Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Time to share my experience

[Te...]

I wish I had heard about this support group sooner. I'm an addict, not many people know this. My wife, family and loved ones are totally obvious to the secret I have been hiding for 16 years.

However, I am pleased to share that I have been clean for 6 years now after taking anything from 800mg-1200mg of temazempan every month. I was a functioning addict. Not sure how, but I held down a job, family commitments and everything in-between but I did.

After becoming clean, only now, am I aware of the dangers of withdraw, I was totally oblivious to this. All I knew is that I needed to stop as it was seriously affecting my health. Over the last 5 years I starter to taper myself down and achieved to be drug free within two years. A couple of relapses, but six years ago, I made a very conscious decision that was it.

However I know live with a lot of internal guilt and shame. I look at family photos and I know that am.a high in 80% of them. The drugs led to poor choices, which I still struggle with, so I am reaching out to see of there are any good talking therapy groups in the UK that are there to support bezo addicts.

I don't want to go back to this life ever, and now feel strong enough to reach out for help. Something I should have been brave Engough to do many many years ago.

Thanks for listening 

• Like 1

[pi...]

Hello @[Te...],

Welcome to Benzo Buddie! You should be very proud of yourself for conquering your addiction and tapering off very high doses of benzos. I imagine it was difficult to hide this from those around you. I also imagine it’s difficult to look back on those years, however, it’s time to look forward to a better and healthier life.

I personally don’t know of support groups in the UK but I’m sure there are some. Have you checked online to see if there are groups like AA? Perhaps our UK members might know of some. Most of our members took benzos as prescribed y their medical providers and became dependent. 

Congratulations on your sobriety. Good for you for looking for ways to stay clean and healthy.

• Like 2

[Al...]
2 hours ago, [[T...] said:

The drugs led to poor choices, which I still struggle with, so I am reaching out to see of there are any good talking therapy groups in the UK that are there to support bezo addicts.

Hi @[Te...] Apparently Postscript runs peer-to-peer support groups in the UK. Just check out the link below.

https://www.postscript360.org.uk/services/therapy-300/#:~:text=360 Clubs – Listening to our clients

[Te...]

Thanks for the sharing this, I will look into this further. Very limited support out there unless you go AA or equivalent 

• Like 1