Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Dry Powder Titration technique for use with small doses

[Ho...]

I want to do a slow taper using crushed clonazepam. I need a scale that will accurately measure a tiny reduction in the amount of medicine (in powder form). If I start with a  .5 mg tablet and crush it, I want to reduce by just .2 mg at a time. I am confused by all the scales I see for sale. Someone who has measured very small doses, please help me understand how to get started. I am brand new to this. My dr. recommends reducing by .25 mg at a time, and I think that will be too fast for me. How can I accurately measure for amounts smaller than .25 mg. Also, I do not yet know how much each pill weighs since I have not bought a scale. Feeling overwhelmed about how to get started.

[Pa...]

Hi @[Ho...], hopefully someone with experience will drop by but for now, most members use an inexpensive scale from Amazon for about $30.00 US.  There are all sorts of tricks they use like weighing 10 pills to get the average and we have smart members who can help you with the math.  So, first things first, get that scale ordered because you're right, a .25 mg reduction would probably be painful. 

[An...]

Hi @[Ho...] I'm also tapering off clonazepam 0 5 mg. I bought a small jewelry scale and weigh the pill first. My clonazepam from Teva weighs 0.203 mg
This was my starting position in November 2023.
I did a 5% reduction every two weeks.
0.203 x 95% = 0.193 pillweight
I scoured this off with sandpaper. 

I will make a sample column:
Week 1 and 2 : 0.203 x 95 = 0.193
Week 3 and 4 : 0.193 x 95 = 0.183
Week 5 and 6 : 0.183 x 95 = 0.174
Week 6 and 8 : 0.174 x 95 = 0.165
Week 9 and 10 : 0.165 x 95 = 0.157
Week 11 and 12 : 0.157 x 95 = 0.149
Week 13 and 14 : 0.149 x 95 = 0.141
Week 15 and 16 : 0.141 x 95 = 0.134

I ended up going to 3% every two weeks and sometimes I stay on the same dose a little longer. Depending on the withdrawal symptoms.
This works for me for now. 
Powder seems tricky to me because most scales don't go that low. 
Best wishes and good luck.

• Like 2