Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Extremely dry mouth and throat, choking on water

[id...]

I've never experienced this level of dry mouth before. It's so dry that I loose feeling in it. Also, mucus is so sick and I think my throat/mouth muscles are so tight and weak that I'm struggling to drink liquids. Chocking on water. Swallowing is very hard.

Anybody can relate?

• Like 1

[Pa...]

I've read members talk about this symptom, that choking feeling sounds really scary and I'm sure the more you fear, the worse you feel!  

I was just reading your progress log, can we talk about your car accident and your head injury?

[An...]

Hi I'm  sorry that you are so bothered by this inconvenience.
I do recognize this.
I couldn't eat properly for weeks due to having such a dry mouth and throat. Have been eating a lot of liquid food.
I use the products from Australian Bodycare. There is tea tree oil in there which helped me a lot. I can now swallow normally again. I have the toothpaste, the gel and the mouthwash.
I hope this will help. 
Sorry for my English

[id...]
28 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

I've read members talk about this symptom, that choking feeling sounds really scary and I'm sure the more you fear, the worse you feel!  

I was just reading your progress log, can we talk about your car accident and your head injury?

Yes, sure!

I was in a car accident five and a half weeks ago. I had a blow to my face, still have painful scars on my lips. My finger is still broken. My back is still sore. I had headaches for the first week or so but those went away. I did have anxiety and even panic attacks while driving afterwards but I was still functional and recovering well.

So there could be both psychological and physiological components of my current state (I need to get an MRI to check if there were any after-effects from the accident). But they definitely didn't manifest right away. It was a month after the accident when I suddenly had an all-night-long tremors, panic and tachycardia, went to the ER, started having a plethora of neurological symptoms, insomnia, terror, etc. It was a drastic change.

[id...]
33 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

Hi I'm  sorry that you are so bothered by this inconvenience.
I do recognize this.
I couldn't eat properly for weeks due to having such a dry mouth and throat. Have been eating a lot of liquid food.
I use the products from Australian Bodycare. There is tea tree oil in there which helped me a lot. I can now swallow normally again. I have the toothpaste, the gel and the mouthwash.
I hope this will help. 
Sorry for my English

Thank you for your encouragement! I actually struggle even with liquids because they kind of slide on that thick mucus and sometimes get into my windpipe, if that makes sense.

Your English is great! English is not my first language either, so I sympathize with you.

[An...]

Thank you @[id...] for your encouraging words. Perhaps by sniffing some salt water you can thin the mucus which may reduce or eliminate this discomfort. 
I have a lung disease and when I have thick and tough mucus I use Physiomer nasal shower. Anything to dissolve the mucus. Maybe after that you can treat dry mouth and throat. Dry mouth/throat is typically a withdrawal symptom.
I wish you all the best

[id...]
1 minute ago, [[A...] said:

Thank you @[id...] for your encouraging words. Perhaps by sniffing some salt water you can thin the mucus which may reduce or eliminate this discomfort. 
I have a lung disease and when I have thick and tough mucus I use Physiomer nasal shower. Anything to dissolve the mucus. Maybe after that you can treat dry mouth and throat. Dry mouth/throat is typically a withdrawal symptom.
I wish you all the best

That's great advice. I'll try that. Thank you!

• Love 1

[Pa...]
1 hour ago, [[i...] said:

Yes, sure!

I was in a car accident five and a half weeks ago. I had a blow to my face, still have painful scars on my lips. My finger is still broken. My back is still sore. I had headaches for the first week or so but those went away. I did have anxiety and even panic attacks while driving afterwards but I was still functional and recovering well.

So there could be both psychological and physiological components of my current state (I need to get an MRI to check if there were any after-effects from the accident). But they definitely didn't manifest right away. It was a month after the accident when I suddenly had an all-night-long tremors, panic and tachycardia, went to the ER, started having a plethora of neurological symptoms, insomnia, terror, etc. It was a drastic change.

I'm so sorry to hear what happened and I think you may be right, I believe everything you've gone through has destabilized you.  I know that doesn't help what you're feeling but finding a possible cause rather than trying to accept the random nature of this process makes me feel better.  We hear about delays of the mind and body processing trauma and with your central nervous system may not have fully recovered and now, according to your progress log, you have lots of tests coming up adding to your stress.  It looks like a perfect storm, I'm sorry. 

[vo...]

@[id...] I didn't think my dry mouth and thick mucous in my throat was caused by withdrawal, but now I'm beginning to believe it is, based on your symptoms and what @[An...] said. My dry mouth happens mostly at night. I use Biotene for that. During the day, I tend to have an excess of saliva. Not sure why a drastic difference between daytime and nighttime.

I also have the thick mucous which seems to be "sitting" in the base of the back of my throat that is difficult to clear. Also, a lot of sinus congestion and pressure in the sinuses that comes and goes. The only thing that seems to help the mucous and congestion is taking a decongestant. I'd be interested to hear from you or @[An...] if you're experiencing any of the things I mentioned that are different than what you previously mentioned. AND, I'm interested to know how the tea tree helps...

[An...]

@[vo...] Since I have been tapering off I've been problems with dry throat, dry sinuses, dry cough, dry eyes. Everything is dry. The hole day. I have never had an excess of saliva. Unfortunately I would almost say although I don't know if this is problematic again. I couldn't eat properly for months because of dry throat/mouth. Couldn't swallow properly. During the years of clonazepam use and subsequent tolerance, I went to the doctor so many times for the mucus/clot feeling. They could never find anything
I think in addition to the mucus in the throat, the familiar globus feeling also plays a role and tightened throat and neck muscles. I am sure this is a withdrawal symptom yes.
Tea tree oil items is more for dry mouth and pain in gums etc.  Fortunately, it got me eating well again. In Europe we have Physiomer for the sinuses which also makes the mucus softer and more fluid.

I know Biotene but i haven't used it. 

• Like 1

[vo...]
42 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

@[vo...] Since I have been tapering off I've been problems with dry throat, dry sinuses, dry cough, dry eyes. Everything is dry. The hole day. I have never had an excess of saliva. Unfortunately I would almost say although I don't know if this is problematic again. I couldn't eat properly for months because of dry throat/mouth. Couldn't swallow properly. During the years of clonazepam use and subsequent tolerance, I went to the doctor so many times for the mucus/clot feeling. They could never find anything
I think in addition to the mucus in the throat, the familiar globus feeling also plays a role and tightened throat and neck muscles. I am sure this is a withdrawal symptom yes.
Tea tree oil items is more for dry mouth and pain in gums etc.  Fortunately, it got me eating well again. In Europe we have Physiomer for the sinuses which also makes the mucus softer and more fluid.

I know Biotene but i haven't used it. 

Thank you @[An...]. You explaining everything about the dryness is aligned to what I have been dealing with, but haven't really discussed much in this group. I even felt like I had something in my throat too and wasn't sure what it was, but since it comes and goes I wasn't extremely concerned. I'm not sure why I sometimes have the excess saliva, but I'm going to assume that too, is related to withdrawal and my sinuses going awry. Again, thanks much for your explanation.

• Like 1