Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Tapering off Xanax onto Valium 3rd week is kicking my a** a bit

[ri...]

I'm in my third week of tapering off of Xanax (alaprozolom) onto Valium with help of Neuro Psych. She said she's using the ashton method. I was on .5 xanax twice a day for like 14 years. Edited to add: I told her about the Ashton Method and now the whole practice is using it

I'm in week 3 of a taper from xanax to valium very slowly mind you. I was doing great week one and two. Feeling really good, better actually I have Ankylosing Spondylitis (spinal arthritis & Fibromyalgia) and I was able to do more and my mind was so calm that it kind of freaked me out actually.

But yikes...all of a sudden (2.5 weeks in) my muscles hurt, I'm having low key anxiety, a tad of gastro issues and I don't want to leave the house or move my body ie...depression. It's like anxiety and beginning of having the flu all at once

Any advice would be great, I know everyone is different. I kind of thought it would eventually kick my ass.

I cut and pasted the taper schedule below (I just started week 3 yesterday).

Week 1 - Take 0.5 mg alprazolam and 5 mg diazepam in AM and 0.5 mg alprazolam and 5 mg diazepam in PM

Week 2 - Take 0.25 mg alprazolam and 10 mg diazepam in AM, and 0.5 mg alprazolam and 5 mg diazepam in PM

Week 3 - Take 0.25 mg alprazolam and 10 mg diazepam in AM, and 0.25 mg alprazolam and 10 mg diazepam in PM

Week 4 - Stop AM alprazolam, continue 10 mg diazepam in AM, and take 0.25 mg alprazolam and 10 mg diazepam in PM

Week 5 - Continue 10 mg diazepam in AM, stop PM alprazolam, and continue diazepam 10 mg in PM

Week 6+ - continue 10 mg diazepam twice daily, will reassess from there at next visit The diazepam will cushion the alprazolam withdrawal side effects, I think you will do great! I am sending in the prescriptions right now for you.

Edited by [ri...]
  • Like 1

[pi...]

Hello @[ri...],

Welcome to Benzo Buddies! 

Sometimes, no matter what plan is used,  withdrawal symptoms show up. They can be difficult to deal with. Everything you describe is very common for withdrawal. Having what I call ‘benzo flu’ was one of my symptoms. 

I am going to move this thread to the taper board, you will receive more feedback about your crossover to Valium. It sounds like you have a pretty good support with the neuro psych, it nice to see someone in the profession have knowledge of the Ashton method.

I’m glad you’ve joined the forum, there is very good information and excellent support from those who understand this process. We’re here to help.

• Like 1

[Pa...]

Hi @[ri...], Professor Ashtons equivalencies are on the high side so it looks like you actually updosed in week one and continued that in weeks two and three, I'm not surprised you felt better.  What I suspect now is your body is trying to get used to the Valium, and its not happy.  The depression is normal but I'm told by other members that this should leave as you acclimate.  As for the flu like feelings and the other miserable symptoms you mention, they sound like standard withdrawal symptoms and really, you are withdrawing.  Even if you're substituting another benzodiazepine, you're still withdrawing the Xanax. 

Another thing to consider is the how long it takes Valium to build up in our system, the Xanax pretty much leaves instantly but the Valium takes days and weeks to build so this could also account for your discomfort. 

• Like 1

[Os...]

It will get better in time. Your body is adapting from a short acting to a long acting benzo, and it will be hard. Sometimes telling myself “these are temporary symptoms and not a condition or a disease” really helps, especially with the GI symptoms. 
Hang in there. You’re going to make it. 

• Like 1

[Os...]

I just reread your post. It’s so wonderful that you have a neuro psych who even knows what the Ashton manual is. I know you’re suffering, but it will pass, and it sounds like you’re in good care.