Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Magnesium while tapering: friend or foe?

[he...]

I am on the fence if I use magnesium during my taper to deal with anxiety, fatigue (physical and mental) and to avoid neurotoxicity.

In that page of supplements to avoid that is now linked to the Benzo Diazepine Information Coalition, there is magnesium on the list, stating that it could bind to the GABA receptors and maybe due to that possibly hinder recovery. But I know this list is controversial.

There is a British naturopath that I guess is called Pat Smith (sorry the benzos mimicking symptoms of motor CFS makes me sometimes bad for a time when using screens currently) on YouTube and he speaks about the importance of the mineral due to its influence on multiple systems.

Also, I've read something about magnesium influencing the NMDA receptor and due to that helping to avoid excitotoxicity. But if in fact it binds to the GABA receptors then I wonder about the impact on healing. Also, if this somehow doesn't cause an updose due to interactions.

I am considering magnesium citrate because it's said to be more gentle on the stomach compared to some other forms. I am avoiding magnesium glycinate because it seems (I guess) that glycine can be converted to glutamate.

Anyway, what are your views and experiences about using magnesium while tapering?

TIA.

[Ma...]

You won’t know unless you try-seriously. Many cannot tolerate it, like chamomile tea, others can. 🤷‍♀️