Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Starting point

How do you know where to start your taper, I was taking 1.5 -1.75 mg but I fought taking anymore. I fought taking more.Started doing a taper starting at 1.5 on July 18th.Always wanting more,dropped to 1.25 and no way.Back to 1.5.This is a Ativan taper.I talked DR about going to a longer acting benzo she said she prefers to use the original benzo.I need help I’m afraid she doesn’t know what she’s doing.And Dr are hard to come by here.Help and Thanks

@[...] welcome - it sounds like you are just starting out, you are in the right place.  Like you am starting out but am a few weeks further along.  There will be experts that will chime in but to start I would say the recommended cut is 5-10% every 2-4 weeks.  

The Ashton Taper Method and the Maudsley Deperscribing Guidelines are two good starting places.  You can take a look and see what kind of taper you think will work for you.  I am planning on a hyperbolic taper, so small decreases, when I am ready to start.  I was at .5 Ativan to start then drastically went down to .25 which was bad, then my psychiatrist switched me over to Valium to make it smoother, I’m still stabilizing with it because of my large cut in the beginning of the month I’m still adjusting.

Can you tell us how long have you been on Ativan?  Have you tried to taper before ?  That will help other members help direct you.  

I think this is a good starting place others who are much smarter than me about all of this will be able to help you - keep asking questions you are in good hands.  

• Like 1

[kn...]

I’ve been tapering Diazepam for nearly three years now. Started from 4mgs of Klonopin and 1mg of Ativan. Prescriber started me out on a Diazepam crossover of 60 mgs and started down from there.  Now at .333 mgs and reducing @a rate of 5% every four weeks. Everything cited by @[...] is great advice and should be passed on to your provider.  You will need to exert some degree of autonomy and be your own advocate or you will be held hostage and controlled by their prescription pad. Sounds harsh, but must be done to some degree if you’re going to survive.  My position comes from my own experience having escaped from a Nazi psych who nearly killed me along the way. 

[El...]

@[...] I am also tapering Ativan, so perhaps I can help. I just have a few questions that might help me understand your situation better. How long have you been taking Ativan? Have you ever tried to taper before except for your recent reduction and susequent updose? How often do you dose daily? If you dose more than once daily, at what times and how many mg in each dose? Are your presently stable at 1.5 mg? Do you wish to cut and weigh your pills for a dry taper? Please do not think these questions are intrusive…just gathering information so you can commence your taper successfully.

Look forward to hearing from you!