Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

want to taper , but can't😞

[Mi...]

I would like to taper off Klonopin, but now that I see the stories on how difficult this is going to be I'm saddened I probably won't be able to. My Mother had a stroke and is coming home , with me providing much of her care. She is paralyzed on one side. That itself is giving me more anxiety. I've been taking 2 milligrams for about a year. Before I researched the taper methods I thought decreasing by .5 to start would be ok. I can't afford to be taper sick with all the responsibilities I'm going to have. Please advise 😢

Hi, @[Mi...], and welcome to BenzoBuddies! We're glad you've found us!

Really sorry for you and your mother! I think It's very wise of you to decide to taper off of klonopin. Don't be afraid. It's manageable! I'm not good at tapering but i'm sure other more knowledgeable members will chim in and share their advice. 

Just a few words from me. I guess, you're going to make too big a cut, especially considering the situation with your Mother. I'd be more cautious. It's usually recommended to reduce by 5-10% from your previous dosage every 2-3 weeks, symptom oriented. Good luck to you!

• Like 2

[Al...]

Hi @[Mi...]

Hopefully some more experienced members will join the conversation soon, but if I were you, I might try a very small reduction of about 5% over several weeks to see how I react. Tapering is typically easier at the higher end of the range, so you might find that you can at least start to reduce your dose and remain functional. Once you get down to lower doses, you would need to be careful as things get tougher and are more likely to impact your ability to function.

• Like 2

[Co...]
2 hours ago, [[M...] said:

I would like to taper off Klonopin, but now that I see the stories on how difficult this is going to be I'm saddened I probably won't be able to. My Mother had a stroke and is coming home , with me providing much of her care. She is paralyzed on one side. That itself is giving me more anxiety. I've been taking 2 milligrams for about a year. Before I researched the taper methods I thought decreasing by .5 to start would be ok. I can't afford to be taper sick with all the responsibilities I'm going to have. Please advise 😢

Hello @[Mi...]. Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

You might or might not be OK with reducing your daily by 0.5mg from 2mg to 1.5mg. Some manage an initial larger cut of that kind of size, but nearly always will manage better by making smaller cuts as they progress the taper.

Having said that, a safer approach would be to make a cut of about 0.25mg (or even 0.125mg). Assuming you are using 0.5mg tablets, this would equate to half or quarter pills (respectively). What dose are your Klonopin pills? If they are a larger size, I would suggest asking your doctor for a prescription for 0.5mg pills.

Generally, smaller, more frequent reductions to dose are better tolerated than larger, less frequent reductions, even if the overall taper rate is similar.

I will also add that there is great variability in how people react to withdrawal of benzodiazepines. Yes, time on the medication is a large factor, and as a long-term user, you are more likely to experience pronounced withdrawal affects. However, there remains a great deal of variability, so you should not assume the worst. It is also worth bearing in mind that BenzoBuddies tends to attract those who have already attempted to taper/quit and experience problems. Whereas those who experience few problems have little reason to seek out help from BenzoBuddies, so we do not hear from them. This creates a distorted picture of what to expect. Again, since you have not already attempted to withdraw, you should not assume the worst.

• Like 3

[Ia...]

I feel for you. I’m worried I’m about to go and withdraw myself and I’m a single mom and the sole caretaker for two children. I don’t know what to do and I don’t wanna lose my kids so my heart is with you on this one. I get you. How do caretakers taper?????