for me.  I’m just worried I can’t trust myself if  that addiction got triggered 

[PE...]
45 minutes ago, [[d...] said:

Thank you!  I guess I don’t know if withdrawal symptoms will start again.  That’s the only reason I don’t want to.  You did fine in the hospital?  I think if I got pain meds or benzos inpatient it would be ok, but maybe not sent home with them after a dose.  I do still have 2 big bottles of oxy and diazepam and I’ve never touched them.  I think I needed to remember I don’t take them bc I choose not to.  I also needed some sense of safety knowing if pain / muscle contractions got too bad I could treat it.  I know that’s not how everyone would go through this process but it worked for me.  I’m just worried I can’t trust myself if  that addiction got triggered 

I was fine. 

I never could have stopped taking it while having the stuff at home..

Ok so you had a opiate addiction?