Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Is hyperventilation dangerous?

[id...]

I always thought hyperventilation is scary but benign symptom of withdrawal. 

But a while ago I overheard some ladies talking about breath work: when you do shallow breathing to induce altered state of mind. I asked if it was dangerous and one of them claimed that she was a nurse and knows that it's hyperventilation that is dangerous and you can die from it. 

I don't want to Google it as my health anxiety is through the roof now and since I hyperventilate regularly every time it happens I'm afraid she's right and I might die or at least pass out. My oxygen level used to be 95% (I live in the mountains so the air is thinner here) but during my hyperventilation episodes it's always 100% and that nurse lady said it's the lack of CO2 that is dangerous.

Please reassure me hyperventilation is not dangerous.

[PE...]

Oh no it's not.. body would make you pass out if it needed 😊

• Like 1

[vo...]
2 hours ago, [[i...] said:

I always thought hyperventilation is scary but benign symptom of withdrawal. 

But a while ago I overheard some ladies talking about breath work: when you do shallow breathing to induce altered state of mind. I asked if it was dangerous and one of them claimed that she was a nurse and knows that it's hyperventilation that is dangerous and you can die from it. 

I don't want to Google it as my health anxiety is through the roof now and since I hyperventilate regularly every time it happens I'm afraid she's right and I might die or at least pass out. My oxygen level used to be 95% (I live in the mountains so the air is thinner here) but during my hyperventilation episodes it's always 100% and that nurse lady said it's the lack of CO2 that is dangerous.

Please reassure me hyperventilation is not dangerous.

I have never heard of anyone dying of that. You would need to be concerned if your oxygen saturation levels were 88% or lower. You've got really good oxygen levels, especially given that you live in the mountains.

[id...]
1 hour ago, [[P...] said:

Oh no it's not.. body would make you pass out if it needed 😊

Thank you for the reassurance! 

[id...]
37 minutes ago, [[v...] said:

I have never heard of anyone dying of that. You would need to be concerned if your oxygen saturation levels were 88% or lower. You've got really good oxygen levels, especially given that you live in the mountains.

Thank you! Yes, I haven't heard of anyone dying of that either but I didn't want to google because you can find all sorts of freak medical accidents online.

In general it is not dangerous.  If you have history of vascular disease such as coronary artery disease or stroke or are pregnant I would avoid doing it.

[He...]

Pepe is right. Nurse needs to surrender her license. 

body will protect you with hyperventilating.  Just as it does if you try and hold your breath. 

the only danger of death is if you’re near water or standing.